Ultimate Sleeper....

Classy

So has anyone thought about making a sleeper? Been poking around at these kits..

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f38/finally-supercharged-rallye-redline-3-6l-v6-177489/

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f38/finally-supercharged-rallye-redline-3-6l-v6-177489/

I dont have the money to do this but it sure would be cool if someone did it would have a lot of people guessing...

It has always been my understanding that a SUV is built on a truck chassis/frame

where as a CUV is built on a car chassis.

The DJ is on the Avenger chassis at this point however both the MOT(ministry of transport) and my

insurance company list it as a truck on my paperwork.

I don't care - it's what I drive!

Give me a break: I have never owned a CUV, or whatever, before. So, I figured some nimrod @ CR came up with this: Compact Utility Vehicle. The last one of those might have been the CJ5/7.

I don't read CR.

Cross-over Utility Vehicle. CUV's are built on car platforms (uni body construction). Tradition SUV's are built on truck platforms (body on frame construction). Although the lines are getting blurred. Even though technically wrong, most manufacturers end up calling them SUV's anyway because people don't associate with CUV's as terminology intended for their vehicle. And, most insurances don't really know how to classify them...lol. True SUV's are the ones like Tahoe, Yukon, Expedition, Excursion, Armada, etc, Built on frames originally meant for trucks (Silverado, F150, F250, Titan). The Ford Explorer is a good example, originally built on the Ranger truck frame, it was a true SUV in the beginning, now it is based off the Taurus car and is really a CUV, but Ford still calls it an SUV.

Coming in late here. . . CR is just silly and steeped in opinion.

The DJ is a large Avenger. Its a car (CUV). I kinda think the Pentastar DJ already is quite a sleeper. It will quietly blow the doors off of most vehicles on the road, and I feel like the suspension is quite good. When I take a corner at speed, there is almost no suspension dive. It isn't going to handle like a sports car because it is very top heavy (especially with bikes, surfboards, and gear on the roof Ha!). FWD hinders some, and while AWD may be better, its heavy and can be just another thing to cause problems. I once entered an off ramp intended for 25mph at 60mph unintentionally, the brakes and suspension handled that situation well enough to keep me alive, keep my DJ on the road, and the impress the passengers in the back seat with its performance. I looked pretty stupid, but my DJ saved my @$$. I have been happy with my purchase since 2011. Still runs like the day I brought it home.

Peace.

You are correct that your 94 GC is a unibody, as was the Cherokee that was downsized around 1984. However, your 97 Explorer definitely had a frame. I had a 2003 Eddie Bauer and a 96 Sport and they both had frames. In fact, all Explorers had frames until they came out with that ugly thing based on a Taurus which is based on a Volvo S90, back when Ford owned Volvo. Whew! The Taurus X should have been called an Explorer. There is my 2 cents!

When I was in the Air Force, stationed @ Eglin AFB, there was a bay down there called Boggy Bayou. All the 4x4s were jacked up so high you needed a few plastic milk boxes or a small step ladder just to get in the damn things. Us Yankees referred to them as Boggy Boy Trucks. Maybe that was an honor.

BTW, does the Avenger have the same wheel base as the DJ?

• 2 weeks later...

All I'm saying is the definitions. SUV, body on frame. CUV, unibody. Jeep is a different animal altogether. Call them what you want. I really don't care. Heck, my insurance says my DJ is a truck. Go look for filters for a DJ on those Walmart electronic parts things in the oil section, the DJ is in the truck menu with the ram and Dakota. Call it whatever makes your man-noids happy. Just know if anyone refers to it as a SUV, I'm going to correct them.

Here ya go:

http://www.vehiclecharts.com/suv-comparison-chart.html

As I said, the lines are blurred because there are unibody vehicles referred to as SUV's.

Edited by jkeaton

All of the Jeep's since the middle 80's, when they downsized the Cherokee and then came out with the GC actually have a frame but the body is welded to the frame, not bolted: thus, a unibody. That is why you can put a lift kit on it. My Nitro was the same way, based on the second generation Liberty. Lift kits were made for both of them. I'm not sure about the newest GC, because it was in development when Diamler owned Chrysler. So, the present Jeep CG shares many parts with the Mercedes M series, as they were both being developed together. The Chrysler 300, Charger, and Challenger all sit on E Series mechanics.

• 1 month later...