Ticking Noise

RickC

Just recently my wife noticed a ticking noise from her Journey RT. I had a listen, and it sounded like either a lifter, or possibly an exhaust leak (they sound similar). Since we were planning to take our Journey RT in for service because of the left turn grinding noise, we decided it was time.

They first tried replacing some rocker arms (not sure why...) but that didn't fix it. They said they eventually talked with a Chrysler tech who suggested it might be the intake... So they put a new intake on it and the noise is gone...? I'm a car guy. My hobby is working on old cars, but I don't much work on the new ones. Does anyone know what might cause a ticking noise in the intake?

And by the way, they fixed the left turn noise under the TSB I got from this forum. Thanks for that!

Rick

• 2 weeks later...
Just recently my wife noticed a ticking noise from her Journey RT. I had a listen, and it sounded like either a lifter, or possibly an exhaust leak (they sound similar). Since we were planning to take our Journey RT in for service because of the left turn grinding noise, we decided it was time.

They first tried replacing some rocker arms (not sure why...) but that didn't fix it. They said they eventually talked with a Chrysler tech who suggested it might be the intake... So they put a new intake on it and the noise is gone...? I'm a car guy. My hobby is working on old cars, but I don't much work on the new ones. Does anyone know what might cause a ticking noise in the intake?

And by the way, they fixed the left turn noise under the TSB I got from this forum. Thanks for that!

Rick

I have recently noticed the ticking noisse my self and took it into the dealer where they changed the lifters and exhaust lifters, car was in teh shop for 3 days for this repair. Got it back and it still ticked, Chrysler decided to change the engine ( i only have 9000 miles on it). It was in the shop 9 days for this. I got it back and it ticks worse then before. I am bringing it in again so they can try something else I will bring up the intake and see if this can be done. Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

After 3 months of the ticking and having the lifters replaced, ehxhaust lifters replaced, then the engine replaced, then the lifters again, then the intake, not to mention all the other issues that developed while my service department tooled around under the hood, Chrysler is buying back my Journey. If you are experiencing the tapping/ticking noise I would suggest taking it in to the dealer and have the check it out. I must say that Chrysler has been great through out the whole process, my dealer on the other hand is another story but Chrysler has just been terriffic in helping out.

Hi guys a weird thing happened to me today . I work at a Chysler dealer in Canada and was having trouble finding a grinding noise in a 09 journey with a 3.5 . I googled and found this forum ,i read some of your concerns that you have had with you cars and used that to diag. the problem .if your having a growl or grind you can also hear the belt tentioner I found the right engine mount making the noise . hope this helps . Oh and be nice to your Techs... we sometimes fix the first time!!!

Hi guys a weird thing happened to me today . I work at a Chysler dealer in Canada and was having trouble finding a grinding noise in a 09 journey with a 3.5 . I googled and found this forum ,i read some of your concerns that you have had with you cars and used that to diag. the problem .if your having a growl or grind you can also hear the belt tentioner I found the right engine mount making the noise . hope this helps . Oh and be nice to your Techs... we sometimes fix the first time!!!

Hey Chaps after having all that replaced my wife experienced a grinding noise coming from the engine at speeds around 45 mph. she also said the car sounded like she was driving on grooved pavement. This happened about 3-4 times as well as the check engine light coming on at the same time. The dealer was unable to duplicate this problem but they said the check engine light had to do with an O2 sensor, which they replaced and the light still came on. When the light comes on though the tranny bangs and the car hesitates. They cannot figure any of this out. I also had a whistle coming from the area around the alternator which they could not pinpoint. One of the other human errors was that they happened to destroy my axle seals while replacing the engine and I had tranny fluid everywhere. They said the car was good to go and on my 3 minute ride home I was leavinga trail of fluid. I know they did not even check the car after they worked on it, rumor has it there was a spill in the bathroom and the tech was need to go mop the floor. Anyway they blamed the whistle on the fluid which coated my belts. I cannot tell you if they were right as I parked the car at the dealer and refused to take it back as it is unsafe. But I suggest you speak with someone at chrysler and let them know what you found out about the grind/growl noise as I had the engine plant on the phone with my dealer for over 2 months and noone could figure it out. Turns out they are bringing my Journey back to the plant and taking it to the lab to tear it down to find out what went wrong.

You have delivered one very scary story-sounds like the late 70's instead of today

I'm seriously thinking of selling mine while I can get SOME money for it before they become worthless

The Toyota Venza is nice but not as big although more luxurious

Mine (touch wood) has been relatively problem free & runs good and the gas mileage has increased to over 22mpg from 20

I do like the vehicle just worries me that it is going to start falling apart

Good Luck

Rick

HeyRick, My SXT was in the shop for 3 days as well. They change the intake ,the rocker arm,exhaust. hope that is the problem. i love this car.

After replacing the intake, the ticking went away. Every once in a while my wife says she still hears it, but I haven't. I would still like to know what could possibly be ticking in the intake? Apparently there is some sort of small motor in the intake... but what does it do? Like I said originally, I'm old school. My understanding is that the intake is what the carb sits on. The intake is nothing but a series of runners where gas and air are mixed and sent to the cylinders... why would you need a motor there? To make the matter even more simple, new cars are fuel injected, so the only thing going through the intake is air... So what could they have possibly put in the intake to make it tick?

After replacing the intake, the ticking went away. Every once in a while my wife says she still hears it, but I haven't. I would still like to know what could possibly be ticking in the intake? Apparently there is some sort of small motor in the intake... but what does it do? Like I said originally, I'm old school. My understanding is that the intake is what the carb sits on. The intake is nothing but a series of runners where gas and air are mixed and sent to the cylinders... why would you need a motor there? To make the matter even more simple, new cars are fuel injected, so the only thing going through the intake is air... So what could they have possibly put in the intake to make it tick?

Rick, I don't know but my car doesnot tick no more. I am a happy person

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All, Let me tell you about the hell I've been though with my Journey with only 8 thousand miles on it. We had to have the car towed into the dealer. As I was taking my kids to school the car over heated severely. To the point the coolant soaked the rug and steam came in the car. The heater core had to be replaced,this took 45 day! Second time was a ticking sound, they replaced the lifters after I insisted they bring another RT over and compare. Also at this time power steering had to be replaced. That took a week. Today I'm headed back in with the same ticking sound. I wonder what wonderful lies Dodge has for me today.

Hello All, Let me tell you about the hell I've been though with my Journey with only 8 thousand miles on it. We had to have the car towed into the dealer. As I was taking my kids to school the car over heated severely. To the point the coolant soaked the rug and steam came in the car. The heater core had to be replaced,this took 45 day! Second time was a ticking sound, they replaced the lifters after I insisted they bring another RT over and compare. Also at this time power steering had to be replaced. That took a week. Today I'm headed back in with the same ticking sound. I wonder what wonderful lies Dodge has for me today.

I too have been in and out of the dealer 6 times (7th try will be next week) for a horrible sounding noise with my new Journey. It sounds to me like your car can fall under the lemon law....I would totally check this out. You need to be protected and not "pushed around" by Chrysler. There is no reason anyone should have to have a BRAND NEW car in the shop for this long. Lemon Laws differ from state to state. In my state a lemon comes into affect if:

1. The dealer has had 4 or more chances to fix one problem

or

2. The vehicle has been in the shop for the same reason for 30 cumulative days (Not consecutive).

Hope this may help you.

I have always been told not to buy a car in the first year due to problems and bugs that need to be worked out. That being said that really is the only way to make a more reliable auto is to have reall world issues address when they arise. Unfortunately we are the test subjects. I suggest an extended warrenty. We all have the life time power train atleast the US versions do. You can also get a life time max care warrenty (bumper to bumper) at a cost of course. Unlimited miles and time just like the power train, but in the max care coverage.

I have always been told not to buy a car in the first year due to problems and bugs that need to be worked out. That being said that really is the only way to make a more reliable auto is to have reall world issues address when they arise. Unfortunately we are the test subjects. I suggest an extended warrenty. We all have the life time power train atleast the US versions do. You can also get a life time max care warrenty (bumper to bumper) at a cost of course. Unlimited miles and time just like the power train, but in the max care coverage.

Hello again JourneyMan71! I totally agree with you about buying a brand new car in its first year. Its probably something I will never do again (I just fell in love with the Journey)....I am learning the hard way. I now realize it is a risk that I took.....but at the same time it is a risk for a car company to put a brand new vehicle out on the market.....In my opinion Chrysler needs to be more "careful" in putting a vehicle out like this and treat their customers that are having problems in the correct manner. I never thought owning my Dodge Journey would be so troublesome. It really makes me sad :-(

Hello again JourneyMan71! I totally agree with you about buying a brand new car in its first year. Its probably something I will never do again (I just fell in love with the Journey)....I am learning the hard way. I now realize it is a risk that I took.....but at the same time it is a risk for a car company to put a brand new vehicle out on the market.....In my opinion Chrysler needs to be more "careful" in putting a vehicle out like this and treat their customers that are having problems in the correct manner. I never thought owning my Dodge Journey would be so troublesome. It really makes me sad :-(

I am not telling anyone not to buy a new car, just you must know that with a all new auto it will need some years under its belt to get full quality from it. Bugs and tweeks need to be worked out. I am sorry you got a not so quality Journey. You are right about it being a risk for both parties. Look at the Caravan/T&C they were not that good in start, but now they are one of the Best Mini vans on the market. We are all faced with Hybrids and electric cars coming out soon. Keep you eyes on these as well. I am sure there will be a ton of issues with them from all auto makers. Just remember to get a WARRENTY,lol

We are looking into the lemon laws. Thanks for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have over 15,000 miles on my Journey now and to date I am pretty satisfied with it. The only problem I have had, and my dealer doesn't think it is a problem, is every once in awhile I hear the thud sound when going from reverse to first or is it vice-versa. I found if I put my foot on the brake good and not be in a hurry to switch gears, I don't get the thud sound. (I have a 6 speed automatic.) Other than that, this vehicle has been excellent on the road, in rain and snow too. I have had some Dodge Dakotas and Mercury Topazes that by now would have been serviced with a major problem. I am satisfied so far. I am using 89 Octane gas and synthetic oil and nitrogen in the tires. I firmly believe in the nitrogen tires and would recommend them as the tire pressure seems to stay up a lot longer than regular air, in my opinion. Also I have hauled a 16 ft. travel trailer plus a good sized utility trailer hauling hard wood.

I had the fear of getting a first year vehicle too but thought I would live dangerously. The van will be a year old next month and no real problems with it so far and I even let my wife drive it! I think I have been lucky so far after reading some of the problems others have had ... hope my luck holds up.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

When you guys talk about a ticking noise, when do you hear it? I was in a drive through over the weekend, no A/C on, just the vent, and I kept hearing a tick, about every 45 seconds. Kind of sounded like a small fan trying to kick on. Need to get my Journey into the dealer because of the TSB on the windshield cowl, and have them double check the power steering pump. I am hearing that noise again. I love my Journey (my 2nd - husband totalled the first one) and don't want to have major problems with it. So far, so good. Chrysler guys drove up to my dealership from Detroit to fix the power steering pump, and the heat shield growl. Also, the Chrysler guys told me that my transmission was just noisy. I hear my transmission kind of gurgle (it's the best description I've got). Anyone else have this "noisy" transmission? Have no problems shifting or towing so not sure if it's a problem. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I had new rockers installed for ticking,I informed them,that it might be the intake,they said no,but wanted to keep the car over night,so they could start it cold.they would call me in the morning.No phone call came I called them at 1:30 pm today they said they are replacing the intake.I'm begining to loose faith in them.I guess next will be a new engine.

Received this message today:

Thank you for your interest in K&N products. You are registered to receive notification about products for your vehicle. This email was sent automatically to inform you of available products that might fit this application. Listed below are the current K&N products for a 2009 DODGE JOURNEY 3.5L. Please review the full application description including comments to ensure that the product will fit your vehicle.

YearModelEngineCommentProduct TypePart NumberDescription

2009JOURNEY3.5L V6 F/IAllAir Filter 33-2423 NEW! Replacement Air Filter

2009JOURNEY3.5L V6 F/IAllOil Filter HP-2010 Oil Filter

When purchasing a K&N Replacement Air Filter or High-Flow Intake System don't forget to purchase a K&N Recharger kitfor proper cleaning and re-oiling of your K&N Air Filter.