Clunk Noise When Braking

Blackout

Hey Guys my 2013 JOURNEY RT that I got in SEPT ive been noticing when the roads or wet or if theres snow whenever I brake and mind you doesnt do it all the time I hear some sort of a clunk... I touched the rotors when vehicle cooled down and they feel very smooth I cant figure it out what it could be?

When the pavement of the roads are dry I havent experienced that issue?

Any ideas or is it just the way these vehicles are?

1st time owning a JOURNEY so forgive me if I sound nuts

Vehicle only has 6000km

Thanks

• 4 months later...

Mine is the opposite. Had my rear rotors and brakes replaced recently by the dealer. Now upon braking lightly I hear a clunking noise. But when it's raining/wet, the noise disappears. Of course when I had the dealer check when it rained, they can't hear it.

Any idea what noise this might be? I need to describe it further for them to re-check.

well dont laugh to hard BUT i did my rear brakes a couple of weeks ago and about a week later started hearing an occ, bump or clunk noise not always but enough to make me wonder what the hell then i asked the wife if she has been hearing it and she said yes every once in a while. well finaly tracked it down. it was my big chrome flashlight in the right side cubby hole under the floor mat had come unwraped from the rags that i had put around it so it wouldnt roll around. fixed that back right and no more bumps in the night.....LOL

• Official Dodge Support

Possibly the caliper guide pins were not lubricated/cleaned properly

when the brakes were done.

bigtsr,

Great suggestion, proper brake maintenance on the DJ is important.

I always recommend a brake service every other oil change, or an inspection at the very least.

bigtsr,

Great suggestion, proper brake maintenance on the DJ is important.

I always recommend a brake service every other oil change, or an inspection at the very least.

Sadly this missed "proper brake maintenance" is coming from your dealer who replaced my brakes and rotors.

Sadly this missed "proper brake maintenance" is coming from your dealer who replaced my brakes and rotors.

This is why I no longer trust anyone to do my brakes. I may take a little longer but I like to be thorough and do all the necessary maintenance required.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

This is why I no longer trust anyone to do my brakes. I may take a little longer but I like to be thorough and do all the necessary maintenance required.

Exactly. I NEVER pay someone hundreds of dollars for something I can do myself in about 2 hours and thats including beer breaks. Even something I have never done before, I'll figure it out. I'm one of those types that likes to take things apart, figure out how they work and put them back together. B)

Edited by jkeaton

I fix small stuff myself with regards to the interior of the vehicle, but for us "unlucky" guys who live in a Downtown apartment complex that has common underground parking and doesn't allow fixing your car mechanically in greater details then we will have to contend with paying someone else.

Exactly. I NEVER pay someone hundreds of dollars for something I can do myself in about 2 hours and thats including beer breaks. Even something I have never done before, I'll figure it out. I'm one of those types that likes to take things apart, figure out how they work and put them back together. B)

Do you ever have any parts left over?

• Official Dodge Support

oneframe,

The brake inspection interval is every 20,000 kms as per the warranty booklet.

A good dealer will recognize the importance of cleaning and lubricating these components, but all too ofter it gets overlooked.

If you're handy, I recommend checking the linings at least every other oil change. In my experience, it's worth it to help extend the life of the brakes.

Wait, you take breaks for beer?? Why not just keep one right by you while you work?! :doh:

oneframe,

The brake inspection interval is every 20,000 kms as per the warranty booklet.

A good dealer will recognize the importance of cleaning and lubricating these components, but all too ofter it gets overlooked.

If you're handy, I recommend checking the linings at least every other oil change. In my experience, it's worth it to help extend the life of the brakes.

This wasn't a 20K inspection, but a paid for $600+ brake job replacement so there is nothing to be missed. It was the job.

After complaining to the service manager, they finally did it right yesterday.

I am handy, but like I said earlier our building complex does not allow nor has space for fixing your own car. That's why we are willing to put our trust and pay your dealers. Authorized Dodge dealers to do the job right the first time.

• 2 months later...

Okay I have a clanking noise but it's in the rear right side tire. It doesn't Clank when I push on the brake. It clanks when I drive and go over bumps. Sounds like something is loose. Any ideas?

Edited by Carolin

had a 2004 caravan that would bump and make a noise when hitting certin chuck holes but not all the time and it kept getting a little worse so i jacked up the right side and the left and found there was a rubber bushing loose i think it was on a sway bar and it had worked its way out of the clamp holding it. well it was getting late so i lube it up a bit and was able to get it back into the clamp and i tightened the hell out of it. never had any more problems or noise. so doesnt hurt to look under and check things out.. good luck

Okay I have a clanking noise but it's in the rear right side tire. It doesn't Clank when I push on the brake. It clanks when I drive and go over bumps. Sounds like something is loose. Any ideas?

Remove the wheel and have a look. Could be anything.