2010 2.4l intake manifold

mojo

I am seeking help and clarification from journey users.

I removed my intake manifold to replace the gasket and found that my intake manifold does not have those runners or baffles I don't know what they are called. Problem is when I search any where for a replacement it only shows an intake manifold with runners and nothing without them. 

Is it common to have two different intakes for the same model and engine?

sorry forgot to include some information:

its a 2010 2.4l dodge journey. base model.

I know they 2009-2010 are one group and anything else 2011 and later are another. but when I search at Mopar or rockauto it displys intake manifolds that are different than what I have. 

This MOPAR part number (Intake Manifold - Mopar (04884495AK)) keeps showing every time I search for a replacement. basically don't have a Flow Control Valve Actuator. is that standard? did the previous owner (8 years ago did something ).

thanks

f60d6c6f9a84d24bdad117d940da93e2.JPG

I wen to my car again just  to check, the mounts for the Flow Control Valve is there but no wire and plug  and no valve. 

I replaced the Gasket recently and there is a hessing sound and a P0301 code. I suspect a problem with the  gasket or the manifold is warped.

Thanks.

What is build date, might be on the driver door sticker.  Dealer running your vin might be able to tell you which  part your car should have in it. Part needs to match what the ecm controls are programmed for or car will never run correctly. 

13 hours ago, John/Horace said:

What is build date, might be on the driver door sticker.  Dealer running your vin might be able to tell you which  part your car should have in it. Part needs to match what the ecm controls are programmed for or car will never run correctly. 

Totally agree but this intake was in the car since January 2013 the date I bought it until now. 

I might visit the dealership and check with them.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2022-08-02 at 7:21 AM, John/Horace said:

What’s the back story. Why is manifold being replaced, what were the codes that made you want to change gasket.

The map sensor is sometimes a problem on the 2.4 engine, it will set an engine code.

There was no code.  I did a bunch of maintenance steps starting with pcv valve, spark plugs and ignition coils. Suddenly I had a 301 cylinder 1 misfire. Replaced that fuel injector and had multiple misfires. Replaced the whole set of fuel injectors. Problem was resolved temporarily and came back again.

The valve cover gasket was leaking and I replaced it. Then replaced the intake manifold gasket, it was bad, leaking and soaked in oil.

Problem resolved for more than a week.

During the last repair I discovered the transmission cooler lines were leaking badly, the whole area was soaked. I thought the bad shifting and car struggling to move was related to the miss firing. 

Replaced them and changed the transmission filter. The car from transmission point of view is better but still  misfiring in one cylinder.

Back to your question, I thought the weird intake manifold was the wrong one but searching with VIN number revealed two options for the same model and engine with and without the baffles.

anyhow, still struggling with the p301,  its intermittent resolved temporarily by turning the car off and on again. From time to time it gives a 335 and 336 error and clears itself the next day. It stalls, shuts off very rarely and stopped after changing everything but I could feel when slowing down at a traffic light that it wants to shut off but resist. If I drove above 80km the car will shut off cylinder one. Just parking and restating the engine clears everything.

So was it an intake manifold, absolutely not. But the gasket was in need of an immediate replacement. 

WOW, what a back story! With all the vacuum and oil leaks, it's a wonder it ran at all. That much oil going thru the intake manifold has got to have caused carbon build up in the intake valves which can cause a misfire by soaking up injected fuel so nothing to fire on. Sounds like a good fuel additive like SEAFOAM and some steady running MAY help "clear " things up for smooth running on all 4 cylinders.

Pull the plug on cylinder one. Inspect plug for condition of electrode, I have seen platinum point fall of a few months old plug before. (It was a Ford Motorcraft double platinum plug, very expensive) . I would change this plug no matter what it looks like.

You changed  them a  year ago you said.

Oem spec is copper core cheaper plug. Copper is best conductor there is, but wears much more rapidly. On the four banger they are so easy to get at, can’t really argue with using $3 copper plug. You might just have a bad plug. Injection and intake cleaners are always helpful maint items. 

Side note mojo, I lived in BC for three years as a kid, beautiful place. 

Edited by John/Horace