Anyone buy the extended warranty or service contract?

Steven

I might be a sucker, but I did. Mostly because everytime I am put in this position, no matter how much I tell my wife ahead of time, she always becomes a car salesman, "i really think its a good idea". I actually think it might have been a good deal. What do you guys all think? Did anyone else buy an extended warranty? I bought a 7 year 100K warranty, it covers more than just powertrain. Also, I bought an oil change service contract good for 5 years. I figured, that by doing so, it would create a great record at the dealership as evidence of regular maintenance, should I have a claim against the lifetime warranty or the extended warranty, later. The cost was relatively minimal for it. It was $360.00 for 5 years of oil changes (4 per year 3k each), tire rotations every other oil change, and free state and IM tests every year for 5 years. Then if something goes bad, they cant say i didnt do the service.

The bad side, is now they will push their services, most of which are unnecessary. In fact, the manager said to plan on the 15k and 30k service, but the manual says nothing about a major 15K and 30k service.

steve

I might be a sucker, but I did. Mostly because everytime I am put in this position, no matter how much I tell my wife ahead of time, she always becomes a car salesman, "i really think its a good idea". I actually think it might have been a good deal. What do you guys all think? Did anyone else buy an extended warranty? I bought a 7 year 100K warranty, it covers more than just powertrain. Also, I bought an oil change service contract good for 5 years. I figured, that by doing so, it would create a great record at the dealership as evidence of regular maintenance, should I have a claim against the lifetime warranty or the extended warranty, later. The cost was relatively minimal for it. It was $360.00 for 5 years of oil changes (4 per year 3k each), tire rotations every other oil change, and free state and IM tests every year for 5 years. Then if something goes bad, they cant say i didnt do the service.

The bad side, is now they will push their services, most of which are unnecessary. In fact, the manager said to plan on the 15k and 30k service, but the manual says nothing about a major 15K and 30k service.

steve

hey Steve, we will be buying the extended warranty as long as we can get it. I think here it is 7 yrs and 160,000km's. If there is a problem Dodge can foot the bill. that's the way I see it anyhow

We ended up adding the Lifetime Maximum Care Plan.

Essentially that continues the Bumper to Bumper warranty for as long as my wife and I own the car (with a $100 deductible per visit).

We paid $1750 for this additional warranty. Our plan is for me to use this car for my work for a few years, then it will be our family car. We fully intend to have our Journey for at least 10 years.

If you want to look up some warrantys, check out www.chryslerwarrantys.com

You can find out all the info on the maximum care warrantys (including the lifetime warranty)

John

• 4 weeks later...

Essentially that continues the Bumper to Bumper warranty for as long as my wife and I own the car (with a $100 deductible per visit).

We paid $1750 for this additional warranty. Our plan is for me to use this car for my work for a few years, then it will be our family car. We fully intend to have our Journey for at least 10 years.

You can find out all the info on the maximum care warrantys (including the lifetime warranty)

John

We were quoted $1900 and $2400 for the "Better plan" and "Best Plan"

We're still debating. I'm wondering how much the dealer is willing to negotiate on those quotes.

The trick is to act semi interested and say "I'm not sure" a couple of times and then "I just don't know if it's worth the cost" That has always worked for me when talking to the dealer about the warranty. I always get the "Well what if I could give it to you for this price"

I usually tend to not go with an extended warranty but we got the 7 years/100,000 miles extending the bumper to bumper from 3/36,000. I told them I didn't really want it a couple times then he told me he could lower my interest rate nearly a half point which when you ran the numbers the difference was only $12 a month so I said what the heck let's cover it for the full 100,000 miles.

What are some of the financing rates you guys got? We ended up with 4.9%

• 2 weeks later...

4.99% is what the interest rate should be through chrysler on the Journey on a 5year term, if you go less it's cheaper interest rate, just remember, that some salesman will not give you the correct rates, I had one dealership tell me it was 8.5%, I just left, called my friend that works at another dodge dealer, and he just laughed and said no it should be 4.99% through chrysler.

You are lucky, we don't get that lifetime warranty here in Canada yet :( well as far as i know.... maybe there screwing me on that.. they seem to screw me on lots of stuff...

I turned down the extended service because it was only to extend bumper to bumper from 3yr/60k to 5yr/100k for $2000, which is way to much i think... I'm probably going to sell the car at 3 or 4 years anyway... maybe sooner...

4.99% is what the interest rate should be through chrysler on the Journey on a 5year term, if you go less it's cheaper interest rate, just remember, that some salesman will not give you the correct rates, I had one dealership tell me it was 8.5%, I just left, called my friend that works at another dodge dealer, and he just laughed and said no it should be 4.99% through chrysler.

You are lucky, we don't get that lifetime warranty here in Canada yet :( well as far as i know.... maybe there screwing me on that.. they seem to screw me on lots of stuff...

I turned down the extended service because it was only to extend bumper to bumper from 3yr/60k to 5yr/100k for $2000, which is way to much i think... I'm probably going to sell the car at 3 or 4 years anyway... maybe sooner...

We're actually with Harris Bank as they were lower then Chrysler Financial. Not sure if there are rate differences between the States and Canada. Our extended plan pushes to 7/100 and was less than $2k but not much less think ~$1900. We plan on keeping the Journey 10+ years if she lasts that long so I figured the extended plan is probably not a bad idea, it will at least cover us to 100k miles and the really big stuff is still covered under the Lifetime Powertrain.

We purchased the lifetime bumper to bumper $100 deductable per event coverage for $1695. We traditionally have been keeping cars 10-15 years, alternating between the 2 every 7or 8 so it is nice not to have to worry. With the MyGig, climate control etc.....just peace of mind. 7 years down the road and something happens.......I do not want a bad surprise. If we traded more often, might have thought differently.

We also bought the bumper to bumper lifetime. We travel a lot and live in a very rural are (it is 56 miles round trip for bread and milk) Had it three weeks and already have 1800 miles on it. We are also just over 100 miles from nearest dealer. Something goes wrong lifetime towing, one overnight rental, and two overnights $1000 for lodging (over 100 miles from home. With all the computer thingies etc et al decided it was worth piece of mind. Also I am 65 so this could very well be last new car I buy.

• 2 weeks later...
Is Dodge really improve that much, or they switch to the race car style? (every parts can switch out within like 1-2 hr)

Even strut & spring at all 4 corner included? IIRC, their basic morno strut only last for like 2 yr, then it will leak oil like crazy...

SuperTurbo,

I'm trying to determine what your question is here because it's not very clear to me.

Is your question "Is Dodge really improved that much"? My questioned back would be "Compared to what?". You have to be more specific and maybe you will get an answer from one of the Form Members.

What does your statement "their basic morno strut only last for like 2 yr, then it will leak oil like crazy" mean? I've had so far in excess of 50 new and used cars and find the struts are pretty much bullet proof on all cars. Hell, they are no doubt made by the same manufacturer. Ford, GM or Chrysler don't manufacturer a lot of the parts that go into a vehicle. They are supplied by auto parts manufactures.

In the future you're going to see a lot of cars, trucks and vans built by other auto manufactures and rebadged. A example is the new Volkswagen mini van produced for the North America market will be made by Chrysler but with a Volkswagen Badge.

So what I'm saying SuperTurbo is if you're looking for information, this is the place to come because you have a lot of knowledge and experience to draw from. If you're looking for something else than maybe you're on the wrong form.

Have a good day,

Keith

Hey Keith

sorry for the confusion...

What am I trying to ask is, for a regular dodge car, can it at least get close to Hyundai, or Mazda or even back to the late 80's dodge reliability.

OR

They are doing those warranty for marketing purpose?

OR

They are doing the maintenance into the new dimension? (Everything can get replaced easily like a race car)

For the strut, I understand it's very very bullet proof on all the car, but... they count as wear & tear component. (the best warranty covers it when I check that like 2 days ago)

Other than that, back to the mid late 90's dodge caravan's strut hardly last longer than 2 yr... That's why I am asking that...

Again I would suggest looking at the warranty package and see what it covers, the list is extensive. http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/maximum_care.cfm

Based on our experience with our 1999 Dodge Intrepid, 10 years and 115K miles, Chrysler is building good reliable cars. It was an ES model and the only issues we had were a transmission speed sensor, and window regulator failure, both fixed under warranty, and I did replace the trunk lid struts right before we sold it. Everything else, tires, brakes, rotors, a battery were normal wear items. We also have a 2000 Chevy Tahoe, it too has been rock solid, other than normal items, tires, brakes etc, I have replaced 1 fog light bulb in 8 yeras and 115K miles. So, are imports better cars, not in my experience, but I do believe in taking care of my cars. Other than a house, what do we spend that much of our money on?

Yea, I know taking good care on the car is required, and when i own my 96 caravan (Brand new from dealer, not a used car), I follow the maintenance schedule religiously, but still... end up with lots of problems...

When I got the car, the first thing I messed up is the rear brakes (I park my van with the hand brake on, so after like 1 week, the rear pad deform, and I need to replace that at my own cost)

then about 1 month later, electrical problem comes (All those interior light likes to go on & off depends on the car's mode) so all those wiring harness and stuff got replace by dodge under warranty

and then about 3 month later, cold winter comes, and the fuel gauge don't function properly (Suddenly drop down to no fuel or full of fuel), of course dodge fix it for free.

After that fix, I enjoy some problem free period for about a good 9 months, then the spring starting to falls apart. The Spring becomes very soft in sudden, good thing is under dealer's warranty, and after that, basically I need to visit the dealership almost every single month to fix something...

After like 4 yrs of having problems continuously, I finally decide to get another car...

Yea, I know taking good care on the car is required, and when i own my 96 caravan (Brand new from dealer, not a used car), I follow the maintenance schedule religiously, but still... end up with lots of problems...

When I got the car, the first thing I messed up is the rear brakes (I park my van with the hand brake on, so after like 1 week, the rear pad deform, and I need to replace that at my own cost)

then about 1 month later, electrical problem comes (All those interior light likes to go on & off depends on the car's mode) so all those wiring harness and stuff got replace by dodge under warranty

and then about 3 month later, cold winter comes, and the fuel gauge don't function properly (Suddenly drop down to no fuel or full of fuel), of course dodge fix it for free.

After that fix, I enjoy some problem free period for about a good 9 months, then the spring starting to falls apart. The Spring becomes very soft in sudden, good thing is under dealer's warranty, and after that, basically I need to visit the dealership almost every single month to fix something...

After like 4 yrs of having problems continuously, I finally decide to get another car...

Heh - My sister-in-law had a bunch of problems with a 96 Caravan that she bought new. She ended up taking it back to the dealer and dropping the keys on the counter after about a year as I recall. I think that was just a bad year for Caravans <_<

Our Journey SXT is now our fourth Chrysler vehicle going back to a 1990 Grand Voyager and we have not had a moment's issue with any of them. :dance:

Got the 999 month/999,999 miles bumper to bumper and everything else including towing/tires/everything and transferable to next owner (not like that is going to happen in ten years) Cost was $1950, added about $30 or so dollars to the price per month, but since the hubby said yes to it, I just nodded since it is my car anyways. Probably not the best price, but considering that I live in pothole Michigan with the worst roads I have ever driven on since I have been driving, I am sure I am going to need tire stuff done and struts and shocks and such long before anyone else. :hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...

I got the lifetime power train and bumper to bumper warranties thrown in for free. It's not transferrable though.

They are getting desperate for a sale now. I got a fully loaded SXT (minus the sunroof and 3rd row seating) for 24k out the door. I missed the 2.99 gas for 3 years by 4 days! Dang it!

It's ALWAYS a good idea to get the extended warranty on a new style of vehicle. They have a lot of bugs to work out and it makes it nice not to have to deal with it.

John

We bought the Lifetime Maximum Care Plan for our Magnum SXT and saw no reason not to get it for the Journey as well. It's like life insurance, you hope you never need it but it's still worth the cost and $1750 over the life of a typical loan today isn't even noticeable on your monthly payment.

Yep in Canada we are getting screwed with the warranties. It appears that Chrysler is desperate to sell more cars in the U.S. so is offering a much better warranty than up here.

We did buy extended up to 100k that includes all oil changes parts etc, additional or extended vehicle loaners and other stuff if the car is in the shop too long. We don't need an auto club membership while we are under the warranty as well.

I recall paying $1300 8 years ago for a Pontiac van extended warranty and the last year that we owned it, we changed a door window motor and regulator, a wiper motor assembly and something else that ended up making it worth while. Our radio is being changed already due to a few glitches so I think it will pay.

The Stewie

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anyone thought about what might happen if Chrysler's financial problems worsen to the point they declare bankrupcy? I hate to say it but it looks like a real possibility given the current economy. Will they honor these Chrysler service contracts, or will Chapter 11/13 render them null and void. I'm worried my contract may not be worth the paper it's printed on if that happens. I've always found that the Chrysler service contracts paid for themselves (sad but true), but I am strongly considering cashing this one in and rolling the dice with the lifetime powertrain only (assuming it would be honored).

I'm a life-long Chrysler owner, so I'm sure not wishing this on the company. I'm just looking out for my own economic situation.