Meat and Beer

Lobitz68

Two of my favorite hobbies these days are long days/nights in front of the smoker and brewing my own beer. Anyone else on the forum doing it? Whats you favorite recipe? What kind of equipment are you using? I'd love to discuss it with fellow enthusiasts on the forum... There are a lot of Canadians on this board too, so if you want to throw hockey into the discussion I'm game!!

What time is supper? Two of my favourite things is helping people eat the meat they prepared on their smoker and assisting them in drinking their homemade beer. I have too short an attention span for tending a smoker but we do a lot of barbecuing. My favourite is doing salmon with sour cream, chives and garlic and lemon. Better than candy!

What time is supper? Two of my favourite things is helping people eat the meat they prepared on their smoker and assisting them in drinking their homemade beer. I have too short an attention span for tending a smoker but we do a lot of barbecuing. My favourite is doing salmon with sour cream, chives and garlic and lemon. Better than candy!

To be fair, I usually use a propane smoker for it's ease of temperature control... So my tending usually consists of going to the kegerator in the garage and filling my pint glass with another homemade beer. The propane is nice for long overnight smokes where I want to get some sleep, or for the dead of the winter when it is -10 degrees F and I want some ribs. Purists will definitely tell me I'm cheating, but until I can afford a nice wood burner ($$$$$$$) I will continue to mainly use propane.

I'm quite a novice at the brewing; I have only brewed 5 batches to date, but man is it fun (and cheaper than buying beer too!). I will be making the transition to all-grain brewing this summer and can't wait to take it to the next level.

I'm with Rolly, what time would you like me to show up and do I need to bring anything? I'm guessing my invite is still in the mail ;-)

Terry

Edited by Windancer

I just started brewing last year. Got a simple "Mr. Beer" kit for Christmas. Only made two batches so far, just got through bottling an IPA. We'll see how it turns out.

Hopefully you will enjoy it enough to really get bitten. I now have my "brewery" in the garage. While I'm not a fan of Mr. Beer, brewing has to start somewhere. All-grain is where its at. Home brewing is a wonderful hobby, IMHO. Having a tap in the living room is the best!! I'm sure your IPA will be the best beer you ever drank. They all are. . . Because you're the brewer. ;)

Peace.

I'm a brewer and a smoker. I've been brewing since 1998. Smoking for the last two years. I have no favorites. I love my ESB and my IPA. I brew a mean jellybean stout as well. Brewing, mountain biking, surfing, smoking. Those are my past-times.

Peace.

Jelly bean stout? Do tell...

I'm a brewer and a smoker. I've been brewing since 1998. Smoking for the last two years. I have no favorites. I love my ESB and my IPA. I brew a mean jellybean stout as well. Brewing, mountain biking, surfing, smoking. Those are my past-times.

Peace.

You are doing all-grains, correct? What is your set up like? Using the big work site coolers for mash tunning?

I really do love brewing. It's awesome. My jelly bean stout is brewed with lots of dark grains and star anise in the secondary to make it taste like black jelly beans. I do have to comment on sanitation. I used to be super paranoid. Not now. Anything before the boil only gets a rinse. My fermenters and my kegs get the thorough cleaning. I use a rectangular cooler for a mash tun. I also do not use a circular sparge arm. I do a modified batch sparge with a drip filter. Works well for me.

Keep brewing. Kegging is way cooler and way easier than bottling.

Peace.

I really do love brewing. It's awesome. My jelly bean stout is brewed with lots of dark grains and star anise in the secondary to make it taste like black jelly beans. I do have to comment on sanitation. I used to be super paranoid. Not now. Anything before the boil only gets a rinse. My fermenters and my kegs get the thorough cleaning. I use a rectangular cooler for a mash tun. I also do not use a circular sparge arm. I do a modified batch sparge with a drip filter. Works well for me.

Keep brewing. Kegging is way cooler and way easier than bottling.

Peace.

I skipped bottles and went straight to kegs... I have enough growlers around to bring beer in if I feel the need to bring some with me.

I've been wine making since 2002 (fruit wine kits). I just got into beer making 2 years ago 2012. I use good quality beer kits. I know beer kits aren't the same as all grain, but I like them and I'm picky about beer. I'm just starting a strawberry blond, first time I'm using fruit. I made myself a 6 keg kegerator and skipped the bottles also. I'm also trying meads but they take a year to age so I'm not sure how there are yet. I also own a Bradley smoker that I use. The last thing I smoked was a prime rib roast with Jim Beam oak smoke.

And oh yah, Go Oilers!

I've been wine making since 2002 (fruit wine kits). I just got into beer making 2 years ago 2012. I use good quality beer kits. I know beer kits aren't the same as all grain, but I like them and I'm picky about beer. I'm just starting a strawberry blond, first time I'm using fruit. I made myself a 6 keg kegerator and skipped the bottles also. I'm also trying meads but they take a year to age so I'm not sure how there are yet. I also own a Bradley smoker that I use. The last thing I smoked was a prime rib roast with Jim Beam oak smoke.

And oh yah, Go Oilers!

Cool. I've never tried wine nor mead. My wife likes mead, but I'm not too fond of the sweetness. I just kegged a rye pale ale and dry hopped IPA. Enjoy your strawberry blonde!

Peace.

And oh yah, Go Oilers!

I've been thinking about trying wine (wife loves it and it ends up being so cheap), but haven't made the dive yet... Go Wild!

Edited by Lobitz68

• 2 weeks later...

Lobitz68,

What's in the smoker for the big weekend? We just had our first long weekend of the spring and we did ribs.

I'm going to the meat market after work to see what they've got, but I'm thinking some spares and maybe a couple of fatties...

In case you're not aware of the all mighty fatty, it is basically a mix of ground sausages that are rolled out thin and topped with whatever you can imagine (favorites are buffalo chicken, breakfast, and cuban) and then rolled into a log. The log is then wrapped in a bacon weave and smoked for 3-4 hours. They are then cut into 1" slices and served with whatever other crap is on the smoker.

One of the most versatile and amazing things I've ever made on the smoker. You are only limited by your imagination...

IMAG0511 2

IMAG0335 2

IMAG0342 2

IMAG0357

Edited by Lobitz68

• 1 month later...