A possible 3 DJ family?

5rebel9

1 hour ago, 5rebel9 said:

Well the '14 is still on my bad list. It just seems to want constant attention. Now the rear hatch won't open from the outside handle and it's 30* and windy out and no shelter to put it inside to work on!. So this car wants me to fix it and come down with pneumonia just before Christmas!!!

I will post up just what I find as the culprit, I suspect broken wire in the body to hatch rubber boot or the cable from handle to latch.

If things didn't go wrong, life would be just too boring to enjoy

Well, this car just has me always wondering as to "what next"! yesterday I had just driven the car and when I parked and got out all doors unlocked and should have unlocked the hatch....it didn't.

I just went out with the fob and tried the lock/unlock a few times and heard the hatch lock functioning and on unlock the hatch released. Did it a few times and all worked as normal, but I did notice that the hatch handle was a little "sticky". I'll go back out with some lubricating spray and lube up the handle pivots. Only been almost a year since I did that last. I don't know what happened, but as long as I can get the hatch open for now...I'm happy with that {till the next time}!

I never got to drive any of the 3 Journeys much before, only when my family would complain about something with them. I was wanting to drive this '14 instead of my Buick thru most of the Winter

The spring return in the latch handle gets really rusty. I have to constantly spray ours to keep handle free.  The hatch is not metal so it’s fine, no rust. Spring should have been galvanized or proper plating.  Car was professionally sprayed by a company,  Rust Check more than once. But they seem to miss some items.

My wife’s 2014 RT outside  button on the hatch won’t trigger unlock anymore. So either main passive entry or key fob has to unlock hatch. I also see a dance with the dreaded broken wire in rubber boot coming soon. Older 2012 Journey daughter in law has is still fine for hatch function.  But oil pan has a pin hole leak (even though repainted ). Older high milage cars are an ongoing battle in the rust belt. My garage not heated, but at least no wind.

Is that a Canadian model thing for outside hatch lock button? None of my 3 have that feature. 

AT LEAST YOU CAN BE OUT OF THE COLD WINDS!

Just got done with lubing up the handle AND also the latch pivot on the LATCH. i believe THE HANDLE WAS NOT IN THE FULLY RELEASED POSITION FROM THE "STICKINESS" AND THUS HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE FUNCTION OF THE LOCK SOLENOID YESTERDAY{sorry... caps lock activated and I'm to lazy to correct the type}

image.thumb.jpg.f4340b3e104d813e62c2a40aae2f59b5.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.1328d4cbda6ba1b1cfd7f1516eb9d6f4.jpgYou might get lucky if it was just the stuck  position affecting solenoid. Hatches are awkward to take apart I find.

The little black square camouflaged lock button is on the left side of hatch overhang Close to license plate lights. I think I found it a year after owning car. Pretty sure on all journeys have it. It’s like pressing chrome buttton on front doors, should unlock or lock car if fob is in pocket  I believe. 

Edited by John/Horace

OH MY GOODNESS! Thanks so much as to those pic's. YES the '14 has that AND it works! I never noticed that before and will definitely "check it out" on the other 2 ...when they come home to the "nest". My son has his '11 down in Pennsylvania as a temporary engineer for the railroad company he works for until 12/22. The '13 will be home later this afternoon.

One thing I did find is that the FOB needs to be with you, just like for the front doors. Hatch handle is working like brand new with the "lube job" from yesterday!

Edited by 5rebel9

UPDATE about the '11 Mainstreet......

My son came home for the weekend from temp posting of his job in Pa.

SO

Wife and I went over to his home to "visit" Sunday early afternoon and I took my tablet with Alphaobd and hood switch and new fob to try again and program for use AND remote start. Things did not go "smoothly", but I managed to finally program in the fob to the car, Unfortunately by the time I got that done the battery had discharged enough to not start the car and had to jump it off the '14 we had driven over in.By then it was getting well into the first quarter of the BILLS/ cowboys game so we decided to wait for another day to try for the remote start function. GO BILLS!!!!!

OLD TIMER that I am and finding that navigating a tablet is a bit different than my PC and keyboard did not help along with learning just where and how to find the pages of Alphaobd to work with this more base model and year Journey to do what I want had me rather stressed and disappointed. I'm not big into "computer/programming" type stuff and am much more comfortable with "hands on" mechanical things {as my wearing out body will allow}.

As I type this , my son is already on his way back to his train duties in Pa., a 2.5 hour drive.

3 minutes ago, larryl said:

Temporary Engineer as in Locomotive?

YES

He's a train engineer for a short line freight RR that has 2 hubs. His "home base" is in Olean,NY and is covering for vacation time Engineer in Meadville, Pa.

Meadville is a smaller operation. He says he likes the work hours better{day shift}/shorter there than the usual 12 hours thru late afternoon into the wee early morning hours of his "home base".Of course the pay is is better at his home base due to hours worked.

40 minutes ago, larryl said:

At least he's not being punished by the "Big Boys" I thought maybe Altoona or something glad he enjoys his work

No shortlines when I hired on LOL:cool:

Very well liked by executives and co workers as a matter of fact. Loved trains since a baby ! He has collections of toy and model trains that overflow his old bedroom. On his job interview he even corrected "bosses" about types of cars and terms!

We found out today that he is coming back home a day early {Thurs}, but has to work his normal shift Friday. He's going to be one tired puppy for the Christmas weekend! He's still waiting to find out if he has to do a run Christmas Day afternoon:gaah: !

My cousin worked for several different railroads over the years as they went Thru there consolidations and ended up being CSX, he started out a reg worker then got laid off and then called back as a mechanic trainee, and then laid off again then called back as a engineer trainee, and finally got enough time in to not be laid off, and then he went into salary there and ended up becoming the yard manager for CSX and they transferred him all over the country every few yrs and then he finally retired and man he is well off with a fancy home in florida and they just built a big home on a golf course in Tn

1 hour ago, larryl said:

Trains don't stop for holidays..these wheels must turn lol

Almost 36 yrs with CN I knew it well

Tell him to stay safe  and Merry Christmas to you and yours

And the same MERRY CHRISTMAS greetings back to you! yes he is in his third year with WNYPA, and they share track time on a lot of their runs with the railroad {freight} out of Buffalo around the "Southern Tier" of NY.

The company has had a substantial turnover in employees since he's been there. most didn't like the working hours. After what he got himself into buying a house, he's happy to work the long hours for now!

On 12/13/2023 at 12:25 PM, 5rebel9 said:

OH MY GOODNESS! Thanks so much as to those pic's. YES the '14 has that AND it works! I never noticed that before and will definitely "check it out" on the other 2 ...when they come home to the "nest". My son has his '11 down in Pennsylvania as a temporary engineer for the railroad company he works for until 12/22. The '13 will be home later this afternoon.

One thing I did find is that the FOB needs to be with you, just like for the front doors. Hatch handle is working like brand new with the "lube job" from yesterday!

So, yea indeed they all have the rear deck lock/unlock button. and they all work both ways on our 3. BUT much to a HOPE I had .... NO it will NOT unlock if fob is inside the front of the car, should someone inadvertently lock the fob in the car. Since I have 2 fobs for the '14, I tried it and found the disheartening result.     :{

• 2 weeks later...

Well time for a brief update on the '14

Since getting another torque converter, I've put almost 600 miles on the car.

Trans is working fine with NO odd noises and pulling a respectable for our area 22 mpg

The rear toe links and "rube goldberg" rear toe setting seems to have worked out well. We did get some significant snow after Thanksgiving and it handled so much better than previous seasons and tire wear is nonexistent so far{I know, only 600 miles}.

Now just to keep me putting it on the "bad list" one of the front fog lights burned out. The previous owner had installed BLUE colored bulbs, and try as I might I can not find similar bulbs. So I need to buy a PAIR of bulbs. Those bulbs are NOT CHEAP even for basic bulbs and not readily available at most of my area's parts stores or even Walmarts. I can almost buy complete units for the price of a pair of just bulbs!

I also want to "upgrade the low beams as with doing more "dark time" driving due to the time of year. without the fog lights the low beams are woefully inadequate for me. High beams seem very good. My son says the '11 seems the same and either wants fogs installed or low beam "upgrading" also' Wife is fine with the '13 with working fogs.

Oh yes, and there is still the need to replace the RF TPMS in that wheel!

We made it thru Christmas financially, but just got our annual County/town tax bill due by end of Jan, I guess I'd better leave things alone on these minor needs until the bank account recovers enough in FEBRUARY!

And hope that nothing else goes wrong with any of our vehicles till then !

Edited by 5rebel9

TAXES,, use to live in Michigan and property taxes up there are huge 2-4 k on a nice house and that was many many yrs ago,I would hate to see what they are now, taxes in Alabama are not bad mine would be around 600 but since I am over 65 we don't have to pay unless are income goes over the  limit they have set which so far we haven't hit that until we have to do the RMD on my 401 k., I hope everyone has a Happy and a Safe New Year

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I figured out something that helps low beam night driving.

On all the many cars I've had over the years{and there are MANY}, I had always had the dash illumination turned up pretty high. I tried turning dash lights down quite a lot on the '14 and '13 and WOW what a difference in being able to see the road on low beam setting without the fog lights also on!

My son, I found out has his dash lighting turned almost off on the '11 and says it helps him. BUT still would like better low beams or fogs installed. The '11 has the old long width lower grill,and fog housing trim panels are different than the other later year Journeys I have.

Also I finished up his "Christmas" present and got the aftermarket remote start fob activated and working with my alphaobd program today! He was VERY HAPPY and EXCITED to have that working, and says now it does not seem like just an old car anymore...it has a MODERN common feature now!    ....    LOL

• 2 weeks later...

It's an exciting prospect to potentially add a '13 AWD 2-row RT to your vehicle lineup. Balancing preferences and needs is key, considering features like the absence of a sunroof and backup camera. The decision to part with the '11 or the BUICK adds an extra layer. Keep communication open, weigh the pros and cons, and ensure the chosen vehicle aligns with everyone's satisfaction. Having three vehicles of the same make and model simultaneously is indeed a unique scenario. Stay tuned for how this deal unfolds, and may it result in another happy addition to your family fleet.

And I quote  … “Ensure the chosen vehicle aligns with everyone’s satisfaction.”  Although technically proper english, almost no one normally speaks like this.  But the ChatGPT or Chatbot what ever, is getting better.  Robo-Johan has almost the  same reputation rating as me. I wonder if I should even bother posting anymore. ?

And the chatbot apps unlike the rest of us…are getting paid, some how, hilarious. 

5 minutes ago, John/Horace said:

And I quote  … “Ensure the chosen vehicle aligns with everyone’s satisfaction.”  Although technically proper english, almost no one normally speaks like this.  But the ChatGPT or Chatbot what ever, is getting better.  Robo-Johan has almost the  same reputation rating as me. I wonder if I should even bother posting anymore. ?

And the chatbot apps unlike the rest of us…are getting paid, some how, hilarious. 

YUP, I agree with you ! AND it does not comprehend that it's been a "done deal" for 8 months and NOT just a possibility if it had scanned the whole thread of my posts here.

But I must also say that there's not much to be done about it, our moderator has asked for help and nobody has stepped up. I can barely do posts and beyond TYPING, I'm lost as to linking in photos or other info from the site to a posting....In other words I'm barely computer literate.

On a side note that we all be truthful, the '11 is now titled and insured in my son's name and resides at his home in the next town away from our home. So does this mean that I'm actually back to a 2 Journey family ? Yes I still "spearhead" the maint. work that it will require. IF he thinks something's wrong, he calls me. At least he has learned to check the oil and refill the washer tank!

• 3 weeks later...

2/7/24 UPDATE

All 3 Journeys are doing fine, but they all need a good wash from the mud and dust due to no snow to speak of and lack of good steady rain. Typical for farm country. 

The wife bought a new $50.00 Trac Phone thru Walmart last weekend, as her OLD trac phone could not even connect to her job's wireless system. She got it all transfered and even paired it to her '13RT and LO AND BEHOLD it connects up almost instantaneously now when she gets in the car with her new phone. All the car's functions with bluetooth and phone work perfectly. I had been thinking a module problem since getting the car last summer!

• 2 weeks later...

2/21/24

Well we hit 45*f today, but going back into the freezer for the weekend......

Just got done with giving the '13 and '14 another quick rinse and wash on the wheels/arches and body. Gosh did they need it with all the mud and dust on the roads we travel the most.

Have only had about 4" of snow in the last 3 weeks! Most of which fell last Saturday but wow the winds and C O L D ! we hit 7*f Monday morning! Cars are all doing fine yet.

3 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

2/21/24

Well we hit 45*f today, but going back into the freezer for the weekend......

Just got done with giving the '13 and '14 another quick rinse and wash on the wheels/arches and body. Gosh did they need it with all the mud and dust on the roads we travel the most.

Have only had about 4" of snow in the last 3 weeks! Most of which fell last Saturday but wow the winds and C O L D ! we hit 7*f Monday morning! Cars are all doing fine yet.

It's funny how during winter months 45°f feels so good by comparison. Unless your in Texas. Then they act like it's a blizzard lol. Had more the one person look at me like I had a horn growing from my forehead cause I was wearing shorts and t-shirt when it was mid 40s

1 hour ago, Locosiete said:

It's funny how during winter months 45°f feels so good by comparison. Unless your in Texas. Then they act like it's a blizzard lol. Had more the one person look at me like I had a horn growing from my forehead cause I was wearing shorts and t-shirt when it was mid 40s

Well...

I'm getting older now, so had my winter work coat on and LONG trousers! At least NO gloves, hat and boots! What a chore though to get out the 100' water hose to reach the cars in the driveway and not sink into the ground by washing them in the yard closer to the water faucet! The ground is pretty "mushy" as it is.

To be honest, I long to return to coastal North Carolina for the weather there! Been wanting that since 1983 ! This year has been an easy snow season here, but the winds and COLD temps have not changed any. I really miss the New Bern and MCAS Cherry Point area I served there for 4 years. Wife says NO due to hurricanes and venomous snakes that are prevalent in that area. BUT loves to vacation there {when we can get time and money}