2012 Journey Auto/Dual No Pass. Heat

JustDodge

12 Journey Crew here. Within the last week, randomly. The heat on the passenger side has ‘stopped’. I’ve been on top of keeping coolant and everything in here. I can have the heat on hi and would only get heat from my two front driver vents. Not even the rear under floor vents or front defrost vents blow heat. I think the most they’ve gotten was warm. I stay In Michigan and… well the weather is shit. I did take it to a shop because I’m not familiar with the whole inner workings of the heat but of course they want $100 just to look at the car. Not fix the issue. So if anyone has any suggestions or what I should inspect, maybe how lol. Please do. Begging 

I don't mean to sound "crass" or insincere, but with the temp problem and being auto temp you really need to spend the money for a complete scan of all computer systems. could be any number of electrical issues from cabin temp sensor to actuators to control modules. Then there is the possibility of a front heater core plugging up as our '11 standard left/right/ rear did with needing a new heater core for the front. 

Is it the orange coolant or has it been switched to green.  The two are not compatible, mixing can form gel in the system if proper flushes not done before switching. Google it. Some core failures may be related to that. 

Edited by John/Horace

On 11/19/2022 at 7:18 AM, 5rebel9 said:

I don't mean to sound "crass" or insincere, but with the temp problem and being auto temp you really need to spend the money for a complete scan of all computer systems. could be any number of electrical issues from cabin temp sensor to actuators to control modules. Then there is the possibility of a front heater core plugging up as our '11 standard left/right/ rear did with needing a new heater core for the front. 

I have a scanner myself. 0 codes or anything. I YouTube on how to get to the actuators and cores to see if anything regards to those are wrong. 

21 hours ago, John/Horace said:

Is it the orange coolant or has it been switched to green.  The two are not compatible, mixing can form gel in the system if proper flushes not done before switching. Google it. Some core failures may be related to that. 

I have changed the coolant but I’ve been using the same coolant for months now. How would the coolant just now affect the heat, specifically on one side of the vehicle? There hasn’t been no signs of anything being clogged. The way i constantly have to fill the coolant I now it’s not a backup. 

53 minutes ago, JustDodge said:

I have changed the coolant but I’ve been using the same coolant for months now. How would the coolant just now affect the heat, specifically on one side of the vehicle? There hasn’t been no signs of anything being clogged. The way i constantly have to fill the coolant I now it’s not a backup. 

WHY do you now post of constantly having to fill the coolant? These motors are known for air entrapment in the cooling system and an air pocket getting trapped in the heater core will cause loss of heat. Maybe you could give a bit more info as to just what has been going on before you noticed the heat loss.

Edited by 5rebel9

57 minutes ago, JustDodge said:

I have a scanner myself. 0 codes or anything. I YouTube on how to get to the actuators and cores to see if anything regards to those are wrong. 

What kind of scanner? OBD11 reader not good enough, you need one that can read BODY Control Modules for this "check". and there are lots of you tubes about the heater core and how to do actuators. Do you hear a clicking noise from dash when you try and adjust settings? A sure sign of a failed actuator. BUT I have also come across one so badly failed that it did NOT click as gears and supporting shafts for them were so far busted that it didn't "click".

7 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

WHY do you now post of constantly having to fill the coolant? These motors are known for air entrapment in the cooling system and an air pocket getting trapped in the heater core will cause loss of heat. Maybe you could give a bit more info as to just what has been going on before you noticed the heat loss.

It’s been heaving loosing coolant due to needing a sensor replaced in regards to the car accurately reading the engine temp, so the car constantly signals the fan on and uses coolant. Therefore, I didn’t think the loss of coolant would’ve played a major role in the cabin heating since it’s been an ongoing issue. Outside of that, I only hear a clicking noise when I turn on my driver heated seat. 

12 minutes ago, JustDodge said:

It’s been heaving loosing coolant due to needing a sensor replaced in regards to the car accurately reading the engine temp, so the car constantly signals the fan on and uses coolant. Therefore, I didn’t think the loss of coolant would’ve played a major role in the cabin heating since it’s been an ongoing issue. Outside of that, I only hear a clicking noise when I turn on my driver heated seat. 

Low coolant levels will mean AIR is in the cooling system AND AIR around the sensor for temp will make sensor misread for accuracy. But it sounds as if you have your own conclusions , so let us know what you do to remedy your problem.

Good Luck to you 

Edited by 5rebel9

On 11/20/2022 at 6:09 PM, 5rebel9 said:

Low coolant levels will mean AIR is in the cooling system AND AIR around the sensor for temp will make sensor misread for accuracy. But it sounds as if you have your own conclusions , so let us know what you do to remedy your problem.

Good Luck to you 

Update to this thread… the actuator does ‘work’ as to move when the passenger temp is changed but still no heat to passenger side. Today, I drove the car and for the first time since this issue started, there is a leak. I followed the leak from the ground up to the car and literally above was the coolant reservoir. Still can’t figure out where the leak is at specifically. But levels still aren’t low to where air is getting in… at least not from the reservoir itself. 

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Christysycle said:

Hi Netmask,

That price is pretty amazing. An apparently full media player and dual tuner PVR at under 170.

Are you looking at getting rid of your C-200? Can I have it?

Regards,
Ian.

Who is netmask and what are you talking about?