13,000 KM before first oil change??

caperinmuskoka

What is with the 13,000 KM oil change or every 6-months.

I don't feel like leaving the oil in for that long, even the first oil change I want done before the 5000 KM.

I might be mis-informed but is is way too long ...............I guess the 5/year 100,000 KM powertrain coverage is all Dodge is setting there sights to reach , after that it's all your issues Baby.....

..............Caper...............

For me 5000 KM changes is my old fashion way....LOL.....

What are your thoughts.............

What are the 2010/2011 oil change specs.....??

When I picked up my 2012, they mentioned the warranty maintenance guide's 13,000km changes and said that while it may 'technically' be alright by Chrysler, to simply go by the oil change notice on the EVIC for oil changes. That's the purpose of oil monitoring, after all. They also said you can stick to an 'old school' 5-6,000km schedule and that won't hurt anything either.

I could see going 13k if you're running synthetic. Most synthetics are perfectly fine over that distance, really. In 03, my little Kia was okayed by the dealer to go 10,000km with synthetic and not affect the 160,000km powertrain warranty. I'm sure in 8 years they've improved it enough to get another 3,000 from it.

Of course the 'schedule' takes into account much more than just oil changes. There is also lubrication, belts, filters, and other maintenance that has to be done.

It will tell you when to get it done the first one will pop up at around 5800km which is when mine did and i am pretty sure there were a few others at the same mileage. I am at 11500 now and it hasnt told me to get it done again and i have no idea if it will wait till 13000 km is up or do it before. And 13000 would be in perfect driving conditions on paved roads, ect. So i doubt it would got that long anyways.

Edited by Derekmclain9

Even 5800 KM is a long time to leave oil in there for the engine break-in period. I guy I work with has a 2011 Journey SXT and did his first oil change at 13000Km and they told him it smelled "Burnt". I told him I can't believe you left the oil in there for 13,000KM. What can change to make the oil last an extra 8,000 Km from the normal 5,000 KM ? I don't care what kind of driving conditions your in that a long time, So if someone uses Full Synthetic oil can they go 20,000 or maybe even 25,000 between changes...........LOL........Caper.....

It will tell you when to get it done the first one will pop up at around 5800km which is when mine did and i am pretty sure there were a few others at the same mileage. I am at 11500 now and it hasnt told me to get it done again and i have no idea if it will wait till 13000 km is up or do it before. And 13000 would be in perfect driving conditions on paved roads, ect. So i doubt it would got that long anyways.

I was past 8000km and mine never went off, I went in anyways, no way I'd wait 13k to do one. Just hit 27k going in for I think my 3rd oil change since I got my DJ back in March.

• 8 months later...

The dealership (service) is asking me to do my maintenance every 5,000kms. On the average, I do 2.500kms in a month, which would mean I need to bring my Journey for service every 2 months. Would it affect my warranty if I don't follow the dealership's scheduled maintenance, and only bring my Journey for service say every 7,500kms or 3 months? The manual states 13,000kms or 6months anyway. Any thoughts?

The dealership (service) is asking me to do my maintenance every 5,000kms. On the average, I do 2.500kms in a month, which would mean I need to bring my Journey for service every 2 months. Would it affect my warranty if I don't follow the dealership's scheduled maintenance, and only bring my Journey for service say every 7,500kms or 3 months? The manual states 13,000kms or 6months anyway. Any thoughts?

Although that is what the dealership would like you to do you have 13,000km or 6 months between oil changes according to your manual.....the owners manual trumps whatever the dealer says so you are completely safe to wait the 3 months/7,500km and it will not void your warranty.

The oil change alert in the vehicle is a calculation and isn't based on any physical measurement of oil cleanliness or protective qualities; The only way to REALLY know when to change your oil is to send a sample to a lab and see what they have to say.

5,000 km (or miles) can be a very short life span for oil in a vehicle engine - though if you live in the desert it will get loaded with particulate matter and your engine will be less happy than it would if you were running the engine on the open highway for 5 hours each day. If you change oild regularly there is no reason to use synthetic oil - in fact given the potential for and impact of particulate loading, fuel, water, and coolant contamination, synthetic could be an expensive way to reduce the overall life of your engine.

Everyone told me I should be using synthetic oil in my 2011. I have been using dino oil in my Dakota for all of its 217 K miles with changes every 3-4 K. Although I can produce no data myself, I have this internal feeling that changing the oil more frequently is just better. Clean lubricant in the engine more frequently just feels better to me. I don't get the same warm fuzzies from the thought of leaving synthetic in my engine 10 K + miles. I do live in the desert, so maybe I have done the right thing completely by accident. It has worked for my 'kota, which, as i say above, is still running strong at 217 K. If you have any doubts about your warranty, keep running dino oil and change more frequently. It is likely a wash either way. Synthetic fans will likely tell you their reasons why synthetic is better than dino. Probably merits to both. . .

On a related note, having that 25 point inspection that goes along with those oil changes more frequently would likely be a good thing. Never know what they may find on an inspection that needs to be fixed.

Peace.

• Official Dodge Support

Although that is what the dealership would like you to do you have 13,000km or 6 months between oil changes according to your manual.....the owners manual trumps whatever the dealer says so you are completely safe to wait the 3 months/7,500km and it will not void your warranty.

2012DodgeJourney,

This is correct info that SeXT has posted. If you drive in extreme conditions you may want to change it more frequently but the only way a warranty repair would be denied due to you not changing the oil would be if there was evidence such as sludge indicating that you have not performed your maintenance in a timely fashion.

2012DodgeJourney,

This is correct info that SeXT has posted. If you drive in extreme conditions you may want to change it more frequently but the only way a warranty repair would be denied due to you not changing the oil would be if there was evidence such as sludge indicating that you have not performed your maintenance in a timely fashion.

'Sludge' notwithstanding, as long as you can prove (through receipts) that the oil was changed at least as often as the manual stipulates, they cannot deny a claim on te basis on 'failure to maintain'.

The old 2.7 had a nasty habit of 'sludging up' and Chrysler tried very hard to hide behind the claim of 'abuse'. Those who had their documentation and the cojones to take them to small claims court were almost guaranteed a refund on their repaIr bills. Unfortunately only a tiny minority of people stick it out to the end and many, many people were left holding the bills for their repairs.

• 2 months later...

Gooday folks.....2500 km on my '12 with the 2.4 litre engine....just talked to the service dept....they do not recommend synthetic oil till 25,000 km minimum....and they definitely did not recomment 0-20 oil.....any thoughts on these statements.....

Gooday folks.....2500 km on my '12 with the 2.4 litre engine....just talked to the service dept....they do not recommend synthetic oil till 25,000 km minimum....and they definitely did not recomment 0-20 oil.....any thoughts on these statements.....

Waiting until 25,000 km's is total crap. It's unfortunate that they would say something like that as it makes them sound pretty idiotic. You can use it anytime and will suffer no consequences......check out some myth busters here: http://www.mobiloil....tics/Myths.aspx other oil companies have the same posted on their websites as well.

I do agree that you should not go with 0-20 and stick with the recommended viscosity in your owners manual.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

• Official Dodge Support

“Hello all –

The attached PDF has information regarding Chrysler’s Oil Change indicator system.

Please look it over, as it pertains to the discussion in this thread

As for the selection of oil for gas engines and Flex-Fuel Vehicles (FFV / E-85), they require specially formulated engine oils.

These special requirements are included in MOPAR* engine oils, and in equivalent oils meeting Chrysler Specification MS-6395 and meet API Certification.

MS-6395 contains additional requirements, developed during extensive fleet testing, to provide additional protection to our engines.

OIL CHANGE INDICATOR SYSTEM.pdf

I get an alert in my car about every 5000 kms. and I just let my dealer know. As part of the deal for buying a car from him, he offers lifetime oil changes at every 3 months or 5000 kms. I haven't paid for an oil change since 1991 when I bought my first Caravan from him.

Terry

• Official Dodge Support

I get an alert in my car about every 5000 kms. and I just let my dealer know. As part of the deal for buying a car from him, he offers lifetime oil changes at every 3 months or 5000 kms. I haven't paid for an oil change since 1991 when I bought my first Caravan from him.

Terry

Terry that's great!

It's nice to see that kind of loyalty not only from a customer but a dealer who looks after a customer like yours has!

Hope you enjoy your R/T for many years to come!

It's nice to see that kind of loyalty not only from a customer but a dealer who looks after a customer like yours has!

My dealer has always been great, he is a small dealership about 70 kms.east of "the big city". The two Regina dealerships are fine, but just don't have the small town atmoshere that my dealer has. When I walk in everybody knows who I am, what I drive etc.not too mention their labour rates are much cheaper.

Terry

146733255.jpg

Edited by Windancer

Terry that's great!

Hope you enjoy your R/T for many years to come!

I agree. It's great to have a dealership that appreciates customer loyalty. After several bad service experiences with one particular Chrysler dealership in Windsor after a history of purchasing 6 vehicles over the years, I decided to go to another dealership to order my new Journey. I'm sure the change in ownership was definately the problem. They not only lost my business but my son's as well.

My dealer has always been great, he is a small dealership about 70 kms.east of "the big city". The two Regina dealerships are fine, but just don't have the small town atmoshere that my dealer has. When I walk in everybody knows who I am, what I drive etc.not too mention their labour rates are much cheaper.

Terry

• 4 months later...

I am just in the process of trading my '09 SXT in on a new '13 Crew and after reading the info on the Oil Change Indicator System link from DodgeCACares I was shocked to see the oil change interval has increased to 16,000 Km or 6 months for the 2013 model year. Not sure I can go even half that long. Just goes against what I have done for the last 40+ years of driving. My dealer is still recommending 5,000 Km or 3 months.

• Official Dodge Support
I am just in the process of trading my '09 SXT in on a new '13 Crew and after reading the info on the Oil Change Indicator System link from DodgeCACares I was shocked to see the oil change interval has increased to 16,000 Km or 6 months for the 2013 model year. Not sure I can go even half that long. Just goes against what I have done for the last 40+ years of driving. My dealer is still recommending 5,000 Km or 3 months.

wingit,

You are not obligated to go to 16,000kms, that is the max allowable.

If you want to follow the 5,000KMs or 3 months your dealer recommends, please do so as they would be recommending this based on your location, weather, driving habits, etc...

Every part of the country is different and most dealers will have different recommendations.

I wouldn't go by that, that just sounds like the dealers way of getting more money out of you. Go by what the manual says and when the oil indicator light chimes (which for me is about every 8,000 miles on the dot).

Engines nowadays aren't like they were 40 years ago. The "change oil every 3,000 miles" is a thing of the past. Although, I know that's hard to change since we've all made it a habit from the past.

I wouldn't go by that, that just sounds like the dealers way of getting more money out of you. Go by what the manual says and when the oil indicator light chimes (which for me is about every 8,000 miles on the dot). Engines nowadays aren't like they were 40 years ago. The "change oil every 3,000 miles" is a thing of the past. Although, I know that's hard to change since we've all made it a habit from the past.

It's not so much the engines but the quality of oil that is better than in the past ;)....regardless I still wouldn't go by what the owners manual says unless you are using a synthetic oil with a filter that is rated for that many miles and as DodgeCACares mentioned it depends on the type of driving you do and where you live. Stop n' go driving in the city would need oil changes a lot more frequently than someone who does most of their driving on the highway. I do my own oil changes so at 5000 kms/3000 miles it's getting changed.