Clunk between gears (2-3)

agm2112

My journey sometimes "clunks" when changing from second to third gear, normally when not pressing the gas too much.  I have replaced the transmission fluid (twice - Valvoline ATF+4), added some Lubegard, but nothing helped. It has 150.000km (~94k miles). It is not getting worse (or i´m just getting used to it). Can it just be some sludge on the valve body that worth's manual cleaning ?

I can reproduce it:  hit the gas slightly (5-10%), first, second ... when it would change to third, I release the gas, wait two seconds .... CLUNK !

Thanks.

1 hour ago, agm2112 said:

My journey sometimes "clunks" when changing from second to third gear, normally when not pressing the gas too much.  I have replaced the transmission fluid (twice - Valvoline ATF+4), added some Lubegard, but nothing helped. It has 150.000km (~94k miles). It is not getting worse (or i´m just getting used to it). Can it just be some sludge on the valve body that worth's manual cleaning ?

I can reproduce it:  hit the gas slightly (5-10%), first, second ... when it would change to third, I release the gas, wait two seconds .... CLUNK !

Thanks.

Personally, I would start with a very good inspection of the motor/trans mounts. Not knowing your vehicles particulars without going back into your posting history, the front and rear motor mounts take a lot of abuse from engine rock on and off the gas and during shifting. They are also known to be on the "weak" side for longevity. and can cause a clunk sound when worn.

14 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

Personally, I would start with a very good inspection of the motor/trans mounts. Not knowing your vehicles particulars without going back into your posting history, the front and rear motor mounts take a lot of abuse from engine rock on and off the gas and during shifting. They are also known to be on the "weak" side for longevity. and can cause a clunk sound when worn.

My front mount is still original, but is perfect. The rear one is a little abused, but still there. I can feel the exact moment that the clunk will happen, normally on parking lots or heavy traffic, on 2nd gear. With cold transmission is even worse. And it does not happen every day.

13 hours ago, 14WhiteRTRallye said:

Mine does it too. 3.6 awd. Usually happens driving through the parking lot at work. Doesn't happen every time though. Sometimes I will put it in manual 2nd to avoid the annoying and embarrassing clunk. It really only needs 2nd at the speed it clunks into 3rd.

So ... we have exactly the same problem ! Cheers !:yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
14 hours ago, Vanius said:

Hi amg2112, my 2015 RT have the exacly same issue. Did you fix it ? I am about to make a transmission Overhaul. 

A transmisison overhaul here in Brazil has an absurd price, so I´m probably doing it myself by cleaning and checking the valvebody first. Actually the clunk is very rare now, maybe because of the two fluid changes I did. I´m very confident that this is caused by sludge somewhere inside. In my case is still not the time to dismantle the transmission.