Reluctantly buying a Journey

HeavyHaulSabre

Hello everyone!  New guy here, going tomorrow to pick up our new-to-us 2015 Dodge Journey Crossroad.  Our beloved 2008 Buick Enclave gave up the ghost over the weekend, and we needed a quick replacement with seating for at least 6.  When the Durango Citadel we were trying to buy got snatched out from under us, this Journey was the next best option.  It's got 80k miles, over 100,000 miles LESS than the Enclave it's replacing, so I'm hoping for a nice long life out of it.  I'll post a few pics if I can tomorrow when we get her home.  I'm hoping we love the Journey like we loved the Enclave.  My only concern is that it feels and sounds like a small vehicle on the road.  The old Buick was so smoooooth and dead quiet on the road.  I guess as long as the Old Lady is happy, I'm happy!

so which eng? check the records on the maintenance that has been done on it? if 3.6 eng won't be long for the plugs and transmission service along with the coolant service as well and these services are not cheap, 2.4 eng plugs are very easy and cheap to change...journey probally won't ride as well but i have  had a 2011 which i traded in on with 70 k for my 2014 crossroad  122 k on it  now , both had the 3.6 eng  i really love my journey

It's got the 3.6. It was bought new at this dealership and maintained there it's whole life. 20+ years ago I was a GM tech, and I've had GM cars and trucks my whole life because I could do anything to them. Now I'm at the point where I don't want to work on my own vehicles anymore and I believe Chrysler's quality has surpassed that of GM, so I'm willing to try moving to the dark side. 

Thanks for the welcome!

The Dodge Journey is a good car that gets a lot of flak.

Pros:
Cheap,

old-ish school tech and maintnence,

quiet,

great seats,

and wonderfull highway cruiser.

3.6v6 brings 280hp to the playing field (really good number in this day and age of turbo 4-bangers bringing in 240+). This engine is rock solid, and still used in EVERY FCA.Stellantis product (excluding a few dumb outliers)

Cons:

the 'Internet' and 'car people' hate it, and it has a bad reputation for being old and uninspired. It's an 14 year old exterior style, and a 11 year old interior style.
the 'internet' and 'car people'  (rightfully) hate it because it is the only car still sold NEW with a 4sp auto trans (only on the 4cyl model).

Electrical gremlins are annoying, but are usually solved by changing the battery.

Cons that are also Pros:
'Internet and car people' think it drives like a minivan. - that's the point- it's smooth, it wallows, it cruises on the highway amazing, seats 7, gets goodish fuel economy. Not everyone wants a 'tiny' import crossover that drives like a Subaru BRZ lifted.... some people want the solf wallowy minivan drive where you can comfortably cruise at 85mph with only minor corrections on the tiller to keep in the lane. Body-roll? That's part of the experience.

This is one of the reasons my wife's Journey replacement was a Buick, because Buick seems to have the closest to a relaxed, quiet ride, not-a-sportscar feel that makes the journey a comfy car to drive. { jeep? too bouncy. Hyundai? too cheap+tiny. Toyota? too stiff and tight. ]

Edited by NavalLacrosse

@HeavyHaulSabre welcome (to the dark side apparently)... I've been pretty happy in there myself. If it's been maintained, you should be happy. I'm still really happy with mine - 6 years now. It does what it's supposed to and it does it well. Mine served it's time hauling around the six of us, and now that I'm mostly solo in mine, I enjoy zipping around in it. 

Congrats and enjoy. 

Thanks for the welcome everyone!  We've had it a week now and are missing the Enclave less and less every day.  It's definitely more fun to drive than the old Buick, and we all fit in it, so it's really everything we could hope for.  I've already got the SRT page in the radio with some help from @Miguel Pereira and looking into other useful things the AlfaOBD app can do.  I love having the 6 gauges on the radio.

On 3/2/2022 at 8:09 PM, HeavyHaulSabre said:

Thanks for the welcome everyone!  We've had it a week now and are missing the Enclave less and less every day.  It's definitely more fun to drive than the old Buick, and we all fit in it, so it's really everything we could hope for.  I've already got the SRT page in the radio with some help from @Miguel Pereira and looking into other useful things the AlfaOBD app can do.  I love having the 6 gauges on the radio.

What is this SRT radio thing you are talking about please??