Are there pics of next generation DJ leaked yet?

Toy4ever

Hi there,

I'm searching all over the web, if there exist any pictures of next DJ model ( 2015 ?? ). The reason is, I read a statement from Sergio Marchionne which said, the next DJ/Fiat Freemont will look like a giant Fiat Panda. I hope for all of us, he was yoking. So if the really want to come out with it in model year 2015, then there must be already some test-cars on the road. Does anyone have informations about 2015 model?

Greetings from Germany

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Mcgusto82" data-cid="28261" data-time="1367781914"><p>

I had read somewhere that the DJ is going to use the Dart platform (stretched) so I would assume the DJ is going to shrink some. <br />

I doubt I'll be a repeat customer.</p></blockquote>

A "stretched Dart" platform. We'll have to wait and see but I'll also be looking elsewhere if that's the case. What a joke if true.

While I think our DJ is an awesome CUV, there is surprisingly little excitement surrounding it. Most seem pretty ambivalent on the subject of the DJ. While packed with utility, I guess the CUV is lackluster when compared to the likes of the Challenger, Charger, or Dart. To me, the DJ is the perfect mix of the Charger and the discontinued Caliber. I cannot understand why the Caliber was such a colossal failure. IMO, the design was spot on. I guess it was just the dark years of Chrysler and quality issues that did it in? I looked at the Caliber before deciding on the DJ. From a utility standpoint, they are similar, but from a quality and driveability standpoint there is no comparison.

I keep reading that the new CUV will be a Chrysler and not a Dodge. A new Town and Country to be exact. . . Dunno. The Chrysler plans are not clear and may indicate that the DJ will not survive past 2014 or 2015. I personally believe that the DJ will move forward at least one more generation. If it does, I suspect it will make us all envious. We'll see. . .

Peace.

The Caliber was well designed, but somewhat poorly executed IMO. Way too much cheap plastic in the interior, which was the norm of most Chrysler products from the 2005-2010 era. Even the Journey was a victim of Cerberus Capital Management bean-counting interior design ("how can we shave two cents off the cost of producing this door trim, that dash panel, etc.) until 2011, the year you got yours. What a huge difference between your 2011 R/T and a 2010. Working for a dealer, I heard the same comments from the customers time and time again about how cheap the interiors were. Not anymore. But for the Caliber, it's too late. Now we have the Dart which started out slow sales-wise, but is just now beginning to catch on. People rave about the interior quality and the feel of the materials. I've always liked the Journey but had serious reservations about its quality until the 2011 M/Y came out. Glad I waited. And still waiting...our 2013 Crew is due in any day and I cannot wait to drive it. In a way I hope that the replacement is even better than ours but I'll be a little disappointed at the same time!

• 3 weeks later...

Came across this regarding the new DJ. . .

Chrysler will move production of the next-generation Dodge Journey and Fiat Freemont crossover utility vehicles from Toluca, Mexico, to Sterling Heights where it will also build the next generation of its Chrysler 200 sedan, according to a report published Tuesday by AutomotiveCompass. All three vehicles will be built on a common platform that Chrysler shares with Fiat’s Alfa Romeo Giulietta, said Sam Fiorani, senior automotive market analyst for AutomotiveCompass. Fiorani said his firm learned of Chrysler’s plans from several suppliers, who also said Chrysler will discontinue production of the Dodge Avenger, which is currently built at Sterling Heights. Chrysler has said a redesigned 200 will go on sale next year. According to Fiorani, production will begin on the next-generation Journey and Freemont in January 2016. Chrysler spokeswoman Jodi Tinson declined to comment.

The current Chrysler 200 was first introduced as the Chrysler Sebring — a car auto critics savaged for its cheap interior, which represented how the automaker’s quality had declined in the years leading up to its 2009 Chapter 11 bankruptcy. New management quickly upgraded both the Chrysler and Dodge midsize models, rebadging the former as the 200. Sales of the car surged 44% to more than 125,000 in 2012, but it still lags behind segment leaders Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. Chrysler is counting on the redesigned version to be a more credible competitor. With sales of just under 80,000 in 2012, the Dodge Journey is a compact crossover that struggles to compete with models such as Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4 and Ford Escape. However, the Fiat Freemont has been a popular model in Europe.

Built in 1953, Chrysler’s Sterling Heights assembly was once tagged for closure under Chrysler’s reorganization plan. Chrysler announced in 2010 and 2011 a more than $1-billion investment to build paint and body shops at the site. Construction is expected to finish this year. Today Chrysler employs about 2,500 hourly employees on two shifts at the plant.

Peace.

With sales of just under 80,000 in 2012, the Dodge Journey is a compact crossover that struggles to compete with models such as Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4 and Ford Escape.

Peace.

Even with the re-designs of the Rav4, Honda CR-V and Ford Escape, I would still buy the Journey as I prefer the exterior and interior styling of the Journey as well as its Pentastar engine. The only vehicle that comes close to the Journey for me would be the Subaru Forester (a bit biased on this is our other vehicle is a Subaru (but not a Forester).

^^ I'm surprised you like the Forester. I can't stand driving in my wife's '10 Forester since buying my '11 Journey. The Forester is superior in snow, but it's a cheap tinny ride in comparison.

I agree. While the forester is a good vehicle overall. It came in second in my contest for which vehicle I bought in 2011 beating nissan, chevy, ford, toyota, mazda, and kia. For more money you got a really good AWD system and an almost guaranteed head gasket failure by 125K miles. Overall, I like the forester (I only considered the turbo) but the interior, fit and finish, and boxy styling were not as appealing as the DJ. I almost bought a forester, but in the end I saved money on the DJ and gained in so many areas. Maybe when I get my FWD DJ stuck in the snow, I'll wish I went with the forester B) Luckily, my 4x4 dakota is my daily driver, esp. in winter.

Peace.

• 3 weeks later...

This little bit was part of a larger article. Looks the next gen DJ will possibly get the 3.2L V6 standard.

There are some tough decisions in this strategy. Making Dodge muscle only — rear drive Avenger, Challenger, Charger, and maybe the 2.4 Dart, with the other variants going over to Chrysler — leaves the question of the high-selling Journey and Caravan. Perhaps take Journey and jazz it up with a standard 3.2 V6 and nine-speed automatic, — a larger, less off-road-capable version of Cherokee — oh, right, that’s the plan anyway. Then take Caravan and make it more rough-and-tough, somehow, while keeping a Chrysler minivan for traditional buyers. Caravan hasn’t been doing all that well in the US retail market anyway.

Peace.

Below is a link to an article about the future direction of Dodge. It's a Mopar geek's opinion article. Not sayin' he's wrong, just sayin' that it reads very much like an opinion piece. Also not sure why some Mopar folks are so down on the DJ. Here's a particularly blatant foul, IMO.

"I’d seriously think about moving Journey over to Chrysler, perhaps keeping the same name; it’s not really a Dodge, and in the US it doesn’t sell all that well as a Dodge."

Not sure what constitutes a Dodge, really. . . How about the Caravan, is that a Dodge? Well, a Ram is no longer a Dodge. SRT is not officially a Dodge. Challengers, Chargers, Durangos, Journeys, Avengers, and Caravans are all we have left. Wait a minute, I think the Avenger is going away soon, so the jury is still out on that one.

Here's another gem:

"Dodge’s biggest barriers to a real performance focus, other than discipline, are Journey, Durango, and Caravan."

This guy thinks Dodge is going to be the next Porsche or something. Even Porsche makes a crossover-like thing. If Mopar Joe has his way we're down to Challengers and Chargers. Good thinkin'. Variety is the spice of everything except Dodge, evidently.

Whatever, I really like my DODGE Journey. I think its great, and cool, and full of utility at the same time. Even if Mopar Joe doesn't agree. . .

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/06/dodge-death-or-new-strategy

Peace.

dedtomatoman, you are so right. Dodge has a proud history and nothing to be ashamed of. My first car was Dodge Coronet- the first of many Dodge products. Some of these so called Mopar "experts" should learn a little about the early years before they start forming opinions. I just completed an 8400 mile road trip in my DODGE Journey and I challenge anyone to find a better highway cruiser! Sadly I didn't see many Journeys, but I got a lot of great comments and compliments from folks who haven't seen one up close. I think Dodge needs a better advertizing campaign in the U.S. Here in Canada they are all over the place. Canadians have made them a top seller. My brother-in-law was so impressed with our Journey he bought one for himself. He just raves about it. All you have to is take it for a test drive- they sell themselves!

Agreed... Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep all have marketing issues. They advertise the heck out of their best sellers and ignore the others. I used to own a Jeep Commander. Marvelous vehicle and only made from '06-10 or '11 and in all those years I never, ever, saw a commercial or even a print add for the vehicle. Stopped making them because they weren't selling...duh! Every place I went, people would look at it and then ask if it was one of those new Hummers... No, sir, not a Hummer, but, a Jeep. Same thing with the Journey. I've had several people ask me what model of Chevrolet it is...based, I guess, on the fact that I have DRLs on and mostly Chevy products are "lit" in the US.

I like my Dodge Journey, even if nobody else knows that Dodge even makes a cross-over vehicle that can seat 7, is extremely comfortable, good zip and great mileage for the size and weight of the AWD version.

Below is a link to an article about the future direction of Dodge. It's a Mopar geek's opinion article. Not sayin' he's wrong, just sayin' that it reads very much like an opinion piece. Also not sure why some Mopar folks are so down on the DJ. Here's a particularly blatant foul, IMO.

"I’d seriously think about moving Journey over to Chrysler, perhaps keeping the same name; it’s not really a Dodge, and in the US it doesn’t sell all that well as a Dodge."

Not sure what constitutes a Dodge, really. . . How about the Caravan, is that a Dodge? Well, a Ram is no longer a Dodge. SRT is not officially a Dodge. Challengers, Chargers, Durangos, Journeys, Avengers, and Caravans are all we have left. Wait a minute, I think the Avenger is going away soon, so the jury is still out on that one.

Here's another gem:

"Dodge’s biggest barriers to a real performance focus, other than discipline, are Journey, Durango, and Caravan."

This guy thinks Dodge is going to be the next Porsche or something. Even Porsche makes a crossover-like thing. If Mopar Joe has his way we're down to Challengers and Chargers. Good thinkin'. Variety is the spice of everything except Dodge, evidently.

Whatever, I really like my DODGE Journey. I think its great, and cool, and full of utility at the same time. Even if Mopar Joe doesn't agree. . .

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/06/dodge-death-or-new-strategy

Peace.

Read that article on Allpar yesterday and absolutely shook my head. Move the Dart to Chrysler? Remove the SRT brand? No idea what they're talking about, Sergio Marchionne explicitly stated he's happy with the number of brands for the distant future.

I'm certain the Journey will be around for another generation under the DODGE brand.

This Journey is a very credible vehicle for those seeking performance but need a utility-type vehicle. Its power is impressive and the handling is very well composed and not at all clumsy. This car corners nearly as well as my 300M with Performance Handling Group. Dodge should be proud to offer it as a worthy performance partner in its lineup. I'm really surprised that we don't sell more of them in the U.S, although sales are up over 20,000 from this time last year.

• 2 weeks later...