Trunk space with third row up?

Thesuffering

Looking at 2014s and saw one today. There wasn't a ton of room with the third row opened up. I have 3 kids, one of which is under 2 and we have a BOB jogging stroller that we use as our primary stroller. It's not exactly tiny. Will one fit on its side? What's the measurements from seat to rear door while the seat is up? I know it has more than plenty with the seats down, but that defeats the purpose of having a third row.

• 2 weeks later...

I just measured mine and its 13 inches. Like the above said you can always put one side down and the stroller will fit. I have 3 car seats in mine for my 13mth old twins and 4 year old daughter and they all go in the 2nd row! We have a double stroller for the twins and that fits fine with 1 side down.

I would say go minivan. With 3rd row up I can't fit the foldable chicco stroller. Maybe enough room for moderate grocery shopping, but not for stroller.

T&C or GC will fit much better for 3 kid family, IMHO. T&C is the second vehicle on our family, actually.

Durango is a viable alternate as well. Like the Journey, it has three rows of seats but it is several inches longer than the Journey so there may be room for your stuff in the tailgate with all the seats up. LIke Lobitz stated, you can fold one side down and still keep a seat open for the baby. The best overall vehicle for seating and storage, though, is the Grand Caravan / T&C, hands-down. They really do it all.

Agree, just 2 boys but lugging around goalie or baseball equipment all year. Took a trip to Cooperstown for tournament in August ( 10 hrs drive), brought the dog too, We had to ask friends to bring a couple of our bags with them. Our old Dodge Caravan Sport got almost the same mileage but had A LOT more room. I love our 2012 Journey but, in your current situation; my thoughts are get a caravan / grand caravan.

• Official Dodge Support

Agree, just 2 boys but lugging around goalie or baseball equipment all year. Took a trip to Cooperstown for tournament in August ( 10 hrs drive), brought the dog too, We had to ask friends to bring a couple of our bags with them. Our old Dodge Caravan Sport got almost the same mileage but had A LOT more room. I love our 2012 Journey but, in your current situation; my thoughts are get a caravan / grand caravan.

probak118,

Good point, although the Journey has good storage capacity etc., a Grand Caravan might be the right call.

@Thesuffering - Have you taken a look at the Dodge Grand Caravan? Great performance/comfort and amazing cargo capacity, especially on those long trips!

• 2 weeks later...

Behind-seat space is one of the reasons I opted for a 2-row Journey. Since I have zero need for a 3rd row (unmarried, and my two kids are the furry four-legged variety... no I did not mate with big foot's daughter), I'd have it folded 24/7, which defeats the purpose and eliminates the storage below the load-floor. The only reason I'd want the flexible-seating group is to have HVAC vents behind the first row, which 2-row Journey's strangely do not have.

But Bear, my Nova Scotia Retriever, loves all the space he has behind the second row in the absence of a third row. If I needed a third row vehicle, I would get a Durango without hesitation. I'm not the type to even entertain the thought of a minivan... but it's your call. There's no question how versatile the Grand Caravan and Town & Country both are.

Looking at 2014s and saw one today. There wasn't a ton of room with the third row opened up. I have 3 kids, one of which is under 2 and we have a BOB jogging stroller that we use as our primary stroller. It's not exactly tiny. Will one fit on its side? What's the measurements from seat to rear door while the seat is up? I know it has more than plenty with the seats down, but that defeats the purpose of having a third row.

ok... in the U.S. you have big roads and big parking lots...

in Italy the giant Dodge Durango would be very hard to drive in our cities :lol:

anyway, the pourpose of the Journey is having a FOLDABLE third row in a non-giant car