Strange sound in 3rd gear

lytefall

At the top of third, if i am around 60km/h (4ph) there is a slight vibration and a sound like I am going over rumble strips (like the kind cut into the road when approaching stop signs on county roads).

Is anyone else experiencing this? My journey is a 2012 R/T AWD Rallye. 4 days old. Only 160km. I just thought I would ask in case it was common with this tranny or with the AWD. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow.

Its an exhaust resonance,when the torque convertor partially locks, mine does it also. Once u get up a few more klicks, it dissappears? I'm betting there will either be a flash to raise shift point a touch, or some kind of damper for the exhaust. We,ve had no complaints about it at work, but have noticed it on mine, and one other 12 I drove for a few days before buying ours.

Yes. It lasts on a few seconds and disappears over 1800 rpm. If I accelerate more aggressively through 1500-1800 rpm in 3rd gear the sound does not occur.

I have also noticed a bit of a shudder during some downshifts when just coasting coming up to a stop before applying the brakes

I have the same issue on mine. It only has 432 miles on it. I took it to the dealer and the service manager told me that it was the torque converter engaging. Its very annoying. I do hope that Dodge comes out with something soon. I love my Journey but that vibration really annoys me.

I have the same issue on mine. It only has 432 miles on it. I took it to the dealer and the service manager told me that it was the torque converter engaging. Its very annoying. I do hope that Dodge comes out with something soon. I love my Journey but that vibration really annoys me.

I have it and have 5000 miles now and it hasnt gone away.yet.Yes it is a pain. Last for about 2 seconds.

I have it and have 5000 miles now and it hasnt gone away.yet.Yes it is a pain. Last for about 2 seconds.

Simple fix, until something more permanent is released from Dodge, is to just accelerate a little quicker. Won't be much of a problem for me once I get through the break in period. ;)

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I think mine started doing the same thing you all describe here just a few weeks ago. I don't know if it's related to the winter tires being a different size than the stock tires, but a few weeks ago I noticed this odd rumble coming from the engine area when around 60-70 km/h. It only happens when the engine is under load (on the gas). It's weird because I've had it a year and a half and this is the first time this issue has come up. I narrowed it down to when the tranny is in 5th and I press the gas around 60 km/h.

Edited by Powdered Toast Man

• Official Dodge Support
Sorry to bump an old topic, but I think mine started doing the same thing you all describe here just a few weeks ago. I don't know if it's related to the winter tires being a different size than the stock tires, but a few weeks ago I noticed this odd rumble coming from the engine area when around 60-70 km/h. It only happens when the engine is under load (on the gas). It's weird because I've had it a year and a half and this is the first time this issue has come up. I narrowed it down to when the tranny is in 5th and I press the gas around 60 km/h.

ToastMan,

It's hard to diag with your winters on but I would suggest getting it to your dealer in the new year.

If you can, bring your summers with you and your dealer should be able to let you know what is going on.

Send me a PM if you have any questions.

• 9 months later...
  • Official Dodge Support

Has anyone with this issue actually gotten it resolved?I have a 2013 Rallye with the issue since KM 1. Numerous visits and updates, exhaust clamp tightening, engine mount tightening, still no difference. I'm up to 12000km now.

hereticj,

If you're interested, I'd be happy to review any common issues or similar cases.

If you send me a private message with your VIN I can take a look at your warranty history and possibly point you in the right direction.

Here is the result from my latest appointment about the issue. Tell me if this sounds like a load of BS to get rid of me or not.

"Check and report for vibration sound from underneath the vehicle accelerating between 55-70km/h still present - check history***. Tech Cause: went for a lenghty roadtest with the shopforeman. verified concern, heard the exhaust noise when ECO mode engages, especially when slow acceleration. ECO mode is working properly, shutting half of the engine off for better fuel mileage and make a little of noise momentarily. checked dealerconnect, no RRT or starcase found. no codes found either. *** - Tech comments: no fault found."

*EDIT*

After doing a little google searching on ECO mode, it seems to be a common occurrence over all Dodge vehicles. Some people have reported having their torque converter replaced resolves the issue.

Edited by hereticj

When did they supposedly start using engine displacement for ECO

on the DJ Pentastar?

Sounds like bs to me - I know the v8 had the capability but not the DJ.

I know mine shifts into 6th gear at approx. 63 km/h or about 40 mph

and if I don't coax it to downshift while trying to accelerate at that point

it lugs and makes a funny noise and that is the norm - I can live with it.

Edited by bigtsr

There is no ECO mode for the 3.6 V6 in the Journey. Only the Hemi V8 has multiple displacement (MDS) so your engine is unequivocally NOT shutting off three cylinders at any point in its operation. The 3.6 minivans have an ECO mode as do the Grand Cherokees; this alters the shift points for maximum fuel economy but in no way alters engine performance or shuts off cylinders. The information you have been given is incorrect.

Based on what I am reading and with my own experience with our Journey, I suspect there is an exhaust system issue - either a damper is loose or a muffler baffle or heat shield is loose or defective. Our Journeys with the 3.6 behave much like the minivans when their "ECO" button is activated - shifting early into higher gears for maximum fuel economy. The engine tends to lug under certain speed and throttle conditions. I occasionally hear what I believe to be an exhaust resonance when the engine RPM and vehicle speed are at a particular point - and I can't be specific about it because I've only heard it a few times but that was what immediately came to mind when I heard it. The engine speed was very low - less than 1500 RPM - and once the engine picks up a few more revs the sound disappears.

There are no service bulletins currently for your issue but I will monitor the STAR (service tech assistance requests) cases for any new developments.

• 1 month later...

Journeyman425 has described exactly what I've been experiencing recently. I have a 2011 R/T with 70'000km and love it. Any updates on a permanent fix would be greatly appreciated. I'm leaning toward the exhaust making the rumble, my 03 Caravan does the same thing and hasn't had any affect on performance, but it is annoying.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Can anyone tell me if the noise sounds like this?  (Listen to attached video)

Just picked up a Journey GT 2017 for my parents today and drove it home a few hundred miles.  From 2500-3000RPM around 52MPG when going up hill it made this sound(Listen to attached video).  Sounds like a strut coming off bouncing at first but then also kind of sounds like the traction control kicking in or the antilock brakes, the sound in the video is slightly different than real life.  Ignore the ticking noise in the first part of the video, it is a bobble head.  My folks aren't to happy.  I couldn't make it do the noise other than the conditions above and everyone talking in this post sounds close to my issue but I can't find any videos.  There was around 100 miles on the vehicle when it started doing it.  Thanks for your input.

20170306_181644.mp4

It certainly does not sound normal.  Mine does nothing like that.  If you don't think it was the road, then I'd get the DJ back to the dealer asap.  I'd ask to return the vehicle and get another one.   I've heard of test drives longer than 200 miles so an exchange is certainly not crazy.  Who knows?  Maybe it is something simple and an easy fix.  Good Luck.  My 2011 has been a great car.  I hope yours turns out that way too!

Peace.

8 hours ago, Tripndrag said:

Can anyone tell me if the noise sounds like this?  (Listen to attached video)

Just picked up a Journey GT 2017 for my parents today and drove it home a few hundred miles.  From 2500-3000RPM around 52MPG when going up hill it made this sound(Listen to attached video).  Sounds like a strut coming off bouncing at first but then also kind of sounds like the traction control kicking in or the antilock brakes, the sound in the video is slightly different than real life.  Ignore the ticking noise in the first part of the video, it is a bobble head.  My folks aren't to happy.  I couldn't make it do the noise other than the conditions above and everyone talking in this post sounds close to my issue but I can't find any videos.  There was around 100 miles on the vehicle when it started doing it.  Thanks for your input.

20170306_181644.mp4

Back to the dealer. ASAP.