3 months in

hockey_puck

It's been 3 months since delivery and to be honest, not much to report. Only one visit to the dealer and that was for a screw in the middle of a tire that I picked up. It wasn't even leaking air. I just happened to see it when washing the Journey. No mechanical issues at all. I did have to do a bit of extra cleaning due to a bit of a sloppy install of the body side molding, but detailing is a hobby of mine anyway, so not a big deal. There are now 3 coats of wax on it, including doing the door jambs once. There isn't a bug made that will stick to my Journey!

I did change out the black standard carpet floor mats for Lloyd mats which are much thicker and plush. Went for the beige colour, and are far easier to keep clean as those black ones show every speck of grit. Since I have the chrome clad wheels and a huge snow tire advocate, I purchased a set of 17 inch alloy wheels from a recycler. for just a bit more than a standard set of new steel wheels. A note for others thinking of this, 17inch Caravan wheels are identical to Journey wheels which gives a big increase in choices. After a lot of research I plan to purchase the upcoming Blizzak WS 80 tires for our delightful winters. I was thrilled to see that my 2014 came with ceramic brake pads. Keeping the wheels clean is super easy as ceramic brakes give off very little dust and it is white, which doesn't show.

Only thing I find a bit strange is the location inside the centre console for the USB port. I load mp3 favourites on a flash drive and it is a bit of a pain to try to insert into the port. The premium audio system is ok.. I realize some prefer a better subwoofer, but since I don't need to feel my liver vibrate, it is fine for me.

Only one highway trip to Grand Forks N.D. and back. Love the V6 and cruises the 75 mph speed limit on I29 with little effort. Gas mileage exactly as expected and better than the old Caravan, even though I seem to have lead weights on the bottom of my feet.

1st 5k oil change in a few weeks. I don't drive too much.

Nice report! Why are you changing the oil so soon? Is the oil change light on?

No, light not on. I've always have changed oil on my vehicles at 5000 km. I know they say go longer, but i consider it very cheap insurance to do it then. My 12 yr old Caravan with well over 200k on it purred like a kitten, and with well rusted rockers brought in over 1k at an auction since I included the complete service record with it. When into normal driving pattern that will be about twice a year. I drive a lot less since retirement.

I change mine every 8k miles just like the computer tells me to do (+/- a few hundred miles). New engines aren't what they were decades ago. People are just throwing out money by changing it twice as often!

Agree 1,000%... Use good oil and filters and stick to what the manufacturer requires...

I agree with you both. I just, I can't, I try, I, I, I JUST CAAAAAANNNNT DO IT!!!!!! :hyper:

I have a 95 Silverado with 200K and a 95 Mustang with 150k, I change the oil on those every 3000 miles and the oil coming out looks like, well, black water, I mean nasty looking stuff...I have the best (worst?) of both worlds. New cars that I waste money on too frequent oil changes, and older cars that apparently I dont do enough....

We bought our DJ in Nov. 2013 with 11,000 miles on it. I changed the oil in May 2014 when we were at 19,200 right after a trip to Chicago (thats 6 months and 8000 miles). The light was not on but I wanted fresh oil in it after that 1400 mile round trip. The oil was pretty black, but I have no idea if it was changed before we bought it. I reset the light per the manual even though it was not on, so I hope it still reset it. I will see how long it takes for the light to come on, but I dont know if I can wait.....in the two months or so since then, we have put about 2500 miles on her (trip to Florida last week). so we are approaching my dreaded 3000/3 month mark....can I do it?????

Edited by jkeaton

I agree with you both. I just, I can't, I try, I, I, I JUST CAAAAAANNNNT DO IT!!!!!! :hyper:

I have a 95 Silverado with 200K and a 95 Mustang with 150k, I change the oil on those every 3000 miles and the oil coming out looks like, well, black water, I mean nasty looking stuff...I have the best (worst?) of both worlds. New cars that I waste money on too frequent oil changes, and older cars that apparently I dont do enough....

We bought our DJ in Nov. 2013 with 11,000 miles on it. I changed the oil in May 2014 when we were at 19,200 right after a trip to Chicago (thats 6 months and 8000 miles). The light was not on but I wanted fresh oil in it after that 1400 mile round trip. The oil was pretty black, but I have no idea if it was changed before we bought it. I reset the light per the manual even though it was not on, so I hope it still reset it. I will see how long it takes for the light to come on, but I dont know if I can wait.....in the two months or so since then, we have put about 2500 miles on her (trip to Florida last week). so we are approaching my dreaded 3000/3 month mark....can I do it?????

I know what you mean brother. I can't either! LOL

I'm the same way, guys. My 300M is running testament to the benefits of frequent oil changes. Every 3500-4000 miles and it does not smoke at start-up and uses maybe a half quart of oil in between. 292,000 miles and the engine is quiet. The Journey is the first car that I ever used synthetic oil in. Every 5000 miles I change it - way more than needed, I know, but I just can't let it go longer than that - even though I tell my own customers that it's no problem to do so!

Interestingly, the oil change reminder came on for the first time at 9500 miles. I now have 22,700 miles and it has yet to come back on again. I haven't found any discussion about how the interval is calculated other than it being a complex algorithm that takes multiple factors into consideration to produce an oil change message.

I have a friend who had a stroke last year and his car sat for eight months without being started. Needless to say the battery was completely drained and we had to boost it to get it started. After we got it running, the oil change indicator came on but he had only 50 miles on the odometer since his last oil change. That tells me that not only is the mileage part of the consideration but also time must be one of those factors as well.

I have a friend who had a stroke last year and his car sat for eight months without being started. Needless to say the battery was completely drained and we had to boost it to get it started. After we got it running, the oil change indicator came on but he had only 50 miles on the odometer since his last oil change. That tells me that not only is the mileage part of the consideration but also time must be one of those factors as well.

Yeah, it should turn on at 6 months, regardless of miles driven...

• Official Dodge Support

rolly,

Sorry to hear about your friend...

The oil indicator system will calculate both time and kilometers driven along with many other factors that influence the life of the oil.

If a vehicle has to sit, the system will calculate the time and if it hits 6 months, the vehicle will recognize this and the display will prompt an oil change.

I change my oil at 5000 km with synthetic and always manufacters filter. Going as the factory says may be good for no problems at their time and mileage intervals while under warranty but for those who buy used or keep their veicles for a long time you

should use shorter intervals. With all the VVT and VCT systems they are using now all it takes is to get some crud into that system and the expensive repairs begin.

I change my oil at 5000 km with synthetic and always manufacters filter. Going as the factory says may be good for no problems at their time and mileage intervals while under warranty but for those who buy used or keep their veicles for a long time you

should use shorter intervals. With all the VVT and VCT systems they are using now all it takes is to get some crud into that system and the expensive repairs begin.

This statement really has no fact, just opinion... Fact is that the manufacturer suggest intervals based on engineering and systems knowledge. I can agree doing it more often doesn't hurt, but to suggest that the manufacturer requirements are not stringent enough is really nothing more than opinion, likely not based on anything other than word of mouth, habit, etc.

This statement really has no fact, just opinion... Fact is that the manufacturer suggest intervals based on engineering and systems knowledge. I can agree doing it more often doesn't hurt, but to suggest that the manufacturer requirements are not stringent enough is really nothing more than opinion, likely not based on anything other than word of mouth, habit, etc.

Yup, just opinion! Built enough engines in my 66 years to have no experience and believe everything the factory tells me. Being from Minnesota you should know all too well about cold starts in the winter.

But hey, no harm, no foul. As I stated in another post, everyone has an opinion.

Yup, just opinion! Built enough engines in my 66 years to have no experience and believe everything the factory tells me. Being from Minnesota you should know all too well about cold starts in the winter.

But hey, no harm, no foul. As I stated in another post, everyone has an opinion.

Damn old-timers! Always pulling the age card! :)

It's been 3 months since delivery and to be honest, not much to report. Only one visit to the dealer and that was for a screw in the middle of a tire that I picked up. It wasn't even leaking air. I just happened to see it when washing the Journey. No mechanical issues at all. I did have to do a bit of extra cleaning due to a bit of a sloppy install of the body side molding, but detailing is a hobby of mine anyway, so not a big deal. There are now 3 coats of wax on it, including doing the door jambs once. There isn't a bug made that will stick to my Journey!

I did change out the black standard carpet floor mats for Lloyd mats which are much thicker and plush. Went for the beige colour, and are far easier to keep clean as those black ones show every speck of grit. Since I have the chrome clad wheels and a huge snow tire advocate, I purchased a set of 17 inch alloy wheels from a recycler. for just a bit more than a standard set of new steel wheels. A note for others thinking of this, 17inch Caravan wheels are identical to Journey wheels which gives a big increase in choices. After a lot of research I plan to purchase the upcoming Blizzak WS 80 tires for our delightful winters. I was thrilled to see that my 2014 came with ceramic brake pads. Keeping the wheels clean is super easy as ceramic brakes give off very little dust and it is white, which doesn't show.

Only thing I find a bit strange is the location inside the centre console for the USB port. I load mp3 favourites on a flash drive and it is a bit of a pain to try to insert into the port. The premium audio system is ok.. I realize some prefer a better subwoofer, but since I don't need to feel my liver vibrate, it is fine for me.

Only one highway trip to Grand Forks N.D. and back. Love the V6 and cruises the 75 mph speed limit on I29 with little effort. Gas mileage exactly as expected and better than the old Caravan, even though I seem to have lead weights on the bottom of my feet.

1st 5k oil change in a few weeks. I don't drive too much.

Very good report, I have had mine only for two months. Do not drive it much in the summer months, ride a bike, health kick LOL