Alternator fuse? need help

New to this forum, and beeing from the netherlands forgive me for writing erors.

I do have a 2009 Dodge 2.4, the alternator died a few weeks ago and this weekend we replaced it with a new Redix alternator, and also replaced the battery.

But is doesn't charge the battery, no voltage on the alternator with a running engine.

Is there a fus that could be blown? checked the fuses in the fuse box and they seem to be OK. I know some cars have a big fuse between the alternator and the battery, does my Dodge have one? and where is it located? I can't find any info on the internet

Hope someone can help before i have to go to a expensive mechanic, i'd rather spend my money on US vacations.

greetings Richard

13 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

have you had the new alt checked to make sure it is charging,,even new can be bad...also might want to go with OEM 

We did not check the alternator before install, but we just found out there is no connection between the alternator and the battery, one of my neighbours who is a experienced technician (roadside service) did measure the cable and no go.

So maybe a blown fuse on that cable, but we can't find one, so tomorow we are going to instal a new cable and find out.

Also prefer OEM but those Dodge altenators are very expensive and very hard to find. 

Edited by richard033

No voltage where on alternator. Both large cable with the high amp output and the smaller wire on the push plug (trigger wire) from battery should show close to  dc voltage when car is running.  

Large alt fuse should be located on fuse box under hood. 

Looks like there isn’t t a typical large 120 amp fuse for alternator. But there is a fusible link in the system.

Unusual set up. TIPM controlling chargingI think.

A43D2BDE-04FC-4658-B241-F71BB5C03A79.thumb.jpeg.8833b78c8169222b30f78cd298ee6963.jpeg

More info about charging system . This guy rewired things and added a std fuse.

The results so far! Nothing.

IMG20240214173031.thumb.jpg.5f3c7826ea51c2d5c1ff523413e6b98a.jpg

We did run a wire between the alternator and the battery, stil not charging, Then my experienced roadside mechanic neighbour did use a amp meter and that also showed nothing, see picture.

Now i'm trying tot get another replacement altenator from autodoc

Fusible link is with th the big stud on the starter solenoid.

Also check for 5 volt on the small 2 wire connector to the alternator. This problem has been hashed out many times on the forum and videos posted of testing/repairing this problem. It is the same for all years having the 2.4 {4 cylinder} motor.

5 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

Fusible link is with th the big stud on the starter solenoid.

Also check for 5 volt on the small 2 wire connector to the alternator. This problem has been hashed out many times on the forum and videos posted of testing/repairing this problem. It is the same for all years having the 2.4 {4 cylinder} motor.

Fusible link is bypassed for testing.

a link would be helpfull for the other posts about this problem

• 1 month later...