???17 inch winter wheels rub on brake caliper

wrxz24

I bought a set of 17 inch rims and tires from a guy who owned a 2009 Journey. I put them on this morning and the wheel rubs onto the outside edges of the brake calipers and when I went for a test ride, the rims was taking small metal shavings from the caliper.

My question is, can I file down the edge of the caliper to clear the wheel?. I remember seeing this somewhere before but wasn't sure. Thanks in advance.

I don't see why not if it's just a small amount that would need to be shaved. That's probably what the former owner of the wheels did. If you still have his contact info, it's probably worth asking him if he had to do any shaving.

did the 2009's have different type of calipers I wonder?

• 1 month later...

Too late for me but to each his own. The thing is, these rims came off a 2009 journey.

If they were 17's and they were rubbing on the caliper, I believe the person you bought it from may have been mistaken... If they were from a Dodge Journey, there would be no rubbing. Even with 16" Rims there isn't any rubbing with OEM Dodge Journey Rims.

Glad to hear you got it resolved.

If they were 17's and they were rubbing on the caliper, I believe the person you bought it from may have been mistaken... If they were from a Dodge Journey, there would be no rubbing. Even with 16" Rims there isn't any rubbing with OEM Dodge Journey Rims.

Glad to hear you got it resolved.

They are fine now. It only took a little to make them fit. They definitely came off the Journey as it was sitting in the garage, when I went and picked them up. I am sure the dealer did the same thing I did and took a grinder and went to work.

• 3 months later...

They are fine now. It only took a little to make them fit. They definitely came off the Journey as it was sitting in the garage, when I went and picked them up. I am sure the dealer did the same thing I did and took a grinder and went to work.

I don't think a car dealer selling a new vehicle would grind calipers to fit stock rims. Stock rims are designed to fit without modification, thats why they are stock.

• 3 months later...

So far the shop in the building where I work has tried 3 different sets of steel rims on my R/T. 2 16 inch and 1- 17 inch and all rubbed on the caliper. They have another 17 inch set coming Monday. All where recommended by the suppliers and in the computer as fitting. Good thing we started this process early in the season.

I'm planning on ordering 17s very soon for the winter. Most likely I'll be ordering from Tirerack. Has anyone had any luck with the 17s from Tirerack fitting over the bigger brakes?

Same here, looking for 17's for the winter. I have the same queston about 17's on the bigger brakes. Might stop by the dealer some time and see if I can find some newer Journey's with factory 17's on the lot to see how much clearence there is.

CanadianTire apparently has their new Nordic's on sale in the next week or two for about $150/tire (buy 3, get 4th free) for the 17's, they charge $80-90 for the steel rims though +$15/tire for balancing. Might go with this unless I can find a better deal somewhere else....or at least a better price on the rims.

Let me know what you decide on, I'd be very interested.

Same here, looking for 17's for the winter. I have the same queston about 17's on the bigger brakes. Might stop by the dealer some time and see if I can find some newer Journey's with factory 17's on the lot to see how much clearence there is.

CanadianTire apparently has their new Nordic's on sale in the next week or two for about $150/tire (buy 3, get 4th free) for the 17's, they charge $80-90 for the steel rims though +$15/tire for balancing. Might go with this unless I can find a better deal somewhere else....or at least a better price on the rims.

Let me know what you decide on, I'd be very interested.

Honestly I would prefer steels for the winter, and at the prices you listed I'd save a fair bit compared to tirerack. I guess one concern though is the TPMS, do Canadiantire have'em ?

The price from tirerack isn't too bad for them. I guess I'll have to check out CT this week and see what they have. There is enough of us on here, its too bad we can't get a group buy going.

With the trouble fitting over the larger calipers and rotors I would be cautious ordering online. Talked to the shop today and he has two sets of 17 inch rims coming from different suppliers. According to Tirerack they have a 16 inch package that would fit and 16's would not even clear the large rotors.The first set of 17s did not have enough offset to clear the calipers. Will post next week when I find out how it went.

Yes, that is my concern with ordering on-line, what if they don't fit.

Costco apparently gets cheaper rims but you need to be there they day they come in as they go fast. I might check next time I'm there. I'll also check Walmart to see what they charge. Last time I got my rims at CT and brought them to Walmart where I got the tires, they didn't have anymore 17" rims.

I got a quote from a place in Kanata but they were pricing some off-brand imported POS that got bad reviews on-line.

As for the TPS, I'm temped to go without. I'm not sure what the price is but I didn't get them on my last set of winters and just put up with the TPS warning for the winter. The trick there is to store the tires away from your vehicle (not in your garage) otherwise it will sense them then complain every time you drive away. I always swap tires late and switch back early so it is only a few months of a warning. I'm not sure how much the journey will complain, on my Impala I just had to push a button to acknowledge the alert when I started

Nice to know how the alert works. I had an old Mazda that would throw an engine light every few months and last a couple months. Although it was just a light it drove me crazy and the mechanic couldn't find any problems with the car.

I've priced TPMS from Tirerack and including all taxes, duty, brokerage, and shipping the total price to ship to Ontario is $233 for a set of 4. If you're planning a trip across the border you can save a few bucks. Also, I think the ones from Tirerack and decent quality. Good enough for winters anyway.

I have to admit I wasn't too worried about ordering rims online, but given the sizing problems I am starting to wonder if its worth the risk.

Got a quote from Costco today for winters. 17" oem rims $48, way cheaper than anywhere else I've been. Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 215/65R17 $172+6(enviro fee)-17.50 ($70 discount/set of 4) installed so basically less than $1000 taxes in installed and balanced.

Yes it is for 215/65R17, the shop person said that they were within spec and narrower is better for the winter. Probably will go with costco but might get the 225's instead. Have until Oct 8 to get them as $70 off set ends then.