Improved Garmin System for 2013

I actually read, I think it was automobile mag, that uConnect nav was going away from Garmin. That Chrysler was using their own nav software.

They were in fact talking about the 2013 Ram now using the current uConnect 8.4" radio.

They did also say how improved that system was over the Garmin sys.

New this year, a massive 8.4-inch touch-screen that’s tastefully integrated into the center stack replaces the dumpy brick-style head unit. The Uconnect system boasts attractive graphics, intuitive layouts, and quick responses. Best of all, the Garmin-based navigation that’s been integrated into other Chrysler cars has been tossed.

-automobile mag on the 2013 Ram 1500.

New this year, a massive 8.4-inch touch-screen that's tastefully integrated into the center stack replaces the dumpy brick-style head unit. The Uconnect system boasts attractive graphics, intuitive layouts, and quick responses. Best of all, the Garmin-based navigation that's been integrated into other Chrysler cars has been tossed.

-automobile mag on the 2013 Ram 1500.

Maybe they mean that the old-style Garmin system that was still in the Ram and several other Chrysler vehicles has been tossed and is now being replaced with the new-style 8.4" Garmin system that's used in the Journey, 300, and Dart? Dunno.

They just don't hate Chrysler products like you do.

Apparently they didn't use an uconnect system either (and specifically mine), since in that case they wouldn't be just regurgitating chrysler's propaganda, they would be highlighting its shortcomings instead.

Unless they're just a humor magazine, in that case I appreciate they're being sarcastic.

I like the 8.4N system overall as well. But there are a few little issues that really annoy me. The biggest issue for me is that every time I cycle the ignition, the iPod has to be re-indexed and voice command isn't available until it's done, which can take 20 minutes. According to the manual, that's not supposed to happen unless you change the content on the iPod. I've complained about this issue to Chrysler and my dealer, but both say that it's working as designed, which makes absolutely no sense. Why would they design the system to re-index the iPod every time you restart the car when it already has a full index? I was hoping this would be fixed in a future update, but now I'm fearing that fixes and new features may just be added to future model years, and previous model years will be stuck with the version of Uconnect that came on them.

The biggest issue for me is that every time I cycle the ignition, the iPod has to be re-indexed and voice command isn't available until it's done, which can take 20 minutes. According to the manual, that's not supposed to happen unless you change the content on the iPod. I've complained about this issue to Chrysler and my dealer, but both say that it's working as designed, which makes absolutely no sense. Why would they design the system to re-index the iPod every time you restart the car when it already has a full index? I was hoping this would be fixed in a future update, but now I'm fearing that fixes and new features may just be added to future model years, and previous model years will be stuck with the version of Uconnect that came on them.

First of all, you are correct. I should not work that way. My 2011 does not consistently work that way. It does occasionally get confused and re-index following a shut down. Although, my system does not re-index on shut down very often, I have found that pushing the "pause" soft key prior to ignition shut down will eliminate this tendency to re-index on my DJ. Work around, yes, but try it to see if that does not at least improve your re-indexing headaches.

Honestly, I think some of the problem is the iPod itself. They have some buggy tendencies; especially their batteries. I think sometimes a tiny blip in the iPod as the ignition shuts down and the iPod goes to its battery power will confuse the Uconnect system into thinking that there has been a content change. I will sometimes disconnect the iPod after shut down. Not sure if this has any effect, but the computers in the DJ do stay awake for some time after shut down and may add to the Uconnect confusion. Hope this is helpful to you.

Peace.

I like the 8.4N system overall as well. But there are a few little issues that really annoy me. The biggest issue for me is that every time I cycle the ignition, the iPod has to be re-indexed and voice command isn't available until it's done, which can take 20 minutes. According to the manual, that's not supposed to happen unless you change the content on the iPod. I've complained about this issue to Chrysler and my dealer, but both say that it's working as designed, which makes absolutely no sense. Why would they design the system to re-index the iPod every time you restart the car when it already has a full index? I was hoping this would be fixed in a future update, but now I'm fearing that fixes and new features may just be added to future model years, and previous model years will be stuck with the version of Uconnect that came on them.

I haven't encountered any of those issues your having with your IPOD having to be re-indexed. I plug in my IPOD and the menu appears within a minute. If I leave the IPOD plugged in(I only do that if I will be out of the vehicle for less then 20 minutes) when I shut the vehicle down, upon my return, after starting the vehicle, the system starts up right away and plays the remaining time on the last song before shutdown. I don't know how many songs you have on your IPOD, but 20 minutes to re-index sounds unreasonable to me.

Out of curiosity sake, how many songs do you have on your IPOD? I have less then 400, so I wonder if the amount of music on the IPOD makes a difference in the time it takes to re-index?

I haven't encountered any of those issues your having with your IPOD having to be re-indexed. I plug in my IPOD and the menu appears within a minute. If I leave the IPOD plugged in(I only do that if I will be out of the vehicle for less then 20 minutes) when I shut the vehicle down, upon my return, after starting the vehicle, the system starts up right away and plays the remaining time on the last song before shutdown. I don't know how many songs you have on your IPOD, but 20 minutes to re-index sounds unreasonable to me.

Out of curiosity sake, how many songs do you have on your IPOD? I have less then 400, so I wonder if the amount of music on the IPOD makes a difference in the time it takes to re-index?

At first, I was using an iPod touch with thousands of songs. But since I've been having the re-indexing problem, I've switched to an iPod Nano with 195 songs. It doesn't seem to make a difference. Can you select songs with voice command right after starting your car? I can't until it's done re-indexing, which makes the feature useless except on longer trips. It's not always 20 minutes, but it often is.

You system plays the remaining time on the song that was playing when you left? Mine starts the last song over every time. Another annoyance.

What they are saying about the system is absolutely correct. My 8.4N does have "attractive graphics, intuitive layouts and quick responses". Very happy with my 8.4N overall.

My Uconnect (4.3, but still UConnect it is) has none of the above. In fact I don't really care about "attractive graphics" and "intuitive layouts", I'd be happy enough if it worked, even with slow responses. The fact is, it doesn't work.

Saying things like "It doesn't work" isn't specific enough to tell anyone anything.

I've been more specific before. That, and the radio that doesn't start

The article above was referring to the 8.4 system, which is quite different from yours.

Quite different but sure it has its own set of shortcomings. A serious article should highlight both the good and the bad, a less serious one just copies the press release.

The 4.3 uConnect, here, in the US doesn't have those problems that you, the freemont guys, are having.

I think it's pretty fair to not mention problems that a completely different market is having.

The 4.3 has its short comings, but overall, it's a good system, here, in it's home market. Not to belittle YOUR problems with it, but you can't condem the system as a whole. I would bet that Fiat and the freemont came onto the picture past thd R&D of the uConnect radio.

Therefore, it's a Fiat problem, not a Chrysler one.

The Ram 1500 is a very capable, and competitive truck, here in the US. What the entire article (mobile app) puts out, is that the changes are welcomed, including the addition of the uConnect radio. And I agree.

The 4.3 uConnect, here, in the US doesn't have those problems that you, the freemont guys, are having.

I'm pretty sure somebody mentioned those same problems (like search not working, mp3 showing the wrong duration, mp3 skipping, radio not starting).

Some of those problems have been solved over there but not over here.

BTW, the fiat freemont is exactly the same as a dodge journey, uconnect and all.

At first, I was using an iPod touch with thousands of songs. But since I've been having the re-indexing problem, I've switched to an iPod Nano with 195 songs. It doesn't seem to make a difference. Can you select songs with voice command right after starting your car? I can't until it's done re-indexing, which makes the feature useless except on longer trips. It's not always 20 minutes, but it often is.

You system plays the remaining time on the song that was playing when you left? Mine starts the last song over every time. Another annoyance.

I have to usually wait about a minute or two after starting the vehicle before I can use the voice command. Having said that, this is where one of my 'gremlins' surface. When I use the voice command to play a specific piece of music, the song comes up on the screen, but immediately skips to the next one in the sequence. I will be having this looked at when I take the Journey in for its first oil change in the next week or two.

When I first got the Joureny, the system would start over at the beginning.Not sure if its because I left the IPOD itself on when I left the vehicle and the IPOD went into pause mode?

I have to usually wait about a minute or two after starting the vehicle before I can use the voice command.

I would be perfectly fine with that, but it's never less than 10 minutes for me and often closer to 20. Chrysler and my dealer both say there's nothing wrong with my system. It's working as designed. My dealer even went further to say that every time you cycle the ignition, the system is supposed to recognize the iPod as if it was plugged in for the first time and do a full index. I pointed out that the manual clearly states it should only re-index if the content changes. He just shrugged.

I would be perfectly fine with that, but it's never less than 10 minutes for me and often closer to 20. Chrysler and my dealer both say there's nothing wrong with my system. It's working as designed. My dealer even went further to say that every time you cycle the ignition, the system is supposed to recognize the iPod as if it was plugged in for the first time and do a full index. I pointed out that the manual clearly states it should only re-index if the content changes. He just shrugged.

Whoops! Tried to quote. Your dealer seems like a real Wheeler Dealer. Just tell the customer what is most convenient for the dealer and hope they go away, right? Only a non-caring, non-customer service oriented chump could just shrug and cease to fire any neurons! That sort of $#!+ makes my blood boil. Chrysler would benefit from trimming fat such as these folks.

Peace.

• Official Dodge Support

generaltso,

Sorry you are having issues with your UConnect system.

When you say Chrysler, do you mean you contacted our Customer Service line?

If you'd like me to look in to this for you, send me a PM with your VIN and name with the best contact number I can reach you at when I research this a bit further.

Can you also include the versions of IPods you are using as well, this will be very helpful.

When you say Chrysler, do you mean you contacted our Customer Service line?

If you'd like me to look in to this for you, send me a PM with your VIN and name with the best contact number I can reach you at when I research this a bit further.

Can you also include the versions of IPods you are using as well, this will be very helpful.

Yes, I called the Chrysler Customer Care line and reported the problem. I'd love any help you can provide, but I'm not in Canada. I would imagine that will limit the help you can provide? Thanks!