Just ordered! 4 cyl vs V6?

Hello everyone,

I recently ordered a 2015 Dodge Journey SXT for the wife. I am in the Air Force and live in Okinawa, Japan. I used the Exchange New Car Sales program. When pricing the car against the Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Compass, and Ford Escape this seemed like a great deal. We have one child and plan on having another one late next year. We added a lot of options to the car such as sunroof, upgraded sound, navigation, rear back up camera, etc. I went with the 4 cylinder engine. I can change to the V6 as I don't leave here until August. If I recall correctly, the salesman said they usually place the order around June or July.

My question to all of you is this. If you have the 4-cylinder engine and could pick the V6 engine (and vice versa), would you? I would stick with FWD and not AWD. I noticed the gas mileage does not seem too much better on the 4-cylinder. I wouldn't really need to haul anything with a trailer. This car will basically be a bigger car for the family.

I apologize in advance if this is discussed somewhere else. I took a quick look around. I look forward to reading more about the Journey. Thank you in advance.

Josh

I have access to both engines in 2014 Journeys. 14 R/T Rallye AWD and 14 SXT Blacktop. My experience from a performance standpoint is the V6 and I4 are roughly similar from launch in power. Unfortunately the V6 is gutless from a standstill, likely due to Chryslers programming for Journey. Once you get up in the powerband, however, the I4 continues putting along while the V6 pulls hard. I still amazes me how easily this wagon passes other cars on the highway. I still miss my V8 for its ability to spin the rear tires at a moments notice, however the highway power more than makes up for it.

Highway fuel economy is slightly better with the I4. We get 30+ easily in the Blacktop. The R/T Rallye is no slouch as it easily returns 27 and is capable of 28+. City driving gives a nod to the I4 Blacktop, as it consistently gets 20-22 depending on traffic (occasional stop-n-go). My commute is 3 miles with lots of stop-n-go and my V6 R/T returns 16.5-17.

I have access to both engines in 2014 Journeys. 14 R/T Rallye AWD and 14 SXT Blacktop. My experience from a performance standpoint is the V6 and I4 are roughly similar from launch in power. Unfortunately the V6 is gutless from a standstill, likely due to Chryslers programming for Journey. Once you get up in the powerband, however, the I4 continues putting along while the V6 pulls hard. I still amazes me how easily this wagon passes other cars on the highway. I still miss my V8 for its ability to spin the rear tires at a moments notice, however the highway power more than makes up for it.

Highway fuel economy is slightly better with the I4. We get 30+ easily in the Blacktop. The R/T Rallye is no slouch as it easily returns 27 and is capable of 28+. City driving gives a nod to the I4 Blacktop, as it consistently gets 20-22 depending on traffic (occasional stop-n-go). My commute is 3 miles with lots of stop-n-go and my V6 R/T returns 16.5-17.

I am in rush hour traffic both to and from work every day... I would say that I drive approximately 70-80% "city" and I get about 23-24mpg consistently. (just posting for comparison purposes)

Awesome news. Yeah I think I am going to upgrade it to the V6 and also add the Blacktop package. It's a shame I won't see it until August.

Update - I did upgrade to the V6 and the Blacktop package. I took off the Popular equipment package to make up for it.

Edited by af3ll

I'm a crew chief and currently work in Quality Assurance. I've worked on KC-135s at Grand Forks and McConnell. I've also worked RC-135s at RAF Mildenhall in England and now here at Kadena in Okinawa.Thanks to you as well.