Loud squealing noise cold start.

whitesxt

Yes, I would use a different fluid in the ps pump. Many different brands of high end synthetic stuff.

I have used Lucas power steering fluid on my old Sebring, made a huge difference. I am a fan of Lucas products and have used their oil supplements for a long time.

Edited by Hawaii

• 2 weeks later...

After having my PS pump replaced last year and the noise remaining I took my DJ in again this year when it got cold and started making the noise. Dealer wouldn't (couldn't) fix it because of a memo from Chrysler saying techs shouldn't attempt a repair because engineering was working on a solution.

The dealer also told me mine is the worst they have heard and lasts longer than any others they have seen.

Starting to get frustrated with my neighbours telling me how it wakes them up every morning when I leave for work!!

• Official Dodge Support

After having my PS pump replaced last year and the noise remaining I took my DJ in again this year when it got cold and started making the noise. Dealer wouldn't (couldn't) fix it because of a memo from Chrysler saying techs shouldn't attempt a repair because engineering was working on a solution.

The dealer also told me mine is the worst they have heard and lasts longer than any others they have seen.

Starting to get frustrated with my neighbours telling me how it wakes them up every morning when I leave for work!!

lytefall,

Sorry to hear this noise hasn't been resolved.

Are you experiencing this only in the cold weather for a short amount of time?

Is it the case where your dealer has been informed by Chrysler Tech Group that there isn't a fix however something is being worked on? If there isn't a permanent solution at this point, then your dealer won't be able to replace any components as it will simply happen again.

Hopefully this gets sorted out sooner rather than later for you.

• 4 weeks later...

lytefall,

Sorry to hear this noise hasn't been resolved.

Are you experiencing this only in the cold weather for a short amount of time?

Is it the case where your dealer has been informed by Chrysler Tech Group that there isn't a fix however something is being worked on? If there isn't a permanent solution at this point, then your dealer won't be able to replace any components as it will simply happen again.

Hopefully this gets sorted out sooner rather than later for you.

That's correct. Cold start only. Lasts between 30sec on cool days to up to and over a minute on colder days. It's a STAR case that says the noise should typically last 5-30 seconds depending on the ambient temp. Dealer says engineering is working on a solution and that it should be resolved "soon" but my dealer told me engineering has been aware for a while now (they were told a year ago that a "no fix" order may be coming soon) and the STAR memo was just released this Feb....so "soon" is a relative term. It says its a FEAD tensioner or idler pulley bearing and they are investigating a root cause. The replacement of the PS pump resolved the issue for a short time. I can understand Chrysler not wanting to replace parts for a short term relief from the issue, but it's frustrating to have a vehicle emitting this sound especially when you wake your neighbours at 5am every day when you leave for work. Sorry doesn't seem like a good enough answer from me when I am disturbing someone else's quality of life. If I wanted a vehicle that frustrated me every time I started it I wouldn't have bought a new one. Lol.

Thanks for your reply.

Edited by lytefall

FYI, all 3.6 Pentastar engines will do this when "very" cold. If you're not seeing it on your DJ or DGC/CT&C, then it's just not cold enough where you are for you to see the issue.

It's embarassing, and not normal. I hope a fix is done for this soon. A bad pulley sounds like the best explanation I've heard on this so far. I expect a recall for both of my vehicles once they get this resolved. If not a recall, then a TSB noted on it, so I can go in and point to the TSB and say "replace it".

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Anyone make any headway on this issue. Sorry for digging up an old thread but I quite frankly am getting really sick of my neighbours reminding me constantly that my car wakes him up every morning. "Dodge doesn't know how to fix it" is starting to become a statement I am tired of repeating.

It's been over a year and my dealership is still saying Chrysler doesn't have an answer. I am starting to think they aren't looking very hard.

Not sure about where you live, but here we tend to try and be good neighbours. I wouldn't be impressed if I was getting woken up early every morning either. I may be sick of it but I can still understand it. The answer to this problem is Dodge figuring their issue out, not me telling my neighbour to go renovate his house.

I can hear it in my basement on the other side of the house from the driveway. It isn't exactly quiet and definitely isn't a problem with house insulation or poor windows.

Not sure about where you live, but here we tend to try and be good neighbours. I wouldn't be impressed if I was getting woken up early every morning either. I may be sick of it but I can still understand it. The answer to this problem is Dodge figuring their issue out, not me telling my neighbour to go renovate his house.

I can hear it in my basement on the other side of the house from the driveway. It isn't exactly quiet and definitely isn't a problem with house insulation or poor windows.

That would be an abnormally high pitched sound if it can be heard from all angles of your house with windows and doors shut. Mine makes noise off the start on a cold day but not enough to wake the neighborhood which is apparently not Sesame Street. :lol:

• Official Dodge Support

Anyone make any headway on this issue. Sorry for digging up an old thread but I quite frankly am getting really sick of my neighbours reminding me constantly that my car wakes him up every morning. "Dodge doesn't know how to fix it" is starting to become a statement I am tired of repeating.

It's been over a year and my dealership is still saying Chrysler doesn't have an answer. I am starting to think they aren't looking very hard.

Awesome! Looks like this was issued just after the last time I was in. Thanks

lytefall,

I can understand the frustration, head to your dealer and hopefully this bulletin will address the noise.

Keep us posted if you can.

That would be an abnormally high pitched sound if it can be heard from all angles of your house with windows and doors shut. Mine makes noise off the start on a cold day but not enough to wake the neighborhood which is apparently not Sesame Street. :lol:

It is insanely loud. 2 friends with DJs and they both have the squeal. Theirs go away in 10-15 seconds and are not near the high pitch and volume as mine. Mine lasts 30-45 seconds if it's --20 or colder which it's been most mornings lately. I have had it at 2 different dealers and both say they have heard many making this sound but mine is far and away the worst they have seen.

Don't know about fixing the issue but I would constantly remind your neighbor that if it wakes them up the should think about spending some money changing their windows and insulating their home. Really, tell your neighbor blow off.

Wow, kinda harsh don't ya think? I try to get along with my neighbors, it goes a long way. Just sayin...

Wow, kinda harsh don't ya think? I try to get along with my neighbors, it goes a long way. Just sayin...

Fear thy neighbor. :lol: Ohare, when I posted this I wasn't aware of how loud their squeal really was I thought it was just some crabby neighbor who likes to cause trouble....there are plenty of those around too.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to say the harmonic squealing noise is gone after replacing the idler pulley, however the grinding sound when the starter first turns over remains. Lasts 5-10 seconds. Supposedly it was all part of the same fix.....apparently not. Hopefully it doesn't take another 2 years to get to the bottom of that too.

Lytefall,

What was the part# they replaced it with? Was it 05281301AA? That's the p/n on the TSB....I checked the net and I don't seem to find it.

• 2 weeks later...

Lytefall,

What was the part# they replaced it with? Was it 05281301AA? That's the p/n on the TSB....I checked the net and I don't seem to find it.

Not sure on that. I gave them the TSB and they went by it. I will look on the invoice when I get home.

Asst service manager tried to tell me the grinding was a "normal" noise. Not sure how normal it can be when it just started and the cars 3yrs old. Spoke with the actual manager and they are replacing the water pump now for the grinding noise. Sounds more like power steering pump so we'll see.

Edited by lytefall

• 2 years later...

I hate to bring up old wounds, but.......

It's 2018 and in Chicagoland it's around 0 degrees F. I believe that I am getting the same noise as you guys are. I have read that it can be anything from, the idler pulley, starter, serpentine belt, power steering pump. I have not yet seen anyone here say that's is 100% this or that. Although, the idler pulley replacement came really close to that. I'm going to start with the pulley, I have Alldata so I can get specs on it.  Also have not seen a video of this noise. So here is one https://youtu.be/5oKhiIr9fzM