Inverted reverse camera

Betty Wyant

After visiting the dealership for a routine oil change my backup camera is upside down ?. They claim they didn't cause it but how do I fix it ?. It is a 2019 Journey and the camera is by the high third brake light and the image is in the rear view mirror ?. Any suggestions ?.

Unfortunately the mileage I have accumulated is past the warranty. They said they would "scan" the car for $175.00 ?. Even though the camera was fine when I took to them. They still claimed they didn't cause it because they wasn't at the back of the car, except one person unscrewed the antenna and then put it back on ?. I'm afraid to mess with the camera itself because I have no idea what I'm doing !. The manual isn't help either.

the camera is by the high third brake light and the image is in the rear view mirror ?. Any suggestions ?. so i assume by this comment t is NOT an OEM system that has been installed on your journey? my oem back up camera on my journey would occasionally do the invert but would always revert back to normal after a few seconds and sometimes just wouldn't work when it finally quit they said it was thew camera and lens in the rear hatch that went bad.... good luck on what you find out

also  who removed the antenna and then reattached it?  if it was just a oil change?

•  
Edited by 2late4u

I know my dealer would remove the antenna when they washed it.

anyway, I thought the camera being in the review was not OEM, but was not sure if they changed it for 2019.  I thought cars had to come with a backup camera after 2017 or there about s.  Sounds like the review camera is aftermarket, question now is who put it in?

I don’t think dealer can really be blamed, most likely unfortunate coincidence. Electronics can fail at almost any time.

Try unhooking battery or camera fuses and see if camera reboots.

There are times when a repair involves leaning all over parts of car, or disturbing adjacent parts doing a repair. 
Like radiator and a/c condenser when one one of them is changed out. Or partial repairs to exhaust system’s. Stuff gets brittle with age and sometimes it’s unavoidable to  have collateral damage. Mechanics will sometimes stay away from some repairs on older high mileage cars for this reason. 

According to FCA, the factory location for the backup camera on a 2019 is by the license plate with the display in the radio screen (was like that on my 09 as well).  What you have is an aftermarket system,likely added by the dealer before you bought it. I’d go to wherever you bought your car and ask them about it.  It is not a factory system.

In agreement with OhareFred on this one.....my 2011 didnt have the OEM rear cam from the factory, i i checked with several dealership and they said it couldn't add the oem BUT they could add one that the rear view mirror would show the image instead of my 8.4 in dash screen, but it wasnt an oem, i waited another year and then the oem became available so then i had it installed

• Official Dodge Support
On 9/18/2021 at 10:30 PM, Betty Wyant said:

After visiting the dealership for a routine oil change my backup camera is upside down ?. They claim they didn't cause it but how do I fix it ?. It is a 2019 Journey and the camera is by the high third brake light and the image is in the rear view mirror ?. Any suggestions ?.

Hi Betty,
Sorry to hear of the trouble you’re experiencing. If you decide to address this concern with your certified Dodge dealer again, please feel free to send us a private message. We would be happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Rob
Dodge Cares

On September 21, 2021 at 8:24 AM, DodgeCares said:

Sorry to hear of the trouble you’re experiencing. If you decide to address this concern with your certified Dodge dealer again, please feel free to send us a private message. We would be happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

I find it a very strange coincidence that the camera would go hey wire at the same time I took it in for a routine service ?. And if the camera was an add on, they should have told that.  I have at service done at this dealership (where I bought the car new) and never had a problem. And I did'nt have the car washed, so why unscrew the antenna ?. I still say they done something to cause it and it is aggravating to say the least that now I'm on the hook for it. 

• 1 year later...