Vehicle has "shudder" at crusing speeds

Have SXT Front Wheel Drive with 19" cast wheels and Kumhos and 1500 miles on it. Vehicle exhibits shudder through floor/seats above 60 mph on smooth roads. Vehicle has had all wheels rebalanced with no corrective effect. Has anyone else experienced this?

Just got back from Myrtle Beach

94* or better everyday-air conditioning is great especially the Auto function

It ran great averaged 24.4 mpg-4 people luggage & clubs

No shudder at any speed

ONLY complaints-the seat is very very uncomfortable(leather) hard on the cheek and the BRAKE dust is horrible the wheels are black

Just changed the oil & it was more clean than dirty but I just hit 8800 klms so it was time for the 2nd change

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I also have SXT FWD with 19" cast wheels and Kumhos. I have made several highway trips and have not noticed a shudder, but I will listen/feel for it next time I get it up to speed.

I did note too how uncomfortable the seats on a long drive. I have to stop and stretch my right leg every couple of hours. I miss my old Caravan seats - my trick knee would lock up occasionally, but not my whole leg - Phil

• 8 months later...

I also have SXT FWD with 19" wheels and Kumhos, performance suspension & steering. No problem with shuddering. The ride is unbelievably smooth!

I agree with the seat comment too! I think I would like to switch the seats out of the Jeep Liberty and put them in my Journey! Those seats are incredibly comfortable!!

• 1 month later...
I have the same Shutter....Mine is a SXT. Anywhere from 80 km/h -110 km/h.

No fix yet....but I am taking the shop foreman out for a drive this week. I am not happy so far.

Canada Jay....Quick question...I'm in Ontario and I'm experiencing the same thing over the past few weeks. Took it in twice, eventually they rotated and balanced all four tires, but it's still there? What happened with you? Just live with it...or did they actually find anything. It's either something in the front end ti-rods, bushings or the tires themselves.

Thanks for any info you have!

Cooch

News!!!

I just took my Journey in...I had enough! this what I've had done and think it's finally fixed. The front brake rotors were warped. Apparently this is common in the new mini vans, rare with the journeys though. I've taken it pretty much all over an the ride is like new again. I still see a small wiggle in the wheel but I think that's common and I'm probably looking for trouble any way.

Hope this helps anyone else!

The 2000 Cirrus I traded in for my Journey constantly had brake rotor warping problems since I bought it-- the only real problem I had with that car. The vibration really got on my nerves. But the last time it needed front brakes I did it myself with new rotors again. I went the last 2 years without vibration. I determined that shops were warping the rotors when using their impact wrenches to tighten the aluminum rims. Of course, when I did the brake job in my garage I tightened them with a hand wrench. From now on I'll tell them to tighten the rims without impact wrenches.

JK

They kept mine overnight to keep working on it.

The good news is the shop foreman remembered driving it in Oct and feeling the shakes and tranny clunks.

Fingers crossed that it will come back fixed.

No parts were replaced but the PCM was flashed...Tranny issues are gone (so far) and I haven't had it at hwy speeds yet to see if the shake is still present.

They did say that one of the TSB's or RDR(?) talked about hwy shudder as a tranny issue.

No parts were replaced but the PCM was flashed...Tranny issues are gone (so far) and I haven't had it at hwy speeds yet to see if the shake is still present.

They did say that one of the TSB's or RDR(?) talked about hwy shudder as a tranny issue.

I did a test drive....I didn't feel the shutter (steering wheel shake).... and trust me....I was trying to feel it.

So to recap....No parts replaced. They flashed the PCM with some new code. Part of the PCM update indicated a shutter/vibration at hwy speeds.

Ok...this is the deal. Here's what they did with mine after 7 visits...yes 7!

They've rebalanced and rotated all 4 tires. (still not happy with tires, with all the weird stuff happening I am sure that they have worn somewhat uneven and may need replacing after 35,000k...but they have noted that and if that happens could get them replaced at n/c-warranty- a wait and see thing)

Replaced front rotors (noticed a premature wear area before this all started, but they were warped though)

Replaced both front Hub and Bearing assemblies ....did the left rear as well...( I told them to check the back end into the 3rd visit )

So, I've had it back for 2 days now...seems ok. Actually the shifting speeds when I am going from 40-110 seam real smooth now...wonder what you said about the tranny stuff as the service manager mentioned a tranny thing earlier. But the front end/steering and handling is quite stiffer than it was...just like when I got it. Handles much better coming of the ramps and curves.

If anyone still has issues....maybe take this along and point some of this out.

Safe driving!

Hi Canada_Jay,

Vibration at highway speed.

I took dely on June 9-2009, on the very first drive home; I notice abnormal vibration in the steering wheel, at highway speed, (range always steady at 105 Km/hr). Twice the car was service for 2 days, and they tried the following:

-Rebalancing the original 4 mags (16"),

Then service bulletin # 22-001-08 came up (April 19-2008), tires flat spot (nylon side-wall) giving wheels unbalance symptoms. So they ask me to drive the car an extra 1000 km, to iron out the flat spots, that got me furious at the service mgr. The tires are Hankook.

Again they tried a second set of mag wheels and tires(identical), with the same result of vibration coming back, that set was left on the car. Please note that this is happening in the weeks that Chrysler is resuming production in Ontario, Ca. There are no car in the dealer's yard.

And they told me that driver front axle was change as report on the work order.

From here they stated that I was looking for perfection. I told them that the 20 000 km Grand Caravan that was lend to me had a good steering with no vibration, and I am looking for the same in my Journey.

On my own, I decide to purchase and install a quality winter wheels-tires set (yes in July-28). This would point out the OEM tires set or something else. I went to visit my tire shop (last Friday), near my workplace, and we agreed that I would order from my Dodge dealer, OEM 16" steel rims, TPMS sensors etc., that I would issue to them. (And please note, that I had already purchased 4 steel mag type nut to replace the Macgard lock).

Before leaving the tire shop I asked the owner to remove the Mcgard lock nuts, and he did.

What a surprise the vibration was gone (98%); I drove the same roads for the next 4 days and almost perfect with the factory alu second wheel sets. Then on the next Wednesday I went for my winter wheels installation. At first I had the same 98% vibration free ride and a day later after a medium high speed right turn, the vibration settle back-in.

After 50 days of driving this car and careful observation, I can tell:

Vibration occurs at the 105 km speed, smooth pavement increase the amplitude.

My car at very low speed (below 10 Km/hr) over bad pavement will exhibit bump-steer. Driving on the right hand lane it will be straight, in the left lane the cars want to go even more left. They have checked the alignment to be correct.

It is frustating to argue with the dealer, supports comes from my friends that have noticed the steering shake.

If it is a tranny issue and PCM related, can you provide an update if you still have steering wheel vibration at highway speed, and from above description, can you tell if you have experience some of it.

Please any assistance is welcome.

Best regards,

Journey SE+

Hello.

I just got back from a trip to a cottage. 300 kms away. I have to say that the steering wobble is a lot better but not gone completely. I noticed it more when pulling the boat up a hill or coasting down the other side. (about 100 kph).

The tranny does shift better under no load but down shifting going up hill to maintain speed on the highway was a hard shift.

This is my first Dodge....so far I don't like it and am glad it is a lease.

Ok...The problem has not been found obviously as of yet, but I took mine back for the 8th time this past Tuesday. I got a call back saying that the Service Foreman on the floor had called Chrysler Engineering. Apparently, there are now number of complaints now and they are aware of the issue, but as of yet have no fix or repair is in place.

So, for now drive it as is and keep an eye on and if it gets considerably worse we are to take it back in. Keep a watch on the tires for wear, as warranty will be in place for this. We need to make sure we don't get screwed here. The longer we drive with the problem, the more k's we put on. I've been told not too worry but take that for what it's worth.

Hopefully you can rest and not worry about it for now...I can't believe how much time has been wasted let alone parts! My poor Journey has been taken apart for nothing! I feel like a guinea pig! There should be a recall once it's decided on what they need to do.

If I hear anymore I'll let you guys know!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking into trying to get the dealer to switch up my 225/70/16's for 225/65/17's to see the difference. I have a guy out west who had the dealer out there try this with a set of a used SXT...a d now the shudder/wobble was gone! I guess there is a .5 percent difference in the speed ratio, but I can live with that if it works. He drove it with tire change for almost 2 days...no issues and no guarantees. But it was just gone completely!

It'll all come down whether or not the dealer will do it, or even entertain it? Make sure if they do it for you, ask them to drive it yourself. You'll get the better feel than anyone else! It's worth a shot as we don't know when dodge will come up with a fix?

I'll let you guys know how I make out! Thanks Jason....

I also have SXT FWD with 19" cast wheels and Kumhos. I have made several highway trips and have not noticed a shudder, but I will listen/feel for it next time I get it up to speed.

I did note too how uncomfortable the seats on a long drive. I have to stop and stretch my right leg every couple of hours. I miss my old Caravan seats - my trick knee would lock up occasionally, but not my whole leg - Phil

Hey Phil,

Just thought I'd give you my two cents... when I first started to drive the new Journey I was noticing some leg numbness too but kept playing with the seat adjustments. It has taken about a week to figure out the best spot for each part of the seat but now I have a completely comfortable ride.

I found the most important adjustment was the front portion of the electric toggle. When you move it up and down it adjusts the tilt of the seat. I found it was this that was cutting off my circulation and now all is good and I'll be making babies for the 5 open seats in no time! :censored:

Just a thought, I hope it helps. :talkhand:

I did a test drive....I didn't feel the shutter (steering wheel shake).... and trust me....I was trying to feel it.

So to recap....No parts replaced. They flashed the PCM with some new code. Part of the PCM update indicated a shutter/vibration at hwy speeds.

Does anyone know what the TSB # or the reflash actually is. I am having the same issues and the dealer cannont find the update. They dont have an issue doing it, but need the TSB # to find what the update was. It would be listed on the paperwork you recieved after getting your upgrade done.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok...The problem has not been found obviously as of yet, but I took mine back for the 8th time this past Tuesday. I got a call back saying that the Service Foreman on the floor had called Chrysler Engineering. Apparently, there are now number of complaints now and they are aware of the issue, but as of yet have no fix or repair is in place.

So, for now drive it as is and keep an eye on and if it gets considerably worse we are to take it back in. Keep a watch on the tires for wear, as warranty will be in place for this. We need to make sure we don't get screwed here. The longer we drive with the problem, the more k's we put on. I've been told not too worry but take that for what it's worth.

Hopefully you can rest and not worry about it for now...I can't believe how much time has been wasted let alone parts! My poor Journey has been taken apart for nothing! I feel like a guinea pig! There should be a recall once it's decided on what they need to do.

If I hear anymore I'll let you guys know!

I read with interest the whole chain regarding vibration. We are in Ontario and have an RT. Last fall i noticed minor vibrations in the steering wheel at speeds similar to those talked about here. I took it for a ride with a service manager and he said it was the snow tires..they were a bit rougher ride so i let it go. We put our 19 inch tires back on and of course the vibration was still there.

I asked our corporate mechanic to take it for a ride and he said there was an issue with the third gear causing problems and to get it fixed soon. So i took it in. They tested the tranny and said it was to spec with no error codes.

I took it home and when out tested it at various speeds on different roads, the vibration could still be felt in the wheel at 2000rpm when the gears were changing.

Recently we had it in for an oil change. while there they swapped out the reservoir, changed the brake switch and...adjusted a torque converter nut all re bulletins.

Now it idles very high and rough as if skipping, the vibration now can be felt through the floor up my leg and the vibration in the steering wheel is very pronounced.. taking it in tomorrow as we planned a trip out of town.. Hopefully they will undo that adjustment and get it back to where it was. The car is not riding as smooth nor as quiet as when first bought.. that vibration is an issue for sure.

The Stewie

• 1 month later...

I also have SXT only AWD with 19" cast wheels and Kumhos and it had (and now has again) a shake/shudder/shimmy in the steering wheel when coasting at 50-65 mph. We took ours back to the dealer 2 weeks after we purchased it and they did an "on vehicle" wheel balance that seemed to temporarily fix the problem. Now a couple of months later it is back only while coasting and braking. Will be taking it back to the dealer again to see what they do this time. Expecting the "That's normal" diagnosis.... I am not happy with the journey and wish I had bought something else!