TPMS FAILURE

JustDodge

On my 12 Journey Crew my “Service Tire System” has been on for quite a while. When I see my tire pressures, it shows blank for one of the wheels. Over the last year it has changed position to another tire reading as blank or “——“ still only one wheel not showing a reading but it’s no longer the same wheel, as I have filled my tires before after seeing the position switch. I realized it’s not just the sensor failing but one of the tires not having a reading and the car switching the no reading to different tires as putting air in my tires, the increase in pressure didn’t correspond to the tire I actually inflated.

What could possibly be the issue? I thought of replacing the sensor but if it’s constantly switching between tires that eliminates knowledge of what tire is faulty. Not a big issue but it is something I get tired of seeing. 

Let me know what you find out I have changed the TP Module above the left rear wheel it worked for a bit but has quit again.

I always get the same -- at the left rear wheel even if I move the wheels

My mechanic friend said it could be the TIPM

19 minutes ago, larryl said:

Let me know what you find out I have changed the TP Module above the left rear wheel it worked for a bit but has quit again.

I’ve been googling and searching. In my case, I’ve have the “ ——“ rotate to different tires. I guess is called “floating” from what I’ve seen one person say. I think I’m gonna have to manually relearn the system to reset/calibrate it. Because after seeing it “float” to different wheels, I think the sensors work but the computer itself isn’t registering all 4. Only 3 and those 3 readings will swap through tires occasionally. It was my front right wheel originally w no reading. Now it has a reading and switched to not showing my front driver wheel. I’ll still do further inspection to get as close of a solution possible 

29 minutes ago, larryl said:

The best I can say is try to manually relearn yours. If not, maybe the replace your tpms module itself because if it’s the same wheel after being replaced. The module may have some type of fault for it to not constantly and accurately read. 

Hwy! Our {the WIFES] Early '14 just started doing the same thing! Ran advanced codes and got these.....

C1501-96

C1510-09

C1581-00

C1580-00

C1502-96

Have not rotated tires and always the R.Front dropping out and coming back on, with EVIC message to service TPMS system and tire warning light.

My thought is the module, or wiring, waiting for decent weather to tug on the plastic fender liner.

On 2/15/2023 at 6:28 AM, 5rebel9 said:

Hwy! Our {the WIFES] Early '14 just started doing the same thing! Ran advanced codes and got these.....

C1501-96

C1510-09

C1581-00

C1580-00

C1502-96

Have not rotated tires and always the R.Front dropping out and coming back on, with EVIC message to service TPMS system and tire warning light.

My thought is the module, or wiring, waiting for decent weather to tug on the plastic fender liner.

Has it ever dropped out and came back to show another tire with a missing reading or is it the same tire going in and out?

Nope. ALWAYS the right front and quite a while since getting new tires. Sensor scanner for wheel sensors show all 4 working and reading well.

If you look up the codes, they are all system and front/rear/left and right position determining problems. ODD that the display still will accurately show correct tire pressures at each wheel position.

6 minutes ago, 5rebel9 said:

Nope. ALWAYS the right front and quite a while since getting new tires. Sensor scanner for wheel sensors show all 4 working and reading well.

If you look up the codes, they are all system and front/rear/left and right position determining problems. ODD that the display still will accurately show correct tire pressures at each wheel position.

Looks like I’ll have to get a more intuitive reader. Mine is just a basic engine code scanner. My blank read started at the RR wheel and that same blank reading has rotated to my FL wheel. About 3 months ago, surprisingly all the reading actually showed for the first time owning it. But it was a shortly lived moment. That kinda would go to say it’s either antennas or the module, huh? Also looking at a different post I seen about the issue I seen you replied on. 

Edited by JustDodge

• 2 months later...

any solutions to the tpms problem....my left rear is showing the three dots and says service, and was going to have discount tire replace all 4 since the journey is going on 9 yrs pld but after reading this post i decided to switch the right to the left and them  took it for a drive and also aired them both up  to almost 40 pi and expedited the bad 3 dot reading to jump to the other side but it didnt even after a 20 mile drive so makes me wonder if it is the tpm module in the left rear wheel well? i do have the max warranty with dodge so i could take it in to them which would be more expensive on replacing all 4 tpms but id its the module then would be cheaper than aftermarket service and parts... I am not in a big hurry as since its the psi info isn't the biggest worry i have just an aggravation .........................strange thing tho my abs module is on backorder thur the dodge dealership for around 6 months now ( internal fault is what they say) but every time ( three times so far) i have the wheels rotated or the journey lifted right after doing that my abs lights and traction control and brake lights have went off and the cruise would start working again for around 1 day then they all come back on....makes me wonder if lifting the journey or whatever is maybe uncovering a wire shorted out or whatever causing the abs to work again but then after a short time back down on the ground it shorts out again or makes the abs inop??????doesn't seem like if it was the abs module that is supposedly bad would be on again off again simply by lifting the frame and setting it back down again

Yes the module is located in the R Rear wheel arch, need to pull down the plastic liner for access. Our early '14 is coming on for R Front and then will return to normal operation intermittently. I think it is a poor plug in connection to the module. Plastic end may latch fine, but that does NOT mean good metal wire end contacts. Still waiting for steady WARM weather to bend the plastic wheel liner to get at it!  :gaah:

39 minutes ago, 5rebel9 said:

Yes the module is located in the R Rear wheel arch, need to pull down the plastic liner for access. Our early '14 is coming on for R Front and then will return to normal operation intermittently. I think it is a poor plug in connection to the module. Plastic end may latch fine, but that does NOT mean good metal wire end contacts. Still waiting for steady WARM weather to bend the plastic wheel liner to get at it!  :gaah:

CORRECTION !!! Module is in the LEFT REAR . I've been doing therapy exercises with my father {recovering from a stroke} and am mixing up Left/right by working in front of him for a year now. He's gaining function back slowly but quite nicely!

This is the main reason you have not seen me posting as often lately...I'm "whooped"!:shrug:

i was thinking of unhooking the connector and check it out but was watching a video on it and they mentioned you might have to relearn the module after doing that so not sure if i want to try unhooking it ...seems simple enough and not hard to get to tho...as ai said i have 3 of the tires reading okay just the one with the 3 dots inop but then i moved that tire to the other side and the bad reading still stayed in the same spot and it should have moved if it was the sensor so that makes me believe it might be the module gone bad

Had the same issue until I put my summer tires back on and now they all work???

I changed the wheels from front to back with my winter tires after the module change and it made no difference put the summer tires back on no issue..dumb

Edited by larryl

10 hours ago, larryl said:

Had the same issue until I put my summer tires back on and now they all work???

I changed the wheels from front to back with my winter tires after the module change and it made no difference put the summer tires back on no issue..dumb

Thanks for your update as to how yours is working out and glad to hear that the summer set of wheels {and sensors} work well. YOUR circumstances lead me to wonder that you have a funky sensor, but not sure of HOW you "relearned positions" with swapping tire positions. SOMETIMES it can take quite a while of driving at certain speeds to get them to read correctly.

I put the back to front and the same rear sensor indicator did not read .If it was the sensor it would have read differently and it did not change until I put the summers on so it had weeks to read the sensor.

update on my tpm,:::::::::,I went to the local discount tire shop and they checked with their scanner and all 4 tpms read good.so he then hooked up his other scanner and said what he was going to do was to force the tpms readings into the computer, and he tried 2 times but the dash tpm  info didnt change, so he thinks its a module problem,so he says no charge and i told them thank you Discount tire shops are great to do business with...i dont even get out of the parking lot and the tpm light goes away and everything is working again even the abs light and traction control light and brake light are off....i drive the 20 miles home and stop for gas shut the car off and then start back up to leave and the abs and other lights come back on but the tpm light is still off,and everything is still okay with the tpms readings   interesting on the tpm problem but i dont believe it is connected to the abs problem as that has been going on for over 6-7 months

2 hours ago, 2late4u said:

update on my tpm,:::::::::,I went to the local discount tire shop and they checked with their scanner and all 4 tpms read good.so he then hooked up his other scanner and said what he was going to do was to force the tpms readings into the computer, and he tried 2 times but the dash tpm  info didnt change, so he thinks its a module problem,so he says no charge and i told them thank you Discount tire shops are great to do business with...i dont even get out of the parking lot and the tpm light goes away and everything is working again even the abs light and traction control light and brake light are off....i drive the 20 miles home and stop for gas shut the car off and then start back up to leave and the abs and other lights come back on but the tpm light is still off,and everything is still okay with the tpms readings   interesting on the tpm problem but i dont believe it is connected to the abs problem as that has been going on for over 6-7 months

Glad to hear the TPMS situation seems resolved. I'm still going to check the module plug and the try out my 1 week old alfaOBD program and see what it can do with TPMS. Have not had a lot of time to "play" with it due to vehicle use/time/weather conditions!

Also wondering on your ABS concern that you MAY actually be having a wheel bearing TONE RING problem and not the module??? Lots of "techs" just go with code message and don't investigate FULLY.

Edited by 5rebel9

well the tpms worked great for a couple of days but the light came back on again and was a different position as well, weather is nice here and we really dont have no rust or corrosion build up on the journey like most northern states, thinking of buying a can of contact cleaner /electrical cleaner and unplug the tpms module and check/spray it out and then see if that helps. cant hurt it i  guess,will report back if it get it done this weekend

From Ram forums.

The only tire-related test available under the BCM in AlfaOBD is Program Tire Size.

However, there's a whole Tire Control function that you can select from the main menu, that offers the following procedures:

Program Left Front Tire Sensor ID
(same for RF)
(same for RR)
(same for RL)
Sensor Rolls Test
Activate TPM High GFain Mode
Reset VIN Values

3 hours ago, John/Horace said:

From Ram forums.

The only tire-related test available under the BCM in AlfaOBD is Program Tire Size.

However, there's a whole Tire Control function that you can select from the main menu, that offers the following procedures:

Program Left Front Tire Sensor ID
(same for RF)
(same for RR)
(same for RL)
Sensor Rolls Test
Activate TPM High GFain Mode
Reset VIN Values

well i dont have any scanners or alfaobd,,,was hoping the glitch will clear by itself, but no such luck guess ill just go with the black tape over the light till i have to put it in the dealership under something else for warranty

well my tpms giving me the service tpm light so went to Discount tire shop in Madison Al and they checked them and said yep 2 out of 4 were bad on my 2014 Dodge Journey so i had them replace all 4 of them and they come with a 6 yr/72 k warranty and since they do all my tire purchases i am back on the road and happy camper,since the wife is happy everyone is happy

• 4 weeks later...

OK, seems like FOREVER since I said I would get around to it BUT here is my current status with the '14's TPMS.

I did not rotate any tires and just replaced the module in the LR wheel arch.

Did a auto relearn drive and came up with the Left rear not reading. My original problem was the RF dropping out intermittently. 

Going to visit my friend who has a number of tire and high end scanners to check the LR sensor out. MAYBE it is going bad as I've not replaced any sensors since getting the car a year ago.

you can buy the tpms fairly cheap ( $29-39) if you have a way to break them down and install them and them use a scanner to get them to work Discount tire installed Schrader and gave me  a 6 yr/72 k warranty on them cost me almost $300, you can get them off amazon or rock auto for the best prices,,,since yours is a 2014 like mine just replace all 4 and get it over with

6 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

you can buy the tpms fairly cheap ( $29-39) if you have a way to break them down and install them and them use a scanner to get them to work Discount tire installed Schrader and gave me  a 6 yr/72 k warranty on them cost me almost $300, you can get them off amazon or rock auto for the best prices,,,since yours is a 2014 like mine just replace all 4 and get it over with

I would do all 4 and my friend gives me a real good price parts/labor, BUT too broke to do all of them just now until I get the '11 SOLD.     LOL

AND it will become my son's problem next month when he closes on house purchase and moves out of the family nest!

Edited by 5rebel9