Dodge Journey runs perfect with ABS light on! Why?

NetherMined

Hi, 

I have a 2.7 V6 Dodge Jouney.

I have a truly uncommon issue i think. My Journey jerks, fells like power loss at low RPM ( aound 1000 to 2000 ) while driving. From reading online for countless hours i have done the following .

Replace TCC and EPC solenoid on Transmission,

Replaced MAP sensor,

Replaced spark plugs.

Had many readings of the ECU and no error codes on anything.

Here comes the funny part. 

When the ABS, BAS and Traction Control lights are on it drives perfectly, with no jerking. The moment those lights go off, it jerks. 

If i unplug the MAP sensor it drives perfectly.

Im siiting here ready to burn it to the ground because no mechanics have a clue here either.

Any Advice

Wow that’s weird. Almost going into limp mode but not really.  What is year and milage of car. The only common 2.4 engine issue with idle and power problems is the electronic throttle body. Normally a lightning bolt symbol is one of the symptoms and usually codes. Plastic gears inside get worn and start to stick. Hitachi makes the oem replacement.

How about cleaning up the grounds on both strut towers. Instead of a low voltage issue, could be a bad ground. This is a problem even dealerships would struggle with. Schematics and an ecm pin out diagram needed for trouble shooting,  Mitchell on line login.

Some people have had abs controller issues. They are on back order from dealers I think. Not a cheap part to throw at a problem like a map sensor. There was a recall for plug problem from water leaks.

Edited by John/Horace

The 2.7 motor has an EGR Valve. This unit can bind open from carbon buildup and cause similar symptoms and MAY NOT show a code. 

Most "modern auto techs" have not had to deal with such things as for some time now EGR valves have been replaced by other functions like variable valve timing and higher levels of engine computerization. BUT the 2.7 IS a "throwback" to older engines.

I would take a serious look into that area to try and help fix your situation.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the tips. Below is the solution i found.

Solution:

Front left wheel sensor was damaged and causing short.

Replaced it.

10K in repairs ( 10K as i stay here in South Africa and it is in Rands ) and all it was actually was a sensor that cost like $35.

I always advise people, take care of any warning light in your car, thus when a real problem comes you can troubleshoot it easier. The ABS probably set a code when the sensor failed, as mine did when the left side ABS sensor was intermittent, if you do not fix it and other problem show up later you do not know is one is related to the first or else and drive you crazy.

Edited by luzmina