Annoying rattle

whitedodge13

So I love my Journey but there's some kind of rattling going on in the passenger side pillar all the way down to near the wheel well. I brought it into the dealer and they can't find the source of it. The noise near the wheel well is most noticeable at highway speeds and the rattling in the pilar is most noticeable on bumpy roads. The dealer took the whole wheel well apart and couldn't find anything. The noise is incredibly annoying! Anyone else have this problem or can offer any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Can't picture where you are talking about. Two rattles? One in the wheel well and one in the pillar near the wheel well? Maybe post pics of the area(s). Since one rattle is worse at speed, I'd check all the plastic wheel well liners and associated clips. Maybe the high speed wind is moving things around. If there is an entrance place, maybe a rock or something got in behind the wheel well liners and is causing the bumpy condition rattle. If that doesn't look like the problem, take the technician on a ride, have him or her sit near the rattles and listen closely to try to discern the cause. Good luck.

Peace.

• 3 weeks later...

I have taken it to the dealer and they where unable to figure out where the noise was coming from. One noise is at highway speed and it just comes from the foot well area of the passenger side and the other is coming from the pillar along the where the windshield is on that same side and that just happens just while driving down bumpy roads and stuff. I have also noticed that for some reason on the passenger side when I go over bumps it sounds kind of like a hard bang. It kind of makes the sound like when a shock goes bad its bangs and that's just what it sounds like and I don't hear that at all on the driver side. My other complaint now it the driver seat squeaks all the time when you get in and out of the car and just driving around. Its so annoying! Anyone else having any of these issues or can offer any suggestions? I hope I didn't get a lemon or something. Other than I love the journey!

Ask them to check if this applies to your Journey - or give me the last eight digits of your VIN and your mileage and I'll check it for you. Based on what I'm reading, this may not be related but it's worth checking into. Some noises travel throug the body or frame from their origination point and can trick a technician into looking beyond their source.

This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system,

or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of Chrysler Group LLC.

SUBJECT:

Noise From Front Of Vehicle Over Bumps Or When Turning

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves replacing the upper front strut bearing to correct the noise.

MODELS:

2012-2013 (JC) Journey

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built between December 01, 2011 (MDH

1201XX) and December 05, 2012 (MDH 1205XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may experience a noise from the front upper strut mount going over bumps

or when turning.

DIAGNOSIS:

NOTE: The front strut should be diagnosed with Chassis Ears placed at the upper

strut mount to diagnose a noisy strut bearing or to eliminate the good strut

bearings as the cause of the noise.

1. Drive the vehicle to confirm the noise is in the upper mount area of the strut.

2. Is there noise coming from the left or right upper strut mount?

a. Yes >>> Perform the repair procedure on the noisy upper strut bearing.

b. No >>> This bulletin does not apply, further diagnosis required.

NOTE: Do not replace the shock unless the problem is not fixed by the strut bearing

replacement.

PARTS REQUIRED:

Qty. Part No. Description

2 (AR) 05171093AC Bearing - Front Suspension Strut

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Raise the vehicle on a suitable hoist. Refer to the detailed service procedures

available in DealerCONNECT> TechCONNECT under: Service Info> 04- Vehicle

Quick Reference> Hoisting> Standard Procedure> Hoisting.

NUMBER:

02-001-13

GROUP:

Front Suspension

DATE:

March 06, 2013

2. Replace the upper strut bearing. Refer to the detailed service procedures available in

DealerCONNECT> TechCONNECT under: Service Info> 02- Front Suspension>

STRUT, Suspension, Assembly> Disassembly/Assembly.

NOTE: Assemble the upper front mount strut bracket (

Fig. 1) to the upper front strut

bearing (

Fig. 2) by aligning the stud heads on the strut bracket to the 3

notches on the strut bearing.

Fig. 1 Front upper Strut Bracket

1 - Stud Heads

02-001-13 -2-

Fig. 2 Front Upper Strut Bearing

1 - Notches

3. Return vehicle to the customer.

POLICY:

Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

Labor Operation

No:

Description Amount

02-05-39-90 Mount/Bearing, Front Strut - Inspect (2-Skilled) 0.2 Hrs.

02-05-39-91 Mount/Bearing, Front Strut - Inspect And Replace

One Side (2-Skilled)

1.0 Hrs.

02-05-39-92 Mount/Bearing, Front Strut - Inspect And Replace

Both Sides (2- Skilled)

1.5 Hrs.

FAILURE CODE:

ZZ Service Action

-3- 02-001-13

Edited by Journeyman425

• 3 weeks later...

Mine does same rattle since 22miles. Cannot figure it out . I have 6,000 miles now. I checked the bins, the seats, the headliner. Seems to be coming from rear pass side door between front and back pillars. My seat makes noises on passenger side, adjustable headrest vibrates too but it's a different noise. The door area rattle sounds like window is rattling or inside lock mechanism rattling . I'm stumped as to the exact source of the rattle noise. I am sure that it's coming from inside vehicle though. ??????

...also my plastic wheel liner inside wheel wells on exterior are all loose. The passenger side wheel well liner vibrates on against exhaust. This noise is muffled on the interior and isn't the same noise as door pillar rattle. Also I checked the seat belts and fastened them while driving and have used foam rubber pieces shimmed on various squeaky interior areas . Nothing I've done has stopped the rattle though. If anyone finds a possible cause please post. The rattle is very annoying !!

I think I may have found possible cause of rear door area rattle. On the exterior of vehicle below passenger side doors, from the fender to quarter panel, is a plastic piece. If you make a fist and bang the plastic piece a terrible rattle is present from front passenger door to rear passenger door. This noise is right under the doors. The plastic piece snaps in under the doors , a few places under the vehicle and at fender/quarter panel wheel well areas. Mine appears to be defective as there is a large gap at lower left side of rear door and plastic does not fit flush under the door. If I push it tightly against the car body the plastic doesn't rattle. I'm bringing my journey to dealer to attempt to fix it.. Note: The drivers side plastic piece below doors does not rattle and is tightly attached. I hope this helps

• 6 years later...

Ive got the same rattle coming from the front of my Journey, mostly on the highway, or windy conditions! But no one can help me, not dealer or panelbeater. Any help would be grealy appreciated, i think it comes from wheel well( if thats the word) but panel beater said, theres no other way of securing the lose looking parts!

• Official Dodge Support
11 hours ago, Mainman2010 said:

Ive got the same rattle coming from the front of my Journey, mostly on the highway, or windy conditions! But no one can help me, not dealer or panelbeater. Any help would be grealy appreciated, i think it comes from wheel well( if thats the word) but panel beater said, theres no other way of securing the lose looking parts!

Hi Mainman2010,

If this rattle continues to be a concern and you decide to address it with your dealer again; feel free to send us a PM so we can add an extra layer of support to your dealer visit. 
Rob
DodgeCares

Assume 'panel beater' means the body shop? Wonder what they called you? 

In any case, I've had a rattling front end on my older Explorer, and it turned out to be a cracked bushing. When stopped, you would of never guessed but once I replaced the bushing, it was nice and quiet. Don't get stuck just checking the plastic parts that seem to be the obvious cause. 

• 2 months later...

I had the same rattle on my 2011 Dodge Journey. I just fixed it. It was the silver metal plate between the muffler and floorboard. One of the fasteners broke free. It looked like it was still on but when I grabbed it it was lose. I bought 2 washers and put one on each side then put the nut fastner back on and now the noise is gone. It cost me 43 cents. I thought it was the pillar, window or bin in the passengers floorboard initially. 

Edited by notamechanic

I had the same rattle on my 2011 Dodge Journey. I just fixed it. It was the silver metal plate between the muffler and floorboard. One of the fasteners broke free. It looked like it was still on but when I grabbed it it was lose. I bought 2 washers and put one on each side then put the nut fastner back on and now the noise is gone. It cost me 43 cents. I thought it was the pillar, window or bin in the passengers floorboard initially

• 5 months later...
On 20/11/2019 at 4:08 AM, Mainman2010 said:

I have a 2014 R/T and I'm having the same problem. I have had the strut replaced but it still makes this little rattle noise, but especially when it's windy! When the wind is blowing and on the highway is the only time I'm guaranteed to get the noise. I can't duplicate it any other way. One mechanic thought it was the center console was doing it, but I can prove it's not that. I can hold up on the passenger side of the console while I'm driving and I can hear it coming from somewhere between the foot well to the seat/end of door area. It happens when someone is sitting there or not. It's driving me nuts and I'd like to stop this annoying noise. If anyone has an answer I'm all ears!