Howling noise

jasonl

Just a few days after purchasing my Journey in June I noted a howling noise coming from either the engine or transmission as the vehicle was climbing even the slightest grade. I brought it to the dealer. They heard the same, but didn't know whether this might be normal or an issue. They said they'd check with Chrysler and test some other Journeys on the lot to see if they experienced the same with those. No word on what they heard from Chrysler (I suspect they never checked). They claimed to have experienced the same with two other Journeys on their lot. Today (totally fed up with the noise) I brought it back into the dealership (the noise--which sounds like blowing air slowly over the mouth of a glass soda bottle--has gotten progressively worse). I test drove a demo with 5,500 miles on it and a brand new vehicle (both 3.5L V6s, like mine) and did NOT hear the noise with either. I forced the tech to ride with me in the newer vehicle to witness that the same problem does NOT exist with that vehicle. He admitted it wasn't an issue. He also admitted he doesn't have a clue what's wrong with my vehicle.

Bottom line--has anyone experienced the same? If so, have you somehow resolved this issue? BTW: I've also experienced the rear wheel well squeak and the rubbing noise in the left front wheel well other have experienced.

I think I have the same problem. I have a kind of whistle from the engine bay. I drove a demo and was doing the same thing. The tech heard the same, but they don't want to solve the problem because they don't know if it is normal!!! I'll try to test an other one tomorrow...

I also have a kind of growl in my exhaust and the dealer told me they couldn't do anything... yeah, right <_<

I love the car, but those rattles make me crazy!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Just a few days after purchasing my Journey in June I noted a howling noise coming from either the engine or transmission as the vehicle was climbing even the slightest grade. I brought it to the dealer. They heard the same, but didn't know whether this might be normal or an issue. They said they'd check with Chrysler and test some other Journeys on the lot to see if they experienced the same with those. No word on what they heard from Chrysler (I suspect they never checked). They claimed to have experienced the same with two other Journeys on their lot. Today (totally fed up with the noise) I brought it back into the dealership (the noise--which sounds like blowing air slowly over the mouth of a glass soda bottle--has gotten progressively worse). I test drove a demo with 5,500 miles on it and a brand new vehicle (both 3.5L V6s, like mine) and did NOT hear the noise with either. I forced the tech to ride with me in the newer vehicle to witness that the same problem does NOT exist with that vehicle. He admitted it wasn't an issue. He also admitted he doesn't have a clue what's wrong with my vehicle.

Bottom line--has anyone experienced the same? If so, have you somehow resolved this issue? BTW: I've also experienced the rear wheel well squeak and the rubbing noise in the left front wheel well other have experienced.

I drove an other Journey at the dealer today and all the strange sounds I hear in mine were NOT on the new one. Trust me they'll have to fixt them on mine!!!

I SURE HOPE SOMEONE FIGURES THIS HOWLING NOISE OUT. ITS BEEN IN MINE SINCE IT WAS NEW AND DRIVES ME CRAZY. DEALER SAYS THEY NEVER HEARD OF THIS BUT IT SEEMS THAT HALF OF THE JOURNEYS HAVE IT. IF ANYBODY FIGURES IT OUT POST IT PLEASE. THANKS

My car would howl usually when I got up to 60 or 70 mph. The dealership replaced my Muffler. Which did fix the problem. I also have a rubbing noise or something when I turn left. The dealership replaced my Steering pump, but that didn't fix the problem. I also have had it in for the engine light coming on. I will be bringing in my Journey to to dealership again this Thursday 10/09/08 to see if they can figure out my turning left sound and why my engine light is on.

I SURE HOPE SOMEONE FIGURES THIS HOWLING NOISE OUT. ITS BEEN IN MINE SINCE IT WAS NEW AND DRIVES ME CRAZY. DEALER SAYS THEY NEVER HEARD OF THIS BUT IT SEEMS THAT HALF OF THE JOURNEYS HAVE IT. IF ANYBODY FIGURES IT OUT POST IT PLEASE. THANKS

Have the dealership replace your muffler!

The problem is solve by replacing the muffler because they fix the problem without realizing it. The dealer told me that the growling is due to bolts that are not tightened enough, and at 2000RPM, it makes a vibration. The only way to see this is by undoing a part of the muffler. They did that on mine and 90% of the problem is solve. Chrysler will publish a rapid response soon on this.

The howling is another problem. It comes from the transmission. Chrysler is still working on this to find a solution.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok by no means am I glad you have experienced the same problem but that is the exact same thing my 09 Journey is doing and I am glad that I am not the only one out here! I explain it to people the same way like blowing in a glass bottle! It has been to the dealership four times now, they had their DM come last month to decide what to do with it. I haven't heard from her and that has been since Jan 12. I filed lemon law paper work and my husband is taking it to the dealership on 2/22 one last time to see if they can repair it. What ever happened with yours? They act clueless at this place! Do you live in Central FL by chance?

I have the Howling noise. SXT.

If I set the cruise and the engine is at 2000 RPM it happens. Mainly heard as it starts to accelerate up a hill.

VERY depressing if this is considered "Normal"

Yes it only happens when going up a hill or even a small hill! Sooooooooo frustrating for a BRAND NEW vehicle to sound this way!!

Ok by no means am I glad you have experienced the same problem but that is the exact same thing my 09 Journey is doing and I am glad that I am not the only one out here! I explain it to people the same way like blowing in a glass bottle! It has been to the dealership four times now, they had their DM come last month to decide what to do with it. I haven't heard from her and that has been since Jan 12. I filed lemon law paper work and my husband is taking it to the dealership on 2/22 one last time to see if they can repair it. What ever happened with yours? They act clueless at this place! Do you live in Central FL by chance?

I would have the dealer check the Cowl(rubber stripping) around the windsheild. I had a noise coming from mine on my RT. There is a fix for it if this is your problem

We had the growling/vibration noise that was mentioned earlier in this discussion. It sounded like the muffler had issues but only when accelerating. Strangely, it seemed to get worse after the car warmed up. After two trips back to the dealer, they isolated it to a number of issues.

The Y Pipe fasteners needed to be repositioned and retorqued. This eliminated the vibration felt at 100km/hr but did not eliminate the buzz/drone that I experienced when accelerating. They then inspected and retorqued all of the fasteners on the crossmember/engine mounts. They also found that the front vibration dampener ring was contacting a bolt washer. After the washer was properly isolated, the drone is gone! That being said, we only got it back this afternoon and I'm always a bit pessimistic when it comes to car repairs.

We have a 2009 R/T that has caused us some grief. Our Dodge dealer has always treated us well and did their best to find out the source of the aggravation. When the vehicle is running well, it is a pleasure to drive and has some incredible features. I hope that they've fixed a few of the 2009 bugs in the 2010s-if they can improve the reliability on this car, they've got a real winner.

• 2 months later...

I also experience the "drone howl" noise has done it since new but I never complained about it

As it does not bother me that much & I have almost 80000 klms

In another thread here someone found that the plastic grill below the wipers would also warp and cause noise on the highway. So if the muffler fix does not work have them check to see if it is loose or warped. It was sometime ago but look back and you might find it.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same issue! I have an '09 RT and they ended up replacing the muffler and the sound went away. Now my dash is rattling when I'm on the interstate. I have an appt with a Chrysler rep today hopefully they will fix it. It's been on thing after another with this vehicle. I will never buy a Dodge again!

• 3 months later...

I have had a high pitched whistling noise since I bought my 2009 SE in April 2008. Have taken it into the dealership, they test drove it and then took another Journey they had on their lot out to check it. Said the new one made the noise too. I believe they told me it was the solenoid (sp) and was normal (???). Mine whistles when I get over 40 kph. Annoying to say the least.