"Bubble" tail lights

I have few doubts that they would physically fit, but my concern would be whether the wiring harness is the same, and whether the voltage being supplied is correct for the LED tail lamps. LEDs require less power than the incandescents you now have. I would concur with others--check with your dealer to see if they'll work.

I don't think they are interchangeable. Pictured below are two wiring harness connectors. The first one is for the left taillamp on a 2013 Journey SE 2.4 liter w/ 4 speed auto. The second one is for a 2013 Journey R/T 3.6 six speed. Note the different harness part number, gauge size and position of the wires relative to the connector. It might be adaptable if you are adept at wiring, but it does not appear to be plug and play.

-ASSEMBLY TAIL-LEFT C3

Harness Family: Body Harness Part Number: 68176387AC Cavities: 3 Color: BLACK Gender: Female Part Description: GT 150 3P SEALED CONNECTOR ASSEMBLY Repair Kit Part Number: 68057317AA Seal: Sealed Engineering Name: Assy_Tail_Lamp_LT_All_Markets Connector No: D6641C Available Views:
  • Location View
135111340000_iso.gif
135111340000.GIF
Pin Circuit Wire Color Gauge/Size Function 1 Z923 BK/YL .80 GROUND 2 L71 WT/GY .50 LEFT REAR PARK LAMP DRIVER 3 L52 WT/DB .50 LEFT STOP LAMP DRIVER

LAMP-ASSEMBLY TAIL-LEFT C1

Harness Family: Body Harness Part Number: 68176333AC Cavities: 3 Color: Black Gender: Part Description: Repair Kit Part Number: Not Available Seal: Engineering Name: Assy_Tail_Lamp_LT_All_Markets Connector No: D6641A Available Views:
  • Location View
154915470000_iso.gif
154915470000.GIF
Pin Circuit Wire Color Gauge/Size Function A L71 WT/GY .50 LEFT REAR PARK LAMP DRIVER B Z923 BK/YL .50 GROUND C L52 WT/DB .50 LEFT STOP LAMP DRIVER

• 9 months later...

FYI, Dodge calls them "Ring of Fire" tail lights (available in Journey and the discontinued Avenger, 2011+). The rest of the world just calls them what they are, LED tail lights.

Physically they should bolt up, however you'll have to build a custom wire adapter harness. The lights themselves are pre-wired in such a way that they're compatible with the cars 12V electrical system.

Why the heck did you trade in a 1 year old vehicle? Bet you lost a lot of $$$ in that deal.

Actually I did NOT lose any money. I was not upside down in the journey,

It was actually half paid off..not that it's any of your business. Got a great deal on the Durango

and it's a 100 times the vehicle the Journey was. The Journey was always good to me though.

Wanted a Durango or Grand Cherokee so bad, but... $$$$$. Got a great deal on the DJ though and I really like it, so I'm not complaining.

Ditto. In order to get a GC for what I paid for my Journey (which was $7k off MSRP with 2000 miles), I had to get a 2-year-old Laredo with 44,000 miles on it. I'll wait until I can afford at least a Limited before I make that jump.

• 3 weeks later...

There is another thread concerning the LED lights. Poster asked me to take pictures of my connectors. I removed my lights on the driver's side and took pictures for him 2 months ago and the thread died. There are 3 wires going to the outside light, 2 going to the inside light, and the plugs appear to be interchangeable. The question would be if the inside unit LEDs are capable of dual intensities. First, take out the inside light. I know that there are 2 wires to the connector. When you take the connector off, see if there are 3 silver pins in the housing where the connector plugs in. If there are 3 pins, they should be able to be used as a brake light too. If there are just two pins, they can not be wired to be used as a brake light. If there are 3 pins, remove the outside light and plug the inside light into its harness, and see what you get.

If you are lucky, and it works, you will need to get your hands on a pair of 3-wire connectors. Then you would need to tie a wire into your brake lights from the harness and run it up through the accordion grommet that connects the roof and hatch and run it to each lamp; then re-wire your inner lights with the 3-wire connectors.

Simple, huh!

Edited by dhh3