UConnect NAV Cant Unlock MAPS?

• Official Dodge Support

Good afternoon,

@DodgeCACares brand new order is being ordered they couldn't fix it.

To update the maps on vehicle after the 3 year warranty is done they don't do it for free.

Blackout,

Thanks for the updates.

Let's hope the new unit will be the answer to the issues you've been having.

My 2011 that I bought 6 months ago came that way & I have researched this thing to death, my unit never gets out of the "GARMIN" start up page & or if in radio mode it just says "Loading Maps" and it never does. Evidently after reading days of threads & trying everything it appears that it is broken. I can't afford to pay 1500-2000 for a stupid radio that will probably do it again.

If there is any hope let me know, I have a schedule for tomorrow 03/04/15 at dealer for them to LooK at it, but I will not feel good if ll they do is say "replace it" & charge me.

Garry

post-10016-0-06618200-1425412134_thumb.j

Gary;

If they can't get it running, you might simply want to go out and find an RE2 (same device, but without the navigation) that can be had for a couple of hundred dollars - you just swap your Siruis subscription into the new radio (assuming you have an active subscription on your current one) and with the exception of not having the nav, everything works as was . . . . .

If the radio is from a '13 or '14 you will need to solicit an unlock code- there is a member here who can help you with that.

Changing the radio itself isn't complicated - about 10 minutes in total.

• 1 month later...

Well I guess I am joining the club of the "Can't unlock maps". I have a 2013 Journey Crew and this just happen this morning. I stopped at the Ottawa Dodge dealer and they will have a look at it on Thurday 23 Apr 15. Now that I know that some of you guys have the same issues I will be able to tell them that it seem to be a problem on more that just mine. I will keep this forum inform of the result. The service manager told me it was on the warranty.

On Jan 1st I got the message "cannot unlock maps". Tried to update software, no change so they replaced the radio. April 17 same message again. Try software updates no change so again Dodge is changing the radio! Anyone have this happen multiple times???? Suggestions!!!!

If anyone in the Montreal area has a vehicle that is under warranty and has the 'can't unlock maps' error and doesn't mind wasting an hour or two, PM me and perhaps we can get together and try something before you take the car to the dealer.

At least whatever we do won't invalidate your warranty since the unit is already dead and they can't do any diagnostics in any case (any time you play with flash code there is a risk of bricking the unit . . . .).

• Official Dodge Support

Just came back from the dealer and they tried to re flash and it did not work. The same message appeared do they ordered a new radio. It should arrive approx. in one week. Hopefully this one will work and it will last.

Mysty2,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the nav., these types of problems can be frustrating.

Keep us posted if you can.

Larryl, did you ask the dealer what was going to happen when your warranty end. I think that if the problem persist with your vehicle they should fix the problem indeterminately or keep changing the radio until you change vehicle. From what I see it seems to be a problem with our vehicle. After they install the new radio on mine, I am anxious to see how long it will last.

I would be curious to find out if the other Dodge/Chrysler owners have the same issue that we have?

DodgeCACares, this seem to be a problem with the DJ as few members on this forum have had that problem reoccurring. They changed radio two, three times already. I hope this is not going to happen to mine because this is a pain in the b.... to go to dealer all the time. Don't you think that Dodge should look at this problem more closely to find a solution to this problem. Also, are you aware of any others Dodge/Chrysler owners with the same problem.

• Official Dodge Support

DodgeCACares, this seem to be a problem with the DJ as few members on this forum have had that problem reoccurring. They changed radio two, three times already. I hope this is not going to happen to mine because this is a pain in the b.... to go to dealer all the time. Don't you think that Dodge should look at this problem more closely to find a solution to this problem. Also, are you aware of any others Dodge/Chrysler owners with the same problem.

Mysty2,

Each and every warranty repair is examined to determine the failure rate of any one component.

The facts and figures in terms of warranty claims aren't published however I can assure you there is no advantage to the manufacturer by not addressing these kinds of patterns.

Mysty2,

Each and every warranty repair is examined to determine the failure rate of any one component.

The facts and figures in terms of warranty claims aren't published however I can assure you there is no advantage to the manufacturer by not addressing these kinds of patterns.

I am glad to read this; that they check the problem with any component that fail. I thought that they just discard it and that was the end of it. Thanks for the info. Are you aware if the Challenger, Charger, Dart or any other vehicle have the same issue ?

• Official Dodge Support

I am glad to read this; that they check the problem with any component that fail. I thought that they just discard it and that was the end of it. Thanks for the info. Are you aware if the Challenger, Charger, Dart or any other vehicle have the same issue ?

Mysty2,

I couldn't confirm for sure if the issue happens with other models for the same reason as the Journey, however as some systems are shared, it is possible.

Well went to the dealer and they change the radio and did the update. Took them approx 45 mins. But I had to wait couple hours before they started to work on it. They told me after the warranty is over I am on my own. Hope it will last; because I think that if they are aware of a problem with the radio or the programming they should be responsible to fix it.

Larryl, where Mysty2 comes from there is no time limit on latent defects - if it can be proved, the coverage will be extended to whatever the legal definition of the useful life of the item is.

The problem is that it will cost more than the price of replacement radios for the life of the car to win the case . .

But an extended warranty can stave off that date from the 3 year mark to 7 years in Canada - and the best time to buy it is when the vehicle is new - if you have more than 20K kms it gets more expensive and it can only be purchased during the initial 3 year warranty term in any case.

Edited by bramfrank