My new 2011 not very smooth riding

drb227

I've had my 2011 Crew for just over a week now. I found the ride to be a bit rough on the way home from the dealership but thought that it may be something like overinflated tires or just the fact that the vehicle is brand new and a little stiff. This is with the 19" tires and rims (not the chrome rims).

I had 16" winter tires on steel rims (OEM Dodge rims) put on the next day. I still find the ride to be not nearly as smooth as I thought it would be. Mostly it feels like the shaking when you have a wheel that is not properly balanced. I am going to have the tire shop check all 4 wheels for proper balance and to make sure there isn't anything wrong with any of the 4 steel rims. Could be any number of issues.

I realize it will not be as smooth ridiing as a car but, to me, something is definitely not quite right.

Anybody else with a Journey with the 19" wheels experience the same thing?

I find my 2010 R/T's suspension to be very nice. I took it on a 3,000 mile trip through the Rockies to northern Vancouver Island the week I got it and I was very impressed.

Terry

I've had my 2011 Crew for just over a week now. I found the ride to be a bit rough on the way home from the dealership but thought that it may be something like overinflated tires or just the fact that the vehicle is brand new and a little stiff. This is with the 19" tires and rims (not the chrome rims).

I had 16" winter tires on steel rims (OEM Dodge rims) put on the next day. I still find the ride to be not nearly as smooth as I thought it would be. Mostly it feels like the shaking when you have a wheel that is not properly balanced. I am going to have the tire shop check all 4 wheels for proper balance and to make sure there isn't anything wrong with any of the 4 steel rims. Could be any number of issues.

I realize it will not be as smooth ridiing as a car but, to me, something is definitely not quite right.

have the sxt 2010 with winter tire and rims from them 16 " wheels

have the same problem and they try balanced for second time but still same shake from car

it does start at 95 km and up and better than that the mechanic guy does confirm shaking on invoice

when to see and other mecanic guy told me it could be shafft or part making that shaking

and im going back to dealer and to get new tire and rims change for new .... i will ask to meet the Service Manager

and for my transmission it still does not shift at cold wheather so i used the manuals shifter to get it up to the 5 or 6

because as i see mechanic guy not..................

Edited by disappointed

I have a '09 Journey R/T with 19". A few of my engineering friends warned me against the 19" saying it would be rought. I drove over 20,000 KMs last summer accross Canada and the ride was fantastic. You may be having an alignment issue. I had an alignment issue and I had to 'convince' the tech guys to fix it.

I also have a 2009 R/T and find it to be a very smooth ride. The demo unit I took out impressed my wife and I for its quiteness and smooth ride and our own vehicle is just as good.

At the time we were looking we also test drove a Ford Escape and Edge and we found that both of these had a much rougher ride than the Journey.

• 2 weeks later...

have the sxt 2010 with winter tire and rims from them 16 " wheels

have the same problem and they try balanced for second time but still same shake from car

it does start at 95 km and up and better than that the mechanic guy does confirm shaking on invoice

when to see and other mecanic guy told me it could be shafft or part making that shaking

and im going back to dealer and to get new tire and rims change for new .... i will ask to meet the Service Manager

and for my transmission it still does not shift at cold wheather so i used the manuals shifter to get it up to the 5 or 6

because as i see mechanic guy not..................

warped rotors would also give you a nice shake on the steering. You might not feel it during braking, but at higher speeds it may become noticeable.

So today I decided it was time to put my summer tires back on. They are the original 19" tires and non-chrome aluminum rims that come standard on the Crew. Only had them on the first day I got my Journey as I had the 16" winter tires on steel rims put on the very next day.

I can now say that my 2011 Crew is riding much smoother, like I was expecting it to be since I got it 1 month ago.

Clearly there is something wrong with the winter tires/wheels. My guess would be that one of them wasn't properly balanced or there is a defect with one of the tires or rims. In any event, I will have them re-balanced and checked over before I put them back on this fall.

I'm very relieved that it is not a problem with the Journey itself!

Clearly there is something wrong with the winter tires/wheels. My guess would be that one of them wasn't properly balanced

Glad to hear that your Journey is now performing the way you expected. Your winter tires must have needed balancing, were defective or the rims were bent etc. Enjoy your car!!!

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased my 2011 Journey R/T last week and it too rode hard. Checked tire pressures and they were over 45 psi on all positions from the dealership! Set pressures to the recommended 36 psi and now the Journey rides smooth like it should.

Edited by RTDriver

Just purchased my 2011 Journey R/T last week and it too rode hard. Checked tire pressures and they were over 45 psi on all positions from the dealership! Set pressures to the recommended 36 psi and now the Journey rides smooth like it should.

Hard to believe a dealer would let a car go with 45 psi in the tires. Your car must ride so much better at 36psi in the tires. :banghead:

Terry

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...