Window Tint

I found a website where you can order the pre-cut pieces (can't find it right now) and they recommended 20% to match the factory deep tint. My Xterra was the same, 20% matched the factory tint. Like Derek said, 20% might not be exact but it will be the closest aftermarket stuff available.

personally, having different tint on the front and back just looks terrible so I like to match it as close as possible.

Oh, BTW... I ended up buying the pre-cut front pieces on eBay and I'll apply them myself. They were $25.00 including shipping to Canada where the local shop wanted $80 + tax. Their price for the wind vent shades and hood deflector were much more reasonable, $75 + tax each including installation so I have an appt for Friday to have them installed.

I'm forced to have difference tint front to back because of state laws here. So dark in back and no more than 30-35% up front. :rant2:

Our laws here are worse than that, on the front you are not allowed any tint whatsoever but the back windows can be completely painted. In the city where I live, lots of people have their windows tinted. Some do lighter up front than in the back but just as many do 20% all around and never get pulled over. I had 20% on my G6 for 4 years and never had a problem with it. However, if you venture outside the city to the smaller towns (where the cops have a lot more time on their hands) you'll get pulled over and told to remove it.

Edited by derfnl

Our laws here are worse than that, on the front you are not allowed any tint whatsoever but the back windows can be completely painted. In the city where I live, lots of people have their windows tinted. Some do lighter up front than in the back but just as many do 20% all around and never get pulled over. I had 20% on my G6 for 4 years and never had a problem with it. However, if you venture outside the city to the smaller towns (where the cops have a lot more time on their hands) you'll get pulled over and told to remove it.

I know how that goes! I've had buddies that had 20% all around and never got a ticket, but one particular friend of mine had that on a charget and got SEVERAL HEFTY tickets! I'm talking upwards of $400US! It's not worth the risk. I'll just have to deal with 35% upfrong and hopefully like someone else said on this thread, maybe it'll look darker because mine is brilliant black.

I know how that goes! I've had buddies that had 20% all around and never got a ticket, but one particular friend of mine had that on a charget and got SEVERAL HEFTY tickets! I'm talking upwards of $400US! It's not worth the risk. I'll just have to deal with 35% upfrong and hopefully like someone else said on this thread, maybe it'll look darker because mine is brilliant black.

I found something interesting on the factory window tint on my 2011 when I went to have the fronts tinted. The installer I've dealt with on several vehicles said factory dark tint varies from 18% to 25% (depending on manufacture). He checked the rear window tint on my Mainstreet and it's 27%. This is the darkest legal tint South Carolina allows on the front door windows. Has anyone else had the factory tint on the '11 and found the same? I'm also having the top of the windshield tinted to the AS1 line. South Carolina is similar in they don't enforce/ticket unless it's blatant. Also here too you can have the rear side and back windows painted like a delivery wagon.

Edited by coolram62

Thanks for the info on the rear tint coolram62. Our local police department has a light meter just for window tint, but couldn't find it when I asked about it. I knew the back was lighter than the 20% the tint kit companies say they are, but darker than the 35%. State law here is 35% on the fronts and as dark as you want on the others. Did your installer find 27% or did they install 35%?

Thanks for the info on the rear tint coolram62. Our local police department has a light meter just for window tint, but couldn't find it when I asked about it. I knew the back was lighter than the 20% the tint kit companies say they are, but darker than the 35%. State law here is 35% on the fronts and as dark as you want on the others. Did your installer find 27% or did they install 35%?

You are most welcome for the info. The Journey's looked lighter than the factory tint on my Avalanche but i thought since the fronts weren't tinted yet was why. I went with 27% on the front doors which is the legal limit in SC. Also had the band on the top of the windshield done at 27%.

• 1 year later...

Hi, owners from Canada (Toronto), any suggestions where to get a good tint job?

Thanks!

Ziebart is reasonable with iron clad warranty,my '07 Caliber was as good as the day

they did it when I traded it on the DJ after 5 yrs.

• 1 year later...

Old thread but....I guess the cops in NFLD do have a lot of time on their hands indeed. Here in Ontario, there is no written law in the driving code so to speak, but there is a general presumption that the cops want to be able to see the driver. When I picked up the new Journey 2014 on Saturday, I had 20% in front and 15% in the back. I was still able to see into the car from a distance, and this was not going to fly as I don't want people looking in to the back and seeing it as an opportunity to break in.

I took it to another shop yesterday and the back windows are now blackened out...2% I believe and that helped make the front 20% slightly more darker with teh chance of cops still being able to see the driver.

The state I live in, it's not so much the cops, it's your vehicle won't pass inspection if the tints too dark on the drivr/passenger windows, and they charge you and extra $10 to inspect a car with aftermarket tint (35% is the limit). What a scam. Other states, like Florida, do not have tint laws and can have completely dark all the way around.

Edited by jkeaton

The state I live in, it's not so much the cops, it's your vehicle won't pass inspection if the tints too dark on the drivr/passenger windows, and they charge you and extra $10 to inspect a car with aftermarket tint (35% is the limit). What a scam. Other states, like Florida, do not have tint laws and can have completely dark all the way around.

I could deal with 35%... In the great white north (Minnesota) the law is 50%... Obviously that is a waste of money so everyone has illegal tint. It's stupid if you ask me. Actually, it's even stupid if you don't ask me...

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I posted prior that I had the front tints done to match by a guy I use for a full range of auto and motorcycle detailing. After a few days I realized it wasn't dark enough. Yesterday I had all the windows done in a tint equal to 20%. It looks awesome. The Dodge tint is too light. He did my Nissan 6 years ago and still looks great.

• 2 weeks later...

I had mine tinted but the guy who did mine did 25 front window and said back windows are 18...No cops mess with me but then again we dodge journey drivers are not a target for cops ... I sit next to about 10 cops at different intersections since I got it tinted and one even came up to me at a self service car wash and said nice looking suv. He didnt say one word about my tint being too dark. also the guy who did mine said if I ever did get a ticket he would take it off for free and redo at half price with a 35 tint. I paid 80 dollars for both windows done...I thought about the front WS but he said that is what most cops look for, one with front windows as well. kinda tells the cop your hiding something . if you do 20, just dont do the front windshield .. Also 25 is not that much darker then 35.. you can see a slight difference in my tint but i think it blends in good

dj16_zps09u9wjcq.jpg

Edited by Billy Billy

I did my DJ front windows in 20% and added another layer of tint on the rears to match the fronts. The car looks great. I have another black car with the windows 20% and a blacked out Harley. Guess I like the look. My daughter wants to repaint my DJ in matt black. I just bought a cargo mat from WeatherTech and will put my review up soon.

• 7 months later...

I'm thinking of getting my front windshield 75% more for the heat reduction than anything else, my back windows are 5% and the passenger and driver window is 35% big mistake going to take that tint off and put 20%