Radio and heater controls don't work

Reilywalker97

Hello guys, I have a 2011 Dodge Journey Mainstreet AWD. Several months ago I loaded my car out to a roommate who had to work nights and on his way home the car went into limp mode and died. We flat towed it home and my boyfriend got to work trying to figure out what was going on. Initially we thought it was the battery or the battery temperature sensor again so we replaced both then realized it was the alternator. I didn't have the money right off the bat and after the laundry list of problems the car has given me we let it sit for a while. Approximately four months. Finally we replaced the alternator only to find that the touch screen for the radio as well as the climate controls did not work anymore, lights don't even come on. The dash cluster and buttons on the steering wheel do though. Then we realized one headlight, one high beam, one break light and two of my four blinkers also don't work. We checked fuses and all are fine. One mechanic said we need to flash the computer stating that due to it being DOA for a while it confused the computer and it was stuck essentially in limp mode. Another mechanic said he could flash it but that it could potentially be an issue of a power surge having fried the system. I don't want to waste more money. I've already paid 11k for the car alone not including everything that has been fixed on it. We've gone to YouTube and other forums and tried all the magic tricks with buttons and checked the fuse behind the radio itself. Nothing is working. Please help.

PXL_20220920_011554695.jpg

Edited by Reilywalker97
Added pic of radio and climate controls

To get the vehicle "on the road to recovery" with the least time and aggravation and wasted money on parts that don't fix the issues.......Time to go to a proper shop or DEALER for a thorough computer scan of ALL computer systems and go from there.  

Edited by 5rebel9

you could try to do the hard reset to see if that would change anything if you havent already tried that,sounds like you guys are just been  unloading the parts cannon on this without having it checked out properly..What was the problem and codes from going into limp mode? I dont believe a bad alt wouldn't put it into limp mode, after sitting so long was the battery properly checked to see if it was still good? after rereading your post is it just the electronics acting crazy? will it start up and run?   also which engine does it have?

Edited by 2late4u

It's been to a mechanic after the alternator was replaced and it had the problems with the radio and heater controls, he said the computer needs flashed by a dodge dealership and that it was confused after sitting so long. When I set up an appointment with dodge and told them what the mechanic said the dodge mechanic's response was well it could be that or it could be that a power surge "fried some things". Said we could start with flashing the computer and if it's not that then it's "fried some things" but didn't specify as to what so I couldn't tell you guys. It runs and drives just fine, battery is fine. Alternator is now fine, we tested it before we replaced it and it was bad which is why we replaced it. But now it runs and drives just has these issues with the stereo and climate controls where they just won't turn on. We've looked at every tip and trick to reset the radio. It has no check engine light on and from what my roommate said it went into limp mode before it completely died and it's never come back out. So it didn't go into limp mode after. Mechanic said that because it went into limp mode and then sat till we could afford to replace the alternator that it confused the system or something and that's why it's stuck like this. 

I do want to add that the car is still blowing hot air so the system works I just can't control it. The radio also works but only way we can control that is with the toggles on the back of the steering wheel since that entire control panel is not working. We also checked all the fuses and none of them were blown. 

You even checked the fuses that are located in the INTERIOR FUSE PANEL located between the glove box and kick panel on the passengers side?

YES there is a possibility that the heat/ventilation module and the radio module(that one also has the CD player in it) could have been electrically "fried" being we don't know exactly what happened to the car initially. These are also BODY CONTROL MODULE (interior functions) computer, and hooked up by small gage wiring to these parts. They can easily be "fried".

Yep, checked the fuses under the dash too along with the ones in the engine compartment. All I know is when he was driving it the radio cut out and the screen went off, headlights dimmed and then the car shut off and wouldn't start back up. After we changed the alternator the car came back on, runs fine, heater is stuck on since I can't control it and the radio plays music but same as the heater I cannot control it. We don't know at this point what is wrong. The mechanic that looked at it pulled the stereo off and checked all the wires and plugs there and said everything looked fine as well. 

• 4 months later...
On 9/19/2022 at 9:15 PM, Reilywalker97 said:

Hello guys, I have a 2011 Dodge Journey Mainstreet AWD. Several months ago I loaded my car out to a roommate who had to work nights and on his way home the car went into limp mode and died. We flat towed it home and my boyfriend got to work trying to figure out what was going on. Initially we thought it was the battery or the battery temperature sensor again so we replaced both then realized it was the alternator. I didn't have the money right off the bat and after the laundry list of problems the car has given me we let it sit for a while. Approximately four months. Finally we replaced the alternator only to find that the touch screen for the radio as well as the climate controls did not work anymore, lights don't even come on. The dash cluster and buttons on the steering wheel do though. Then we realized one headlight, one high beam, one break light and two of my four blinkers also don't work. We checked fuses and all are fine. One mechanic said we need to flash the computer stating that due to it being DOA for a while it confused the computer and it was stuck essentially in limp mode. Another mechanic said he could flash it but that it could potentially be an issue of a power surge having fried the system. I don't want to waste more money. I've already paid 11k for the car alone not including everything that has been fixed on it. We've gone to YouTube and other forums and tried all the magic tricks with buttons and checked the fuse behind the radio itself. Nothing is working. Please help.

PXL_20220920_011554695.jpg

Okay so i have a question. What did you do to fix it, if you ever got it fixed lol. I am dealing with the same issues and i have no idea what to do. I just got my car out of the shop for the transmission. Before it went it everything was working fine. When i got it back the radio and heat controls wont work. Like when i turn my car on the heat comes on but i cant turn it off or nothing. I cant use any of the controls for the heat. And same with the radio it will work with the buttons on the steering will  but the touchscreen wont work for me!! If you have any tips please lmk girl!