Howling noise

jasonl

I have the same problem with my 2009 Dodge Journey SE V4 40,000MILES on it.....I can hear this whistling noise when driving at 65mil.......... if i increase or decrease the speed the noise goes away, i'm 100% sure that this noise comes from the transmission, because when i reduce the speed and the transmission shifts back the RPM increase, making the vehicle shake every shift.

I have not take my SUV to the dealer yet, because i don't know if this is normal for this car, however sometimes i feel like im driving an old yunk car...

my wife has a 2001 Dodge Caravan with 178000 miles and we do not have these problems.

Hi guys,

I also hear a sound when my vehicule idols at a traffic light and when I accelrate it goes high pich and disappears, I have been to the dea;er numerous times to show them but did not happen, finaly i manage to get the service advisors to hear it and left it at the dealer and came back "unable to duplicate customer conerns", I was quite unhappy and again discussed they said if happens gain bring it in and ask for shop foreman, it did happen brought it in and he heard it left it there and they were not able to duplicate anymore. They tell me they can not do anything inless it is consistant but not sure what to do.

I hope when I get back my brother has more news on it but it is realy frustrating dealing with this. I have decided to start making notes when it happens and make recording of it.

Thanks,

ZAC

Just a few days after purchasing my Journey in June I noted a howling noise coming from either the engine or transmission as the vehicle was climbing even the slightest grade. I brought it to the dealer. They heard the same, but didn't know whether this might be normal or an issue. They said they'd check with Chrysler and test some other Journeys on the lot to see if they experienced the same with those. No word on what they heard from Chrysler (I suspect they never checked). They claimed to have experienced the same with two other Journeys on their lot. Today (totally fed up with the noise) I brought it back into the dealership (the noise--which sounds like blowing air slowly over the mouth of a glass soda bottle--has gotten progressively worse). I test drove a demo with 5,500 miles on it and a brand new vehicle (both 3.5L V6s, like mine) and did NOT hear the noise with either. I forced the tech to ride with me in the newer vehicle to witness that the same problem does NOT exist with that vehicle. He admitted it wasn't an issue. He also admitted he doesn't have a clue what's wrong with my vehicle.

Bottom line--has anyone experienced the same? If so, have you somehow resolved this issue? BTW: I've also experienced the rear wheel well squeak and the rubbing noise in the left front wheel well other have experienced.

• 6 months later...

I SURE HOPE SOMEONE FIGURES THIS HOWLING NOISE OUT. ITS BEEN IN MINE SINCE IT WAS NEW AND DRIVES ME CRAZY. DEALER SAYS THEY NEVER HEARD OF THIS BUT IT SEEMS THAT HALF OF THE JOURNEYS HAVE IT. IF ANYBODY FIGURES IT OUT POST IT PLEASE. THANKS

if you haven't gotten this repaired yet, it's the exhaust that is making the noise. i took mine in yesterday and explained to the service manager that some folks on this forum had the exhaust replaced. the did this for me at no charge and even gave me an enterprise rental. that fixed the growling..i am sooo happy!

• 1 month later...

I have a 2010 journey sxt and have had to dealer 7 times for this noise, could it really be the muffler that is the only thing they have not changed, they have put heat shields, pulleys and it still howls after it shifts out to 5th and relaxes and if your going up a grade drives you crazy,, I am printing off this forum and taking it to them I will post if this fixes mine.....

Edited by ibeholden12