???17 inch winter wheels rub on brake caliper

wrxz24

... Part #X44753, same part # that I got from Costo. ....

So I just noticed all the part numbers CT tried on my Journey that DID NOT work.

- X41753 MP

- X47326 RT

- X41753 MP

These numbers were all different than the ones you mentioned, so you might be in luck. Now I'm really anxious to see your results.

So I just noticed all the part numbers CT tried on my Journey that DID NOT work.

- X41753 MP

- X47326 RT

- X41753 MP

These numbers were all different than the ones you mentioned, so you might be in luck. Now I'm really anxious to see your results.

I was wondering what part numbers they had tried. Maybe they don't have a new copy of "the rim book". Costco and Frisby both came up with this number as the proper steel rim.

Feeling more confident about the purchase now. I'll order this week before the tire sale ends but it will be a few weeks after that before I can try one on. I'll update as I progress through this.

ETA: This website seems to have the correct info about wheels http://www.wheelsmacpek.com/

Edited by CCCacher

Called 2 dealers in London Ontario, 1 said he found info on my concern on his computer and said he was aware of the brake change. The other understood what i was saying,but kept referring to a Crew even when i told him several times it was an R/T. The first guy suggested some 17" alloys at the same cost as the steel wheels and assured me that they would fit, price was $1389 with BFG Winterforce i believe they were called. The 2nd guy just kept spewing off #s that were 19" and when i finally told him that what i was really looking for was either a 17" or 18", he immediately shifted gears, but promptly told me they didn't make an 18" for the Journey. He called me back and told me about a steel wheel that would fit and his price was pretty much $1000. So better deal, but the guy sounded a bit like a schister, so i doubt i will be calling him back. I don't mind paying extra price a bit for a guy that really listens to what my concerns are and isn't just being a salesman. Got a few other places to call tomorrow and i will keep you guys updated as soon as i get some.

I went to my local Kal Tire, they put together a winter package with tires and rims for me, 17' and i did ask about spacing issues and the rep said there wouldn't be a problem. I haven't gotten them put on yet but once I do I'll post a few pics. going to be odd going from the 19 down to a 17

Haven't ordered yet, will do this week.

OK, so being the 'smart' guy that I am I wait until the last day of the sale before going to the Costco (on Merrivale) to order the tires/rims. They order the rims, no problem, should be in next week but of course when she looks up the tires she can't order it, probably some sort of production problem or I guess enough people have been taking advantage of the sale. So she looks around and finds 4 over at the Kanata Costco, they have 13 in stock (13??, don't want to be the 4th person looking for theses tires). They won't hold them of course so I pay for the rims and installation and then I have to quickly drive over to get the tires, about a 20 min drive and that much farther from home. I get the tires, no problem they have them waiting then I have the revelation that I could have just ordered the rims from here but it is still early on a Sunday, not quite thinking yet. The nice thing is that 4 tires fit standing up in the back of the Journey without having to fold down the seat. So now I have 4 nice shiny winter tires stacked in the garage to bring back to the other Costco once my rims arrive.

So to summarize:

4- BridgeStone Blizzaks WS70 225/65R17's $660 w/tax

4- Steel Rims #X44753 + installation ........... $285 w/tax

....................................................................~$945 w/tax installed

About $950 all in plus a little driving, not too bad.

Now I have to figure out what I am going to do. Rims should be in next week and they will hold them for about a week so that would put me in to mid/late Oct. Not sure I want my winters on that early, I'll have to see how the weather is doing. What I'll probably do is just pick up the rims then cart the whole lot back once I want them installed.

Edited by CCCacher

........ What I'll probably do is just pick up the rims then cart the whole lot back once I want them installed.

Decent enough plan as long as the rims fit correctly. I'd personally have to try a test fit of even just one rim to make sure, so as to avoid potential hassle in down the line. I've just been burned by more than a few shops (retail, auto, etc....) when I took their word for it and then had to fight to get it corrected. So now I just try to cover myself as much as possible and never trust anything I'm told by someone wearing a name tag or trying to sell me something.

Taxes and and 4 wheel balance comes to $1498, and as I bought them as a set from them, they'll take my tires on and off at no charge which is a nice little bonus.

Is that a price for alloy rims? What tires did you get? My quotes are averaging around $1100 for winters and steels. Alloys with winters and TPMS shipped to Ottawa from Tirerack.com just over $1700 (and that includes the duties and brokerage fees). I just don't want to take a chance unless I'm sure the rim will clear the calipers.

Edited by AstralRT

Taxes and and 4 wheel balance comes to $1498, and as I bought them as a set from them, they'll take my tires on and off at no charge which is a nice little bonus.

Also, I don't believe the 2011 had the bigger front calipers that the late 2012 models have.

Decent enough plan as long as the rims fit correctly. I'd personally have to try a test fit of even just one rim to make sure, so as to avoid potential hassle in down the line. I've just been burned by more than a few shops (retail, auto, etc....) when I took their word for it and then had to fight to get it corrected. So now I just try to cover myself as much as possible and never trust anything I'm told by someone wearing a name tag or trying to sell me something.

The nice thing is that you can return anything to Costco. Funny story, I asked the cashier once if there is anything they don't take back and he told me that they even took back a box of condoms because they guy said his girlfriend got pregnant so they must have been defective. :chairshot:

:backtotopic: So I'm not too worried about there being a problem with fit. Frisby tried the rim on with no problems and the rims that you tried were not the correct part # to start. Remember, this post started with someone who was fitting used rims to a newer journey plus there seems to be a lot to trial-and-error fitting happening. The rim number X41753 you posted do comes back to 2008-2011 Journeys http://www.dumontaut...e 2011-2012.pdf but the books must have been updated to account for the 2012 as both places I've been had the new part #44753. I suspect that many places are just using an old book and assuming that the 2012 is the same (which would normally be the case). Anyways, it is just a matter of time before people start flooding in to get winter tires so we'll see if anyone else posts that they are having a problem.

One thing that I have been wondering is how different are the two brake setups? To me, bigger brakes means a larger disk and a longer caliper, not necessarily a thicker setup. I'd be more inclined to believe a fit problem with 16" rims squeezing around a bigger brake. Granted, a bigger diameter of brake setup could be a problem near the edge of the rim sidewall if the rim bends back in. It would be really interesting to see pics of both side-by-side with the same factory rim. Might have to snoop around the dealership sometime.

What setups are people looking at? Which tire/rim?

ETA: Found a link for Dodge rim sizes up to 2013 and they do list the two rims AstralRT tried. http://dprtroues.com...ysler-Dodge.pdf Page is in french but understandable. They do list the X44753 for the Caravan Crew/RT but not the Journey, interesting.

Edited by CCCacher

ETA: Found a link for Dodge rim sizes up to 2013 and they do list the two rims AstralRT tried. http://dprtroues.com...ysler-Dodge.pdf Page is in french but understandable. They do list the X44753 for the Caravan Crew/RT but not the Journey, interesting.

That is interesting, maybe its just as simple as looking for rims for the Crew/RT Caravan with the tire size for the Journey.

Update: Just did a quick search on the CT website and both the Caravan Crew/RT and the Journey return rims with part #X44753 for 17s and both take the same 225/65/17 tire size. Not sure why when I went to CT they tried all those other rims with different part numbers, maybe this is a recent update because they're gearing up for the winter season.

Edited by AstralRT

Is that a price for alloy rims? What tires did you get? My quotes are averaging around $1100 for winters and steels. Alloys with winters and TPMS shipped to Ottawa from Tirerack.com just over $1700 (and that includes the duties and brokerage fees). I just don't want to take a chance unless I'm sure the rim will clear the calipers.

These are the tires they offered:

https://shop.kaltire.com/tiresdetails1/tireid/91/

17' Steel rims, price includes 4 wheel balance, no TPMS, I'll deal with the warning light for the winter LOL

These are the tires they offered:

https://shop.kaltire...ils1/tireid/91/

17' Steel rims, price includes 4 wheel balance, no TPMS, I'll deal with the warning light for the winter LOL

Assuming I can get the right rim (so far only actually tested fitted a few at CT) the avg price for brand name tires and 17' steels are around 1100-1200 with the Costco quote lower still, and they all prices mentioned included the balancing and taxes. If you haven't already made the purchase, you might want to try and knock them down a little. Rim price shouldn't be more than 89.99+tax a piece, you can find good brand name winter tires quite easy for less than 200+tax each, balancing is quite cheap, and installation is usually free when you buy the tires and have them installed from the same place.

Also, the link you provided is for 225/55/17. The correct size is 225/65/17.

Edited by AstralRT

Well finally got some steel rims that fit. Barely. The breakdown is below. The part number is 44753 for the rims.

225/65r17 Altimax Artic $163.62

Macpeck steel wheel’s $69.96 Ea

TPMS Sensor $59.95 Ea

OTS $5.84 (Ontario Tire Stewardship)

Mount, Balance, programing $17.50

$1267.44

+ tax

$1432.21

Well finally got some steel rims that fit. Barely. The breakdown is below. The part number is 44753 for the rims.

225/65r17 Altimax Artic $163.62

Macpeck steel wheel’s $69.96 Ea

TPMS Sensor $59.95 Ea

OTS $5.84 (Ontario Tire Stewardship)

Mount, Balance, programing $17.50

$1267.44

+ tax

$1432.21

Nice breakdown, thanks. Where did you purchase them? I'm also curious about the programming fee, was this for the TPMS? I was under the assumption they automatically register and connect with the Journey after a short drive.

I bought the package at Great Canadian Auto Centre. they are a Tirecraft dealer. We went through 5 different rims that where supposed to fit and there is not a lot of clearance even now between the caliper and the rim. Not sure about the programming but the 17.50 includes mounting and balancing as well. I work for another division of the company that owns the auto shop so I got a discount. If anyone lives near Kitchener and wants to call the shop, if you msg me and mention my name to Joe you get the whole deal for $1300 all in.

What I'll probably do is just pick up the rims then cart the whole lot back once I want them installed.

Any chance you've had time to do the test fit for the X44753 rim? I'm on a serious hunt of tires/rims this week and I'm leaning towards the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT.

Any chance you've had time to do the test fit for the X44753 rim? I'm on a serious hunt of tires/rims this week and I'm leaning towards the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT.

Not yet, still waiting for Costco to call saying they have arrived. Even then I'm going to wait about a week after that before I have them installed so we're probably looking at next week or the week after. I figured I'd just go ahead an have them put on. No sense in trying them on, taking them off only to have to put them back on a few weeks after. It will be earlier than I usually do it but it is just easier and saves me having to buy a jack until the spring. I'm not a high km driver so I'm not too worried about wearing them out (unless the weather gets really warm again).

Edited by CCCacher

The 44753 rims diffinitely fit the R/T have test fitted the rims and clear caliper by a couple of MM's. I'll have the wheels on by Nov.

Yes, I was just going to say I thought that we had confirmation that the 44753's fit. I had no problems with the quick test fit a few weeks ago.

I'm just being over cautious based on my test fits at CT. I've gone ahead and ordered a set of 44753's with Goodyear Ultra Ice WRT and should have then ready for pick up later this week.

I ordered from a local shop, but here are the tires I've ordered.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Ultra+Grip+Ice+WRT&partnum=265SR7UGIWRT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&wtpackage=true

I'm just being over cautious based on my test fits at CT. I've gone ahead and ordered a set of 44753's with Goodyear Ultra Ice WRT and should have then ready for pick up later this week.

I ordered from a local shop, but here are the tires I've ordered.

http://www.tirerack....&wtpackage=true

So, where are you ordering from? CT or Tirerack? If the price is better from Tirerack i will just order them from there. Got quoted 1349 + taxes from the dealer, BFG Winter Slalom's. But if the price is better i will order from Tirerack tomorrow and then i know i get them soon without issues. The rims were alloys by the way.

I ordered from Frisby Tire. If I had a Costco membership I might've went that route, but didn't feel like signing up just for tires. Plus I like the ultra ice wrt over the xi2 tires. My total price installed is $1206 with steel rims. The tires on tirerack.com are cheaper but once I took into account the nearly triple price for alloys and the extra cost of shipping, duties, and brokerage; ordering from tirerack didn't make sense. CT might be able to get right rim now but there rim price is 89.99, Frisby was 61.66 and Costco is cheaper still if you're a member.

Edited by AstralRT