AWD having issues

Coasterdot

We just bought in Oct a 12 Dodge Journey SXT AWD and it has been a headache since. It had 34,000 miles on it, so still under warranty and we bought the bumper to bumper to 100,000 too.

Well first we had an issue start with it shaking when you let off the gas peddle or brake, like really shaking. This led to check engine light. Went back to dealer and they turned off light and updated something on computer. Though shaking is still there. Then a couple weeks ago it was raining a lot here and I parked it front tires in at a friend's house, back tires on drive front on grass. We had a lot of people there, like 20 cars, so how we had to fit. Went to leave and the mud in the grass starting eating my Journey. I didn't run it like crazy, just tried to back it up. No turning of back tires. (Perhaps AWD doesn't work in reverse). Had to be pulled out by a tractor via trailer hitch. Nice little dent on back end now. A couple days later my check engine light comes on. Went to dealer again. Light is not covered since they can't figure out why it threw the code ($100 to reset). And AWD transaxel fluid is dirty and looks burnt. So we must pay to flush and clean fluid. Again not covered. Chalked it up to $333 mistake. Don't park head in on slippery conditions. Well vehicle back finally and now light is back on again. And we can tell AWD is not engaging again. Dealer is not calling me back. Worried it is another $100 turn off light expense again. Anyone else have this issue? I think this is just a crappy dealer, because we got remote start added and one fob didn't work, and they said sine fob isn't attached, its not covered by warranty, though brand new from mopar. Went to a dealer an hour away just to get fob replaced for bad transmitter, no charge of course.

Oh screw that dealer!!! When. I read that they charged YOU to reset the CEL.. I said out loud "ohh f#%^* that!

I can see them charging if there was no issue at all. But the light came on. OBVIOUSLY! There was a problem with the car.

AWD does work in reverse. Mine does.

Whatever you do, don't go back to that dealer.

Man, I am coming to the conclusion that the AWD system is not really worth the extra problems, money and mileage costs. Our 09 FWD DJ handled the snow arond here like a champ. I will stick with FWD. I would visit another dealer though. And, do yourself a favor, spend $20 and buy a code scanner/reader. One of the biggest rippoffs known today is charging someone to "read the codes". It's not rocket science. My code reader is the best tool in my toolbox.

Man, I am coming to the conclusion that the AWD system is not really worth the extra problems, money and mileage costs. Our 09 FWD DJ handled the snow arond here like a champ. I will stick with FWD. I would visit another dealer though. And, do yourself a favor, spend $20 and buy a code scanner/reader. One of the biggest rippoffs known today is charging someone to "read the codes". It's not rocket science. My code reader is the best tool in my toolbox.

I tend to avoid cars I have no clue about. AWD is completely foreign to me so I stayed away from them when I purchased my Journey. After reading certain things here I think I made a wise decision.

AWD seems to be a hot topic with our Journey's. More negative than positive.

AWD seems to be a hot topic with our Journey's. More negative than positive.

I did not want the AWD hassles. More parts, more things to go wrong, worse gas mileage, more cost. . . All for that one day that a surprise snow storm is too much for FWD. I don't know, but I think I made the right choice. Best of luck to all those with AWD. Hope nobody has problems.

Peace.

We just bought in Oct a 12 Dodge Journey SXT AWD and it has been a headache since. It had 34,000 miles on it, so still under warranty and we bought the bumper to bumper to 100,000 too.

Well first we had an issue start with it shaking when you let off the gas peddle or brake, like really shaking. This led to check engine light. Went back to dealer and they turned off light and updated something on computer. Though shaking is still there. Then a couple weeks ago it was raining a lot here and I parked it front tires in at a friend's house, back tires on drive front on grass. We had a lot of people there, like 20 cars, so how we had to fit. Went to leave and the mud in the grass starting eating my Journey. I didn't run it like crazy, just tried to back it up. No turning of back tires. (Perhaps AWD doesn't work in reverse). Had to be pulled out by a tractor via trailer hitch. Nice little dent on back end now. A couple days later my check engine light comes on. Went to dealer again. Light is not covered since they can't figure out why it threw the code ($100 to reset). And AWD transaxel fluid is dirty and looks burnt. So we must pay to flush and clean fluid. Again not covered. Chalked it up to $333 mistake. Don't park head in on slippery conditions. Well vehicle back finally and now light is back on again. And we can tell AWD is not engaging again. Dealer is not calling me back. Worried it is another $100 turn off light expense again. Anyone else have this issue? I think this is just a crappy dealer, because we got remote start added and one fob didn't work, and they said sine fob isn't attached, its not covered by warranty, though brand new from mopar. Went to a dealer an hour away just to get fob replaced for bad transmitter, no charge of course.

Did the dealer say what the code was? If so, what were they? They shouldn't be turning CEL's off unless the problem is fixed. Next time you get the CEL you could go to Autozone or Advance auto and have them check the engine light code for free or as mentioned by Mcgusto you can get OBD II scanner for fairly cheap and read the codes yourself.....check out code readers here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_5/187-0253629-6202672?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=obd%20ii%20scanner&sprefix=OBDII%2Caps%2C162 Also as mentioned by others you need to find another dealer or begin to really press this dealer for answers and a final solution with no more diagnosis and turn off payments.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

Im having an issue with my AWD .... in the snow and ice storm we've been having in ontario my AWD has been USELESS !!! .... Everytime my front wheels slip, so the trac light comes on - ie: acceleration away from a light - the dash board will *DING* and "Service All Wheel Drive" comes on ..... than i have no AWD .... and these things are useless without it. So I have to pull into a lot .... shut off the truck .... open the door and close it .... lock it with the key fob.... sit like a fool for 5 mins ... unlock with the keyfob, open the door ... close it ... than restart it and everythings great ........................................... until the front wheels slip again and it happens all over again ....... had it at the dealer and they said it had the wrong VIN programmed .. ?? ... it was programmed as a CVP with the smaller rims, VS my R/T with the 19's .... its still doing the same thing .... UGH

Code was AWD/ transaxel fluid overheat. When they looked at transaxel fluid, it was burnt. Finally got call from dealer that new code is 2nd cylinder misfire this time. Just bummed this vehicle got stuck with just two tires in mud and keeps having issues. Plus gas mileage has been awful, like 15-16 mpg even on freeways.

I can kumho is terrible with AWD. Whenever i make a turn on icy road and my front wheel starts to slip. AWD worsen the situation because as soon as my AWD kicks in my journey starts to spin.. So horrible, it happens sometime even im just changing lanes.. Im still very lucky that i didnt hit anything when that happened.. Winter tires is always best bet in my opinion!

I did an experiment of turning off STABILITRACK feature on my r/t. Hope it prevent me from spinning!

I think you guys have AWD issues.

Last couple of snow falls we've had, I porpously make the rears kick in to do a bit of a slide. Not once did the AWD serv light came on.

What's the point if a AWD system that shuts off when the front tires spin. That's THE time it should be coming on!

I agree. Talked to them yesterday after they replaced the 2nd cylinder head for it misfiring. Gas mileage is better. They said it had nothing to do with AWD issue. And haven't seen the AWD light come on, just check engine light. First time we really needed the AWD, mud situation, it quickly burnt the transaxel fluid. They said it should not have done that unless I pushed for 2 mins or longer straight. And the light didn't come on immediately, it came on 3 days later and several miles later. It sucks and we chalked it up to a $333 mistake and hopefully if we need AWD again, it won't have same issue. But if it was slipping and not kicking in, should the light for AWD not have come on?

• 4 years later...

what size rim? factory rim?  why is it crazy, he hit a curb probally damaged the wheel hub and sensers need to get it into a garage that works on that to have it checked. re[lacement rims cab be bought off mopar websites listed on internet, some discount the prices a good bit ....good luck  try www.lkqpickyourpart.com

Edited by 2late4u

On 11/11/2018 at 3:57 PM, Shakenbake4971 said:

My son slipped on ice and hit a curb. First problem is that it messed up the rim of front right tire. I've searched every salvage yard in a 30 mile radius and not one has it. Then the AWD! light came on and wont shut off. It's a 2010. So many issues crazy!

the awd light could being caused if you are running on the smaller spare tire,even different amount of tread wear can make it come on i believe.