???17 inch winter wheels rub on brake caliper

wrxz24

Hey folks, if I could use your expertise.. :dreamy:

Anybody know if these would fit the Journey with the larger brakes? http://www.quadratec.com/products/92702_106.htm ? The design suggests much more room for the caliper if you check the pic below. If I choose a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4 Dr Sport Utility Limited on the CT site, it brings up the X44753, - but these Mopar steel rims were designed for that vehicle. I'm guessing they will work... :confused: Finding steel rims for this Journey is becoming a pita.

moparrim.jpg

Wow... these brake callipers really cause a lot of trouble. I just bought a 2013 Journey SE Plus and ordered a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi2 and four steel rims for about $1100, but when it came time to install them, I had the same problem as everyone else. Since winter is fast approaching, and winter tires are required by law after December 15 in Quebec, I had the tires mounted on my mags, and have continued the search for steelies for next winter. I'm going to see about the CT and/or Costco rims - maybe grab a set now, make sure they fit and then hang on to them until next winter. I know that if I wait, I'll forget about this and have to do the research all over again....Thanks to everyone here for sharing.

Hey Guys,

I had the same trouble with my 2009 Sxt the rims were touching the caliper. I did not notice it until i went to use it. When i tried to remove the lock nuts my lock nut adapter broke so i was stuck with wheels on it that i could not use. It became a big pain in the A. I had to drill the studs and replaced them. Bought regular nuts and i'm never puttin those lock shit again. However i went to the dealer and they gave me those 1/4" spacer and now the fit perfectly it is just enough to clear the caliper. I think they sell those at any tire shop.

mm-mmws6_7992.jpg

Edited by VincB23

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... All this talk about fits. I got 17" steels at Costco. Rim #X47326 because that's the one specified in the guide for the Journey. They SEEM to fit (very tightly). I did notice yesterday a noise that sounds like something rubbing - but only when on the gas and only at around 50-60 km/h. I have to take it back to Costco this week anyway because the TPMS sensors they installed do not work. I'll get them to check if there is any rubbing.

Not sure if people are reading older posts or not, but if you're looking for steel rims to fit around the larger calipers the only part number you need to know is X44753. It clears with no touching problems at all. Its a part sold at Canadian Tire, Costco, and most any other tire shop. This is the recommended rim for the models that came with the larger front brake calipers that were introduced mid way through the 2012 production. There is no need for any fancy spacers or custom ordered rims.

I currently have this on my DJ and they are working great.

Well, my X47326 rims clear the calipers just fine.

One thing I did learn today on my return visit to Costco for the purpose of my non-working TPMS sensors: There was a change midway through the 2011 model year to the TPMS sensor type. They went from 315mhz to 433mhz. Costco installed the 433mhz as that is what their guide specified. However, my Journey required the 315mhz sensors, which is why they did not work. They replaced the sensors and now they all work fine. So beware if you have a 2011 and are purchasing TPMS sensors - you may need one or the other and if you're going aftermarket, they may not be able to tell you which ones except through trial and error.

Okay, so I sorted this thing out like this.....Macpek ( http://catalogue.macpek.com/auto-en.aspx) has 17 inch wheels that are correct, X44753 and the factory wheel/tire combo measures 28.9 inches in diameter and turns at 715 revolutions per kilometer (based on my 19 inch wheel/tire package). So the perfect combo for this 17 inch wheel is a tire size of P235/65R17 which measures at 29.1 inches diameter and rotates at 719 Revs per km. I went with the Cooper Winter Claw Extreme Grip MX tires. The Kumho Solus isn't bad at stopping and starting but throw in a little hard-pack snow or icy road....no fun!!! Now, throw in a curve too....YIKES!!!

Will let you know how this works for me over the next little while. I have to go play in an empty parking lot first :headspin:

I have 235/70/16's Hankook Pike's on my RT with steel rims I bought from the dealer the 1st winter I had the vehicle and have had no problems

I did have to buy the 433 mhz sensors but got lucky on Ebay and paid $25 for 8 of them so i have spares to deal with the corrosion issues that cant be stopped because of the poor design and whatever you do do NOT put stem extenders on as they will snap off and destroy the sensor stem then your done found out the hard way

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, so I sorted this thing out like this.....Macpek ( http://catalogue.macpek.com/auto-en.aspx) has 17 inch wheels that are correct, X44753 and the factory wheel/tire combo measures 28.9 inches in diameter and turns at 715 revolutions per kilometer (based on my 19 inch wheel/tire package). So the perfect combo for this 17 inch wheel is a tire size of P235/65R17 which measures at 29.1 inches diameter and rotates at 719 Revs per km. I went with the Cooper Winter Claw Extreme Grip MX tires. The Kumho Solus isn't bad at stopping and starting but throw in a little hard-pack snow or icy road....no fun!!! Now, throw in a curve too....YIKES!!!

Will let you know how this works for me over the next little while. I have to go play in an empty parking lot first :headspin:

UPDATE!!!! Okay, after our first real taste of Old Man Winter and a liberal deposit of 27cm (10 inches or so) of the white stuff I can safely say the Cooper Winter Claws are an extremely good winter tire and not very expensive.

I bought 4 wheels, 4 tires, mounted, balanced, installed and had the dealer store my summers for me. $1054 out the door!! No TPMS sensors installed, the ligh and message centre came on for about am inute or so and shut off. Haven't heard or seen anything since so all is right with the world!!

Thanks Srtified your calculations are bang on. I just got back from Canadian Tire. I got the Goodyear Nordic Winters 235/65R17's with the X44753 steelies to replace my 2013 Journey RT 19's. They don't look smaller and they ride nice. I appreciate your help and the help of everyone else who commented.

$1100 installed with tax. A little pricey but done in an hour. I'm happy. Let it snow.

Tony :yahoo:

Thanks Srtified your calculations are bang on. I just got back from Canadian Tire. I got the Goodyear Nordic Winters 235/65R17's with the X44753 steelies to replace my 2013 Journey RT 19's. They don't look smaller and they ride nice. I appreciate your help and the help of everyone else who commented.

$1100 installed with tax. A little pricey but done in an hour. I'm happy. Let it snow.

Tony :yahoo:

:yup: :yup: No problem!!