Loud squealing noise cold start.

whitesxt

Am i the only one? its rather cold right now and my journey is making this crazy high pitch sound when i start in.

Does it when cold only, after sitting there for a couple hours or so. I mean, cars make crazy sounds when its -35 outside but i never heard something like this before. it last like 2-3 second then slowly tone down to normal

Anyone had this issue before and had it fixed?

Thank you.

Edited by whitesxt

• Official Dodge Support

Whitesxt,

Seeing as it is only noisy when cold, it could be anything just getting free from pulleys to pumps to belts etc.

If it is of a concern to you, I would recommend getting it in to your dealer just to make sure but then again it maybe be nothing other than a loud belt like Rubberdude mentioned.

Edited by DodgeCACares

Whitesxt,

Seeing as it is only noisy when cold, it could be anything just getting free from pulleys to pumps to belts etc.

If it is of a concern to you, I would recommend getting it in to your dealer just to make sure but then again it maybe be nothing other than a loud belt like Rubberdude mentioned.

I have an appointment at my dealer next week to have this checked, at the same time they verify my transmission jerking problem (it jerk when i shift if from reverse to drive)

• Official Dodge Support
I have an appointment at my dealer next week to have this checked, at the same time they verify my transmission jerking problem (it jerk when i shift if from reverse to drive)

Perfect,

Let us know what they find.

If you need anything, send me a PM and I will see what I can do.

It happens to me also when its really cold(below freezing and has been sitting) and to me it sounds like the starter sticking in the engage position and being turned by the motor for a few revolutions. It is similar to an older car when you would try to start the car after it was already started and would make a sound similar to that.

It happens to me also when its really cold(below freezing and has been sitting) and to me it sounds like the starter sticking in the engage position and being turned by the motor for a few revolutions. It is similar to an older car when you would try to start the car after it was already started and would make a sound similar to that.

pretty much sounds like it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did this fix the issue? I just had my power steering pump replaced for the same issue. The noise at cold start up remains however. Just doesn't last as long as it did before.

Dealer says they will look at it again but have been seeing the same issue with other DJs and expect dodge to hand something down saying its "normal" soon. Until then they will keep replacing the pumps. A friend of mine is having the same problem right now with his DJ.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the EXACT same issue on my 2013 R/T DJ and YES it is the power steering pump. Does that sound brand new off the trailer.......Nothing to do with the starter or serpentine belt..... I have an appointment this week in order to get my power steering pump replaced. However, I suspect it will start doing that noise again soon enough after reading lytefall`s comment....... kinda sucks when you start you NEW vehicle on a cold morning with neighboors looking at you like if you own an old 15 year old piece of **** car

I've noticed what seems to be the same sound described in mine for the first little bit when starting. It was only during the first start up in the morning after a really cold night, ~-20C and colder. Haven't heard it for a while now since the weather has been warming.

• 1 month later...

Mine has been gone too since its started warming up. We just had an unusually cold night (about 0 C) and I heard the noise faintly for about 5 sec after startup so I assume it will be back with a vengeance next winter. As said it sucks when you have a pretty well new vehicle and your neighbors mention that your car woke them up at 5:30am when I left for work. Makes me wonder what it's going to sound like when its not "new" anymore a few years down the road.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have become use to the normal cold start chatter from my Journey and T&C also. It is perfectly normal for a Variable Valve Timing engine to have cold start chatter. But this was a high pitch squeal that didn't sound normal at all.

Hopefully it was just a fluke.

Or, hopefully it just wont get cold again! :lol:

• 1 month later...

I heard the squeal two days ago and today too. Our temperatures are between -15 and -30 the last few days. I thought it was a cold start. If it continues i will check the dealer if not i'll assume its just the temperature for now.

They all do it. It's they way the power steering pumps are designed. My neon 2001,my journey 2009 were doing it and now my journey 2010 is doing it. They only do it when it's cold. The best thing is to keep your fluids at a good level and changing your fluids when they get a couple of years old. They say we dont have to, but all fluids get thicker when cold specialy when they get older. Keeping it fairly new will make it easier on the pump but the noise is just them whining it's too cold.

Edited by VincB23

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't getting this sound on my Journey but the Town and Country I own was doing this same high pitch squeal on cold start. I took it to my dealer and they couldn't duplicate the noise and didn't have a solution. So I started looking around the engine bay for any sign of where the noise was coming. I noticed that my Power Steering Fluid was just barely touching the MIN mark on the reservoir. I did do some research to determine the right fluid for the T&C and it calls for ATF4 or power steering fluid (my Journey does also). My fluid was pink so I knew I had ATF4 in my reservoir. I drained the reservoir down slightly and topped it off with synthetic ATF4.

I was getting this noise at any temps. below freezing, but I have had 5 or 6 cold starts below freezing since and I "haven't" heard it at all. I think the low fluid level was causing the noise.

I am not sure this will solve any of your problems, but its worth checking on.