Apple CarPlay suggestions

I am a new owner to a 2016 Dodge Journey R/T. I have been doing a fair amount of research on how to achieve some level of Apple CarPlay without needing to take out a second mortgage. 

I have heard about modules that can be used with your factory system, this would be preferable to keep all the original controls over the various features i have like heated steering and seats. 

I am seeking the opinion and suggestion of others here on what would be the lowest cost option of adding Apple CarPlay to my Journey. I am not picky on if it has to be wired or wireless, or controlled through an aftermarket module or something like that. Even if i had to replace the head unit to the 8.4AN but if there’s assurances i would not loose any current functionality of my vehicle. 

I have the Uconnect 8.4n with Garmin CTP16 nav, which right now is not showing streets except for major highways (interstates). The cost to keep the maps updated would be better spent to use Waze or another nav software through CarPlay. 

thank you all in advance and i am loving this Journey already and it’s only been a few hours with it

What features of Apple  Car-Play do you require that 6.4 w/o navi doesn't already have?

The dumb moment: Let me just get this out there: Why not get a good phone mount and get a Tablet or use your phone to supplement the existing 4.2 or 8.4 display. This will cost near zero if you already own the phone mount and phone, and will provide greater function that Android Auto as you can use your phone in its entirety without the gimmicky safety limitations of Android Auto not letting you text and stuff... I mean, will android auto let you watch netflix while you drive? Probably not (as its a stupid and dangerous idea) but a phone in a phone mount can! I don't know if android still has this feature, but my old HTC Evo had a car mode which gave only 6 icons. (kind of a precursor to Android auto)

I know that's not the point of you asking, hearing someone tell you the obvious. So- Let's dive right into what you want to hear!

---------

What I suggest investigating is to somehow splice into the reverse camera wiring and run an aftermarket Android Auto module. there would be no touchscreen compatibility from the 8.4, but you could do screen mirroring, and splice in your audio from the aux jack using a 3.5mm y-splitter.

I think, (and this is pure speculation) that all you'd need to do to spoof this is have a dedicated switch on the side of the console, when flipped on it would sent 12v to the reverse signal wire (which triggers the screen to change over the reverse camera composite video input. As there is no power to the reverse camera, there would be no video signal. (if the signal wire goes generate a video signal from the rear camera, then use the same (or separate switch) to toggle a composite switch box-
So- when this switch is toggled, have the aftermarket Android Auto unit send video signal through the reverse camera signal wires, either through y-splice or via the aforementioned composite switching box.

This is based on some research i did when I wanted to add 4.2 navigation+rearview upgrades which would toggle on-off in a funny annolog fashion whenever the 'screen off button' was pressed. I understood they were basically switching a single push button with a 4-way cycle switch which cycled between 1. screen normal 2. screen off (it just streamed a video of a black image) 3. Video feed from Garmin's screen 4. video feed from reverse camera.

If there exists an android auto auto autoauto module that just sends out video signal, then you'd be able to somehow send it through the reverse camera line. You might get 'check surroundings for saftey' overlay but- hey. almost there!

____

Lastly, I just wanted to mention that on the Chevy VOLT (my other car) there was a crazy guy who went all in on upgrading the touchscreen to android auto. It ended up using a raspberry-pi and way too much programming to get the touch screen to work mostly seamlessly.

Good luck on your pursuit.

And one more thing, there seems to be more information on this on the Challenger/charger forums. you might find some info on the Durango forums too. 
Although this thread goes nowhere, allegedly someone got it to work. Maybe the Charger and dodger are similar and this process  will work?
https://www.chargerforumz.com/threads/install-uconnect-from-2017-into-2015.182586/page-2

Personally, This is a rabbit hole I'd not go down.

Edited by NavalLacrosse

Ontario has some very strict laws on Handsfree devices and even the notion of reaching to touch an iphone that is mounted, while technically is legal to do, still has caused some to be pulled over and ticketed anyway under the Drive, Hand-Held Device rule here. Being a CMV driver, I'd rather not take the risk at all and stick to touching a screen if need be that is a part of my vehicle. I'll take a look there and see. Thank you for the information and ideas

Edited by tdottrucker

Try here:

https://www.navtool.com/jeep-cherokee-2014-2018-smartphone-mirroring-category.aspx

I am looking to add CarPlay to my Cherokee. Looked at NUMEROUS sites, this one seems the easiest and least intrusive for the Jeep.  Just waiting for them to get more in..  Not even sure they support the DJ, but it’s worth a look.

I saw this as well. Mind you, between the various reviews you will find on Google of them, and the complaints on the BBB, I would be very careful. I would only trust it if someone came back stating they installed it and it works great. But based on the reviews I have seen so far, it has been nothing but trouble for others. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Navtool+Reviews&sxsrf=ALeKk000r95-0-Pw8Kr9GWEcdUQ6iiCxPw%3A1619044734270&source=hp&ei=fqmAYOr4DZm7tAbUwoTwDw&iflsig=AINFCbYAAAAAYIC3jvP4RGKw06Ro28l7E53X6jfaOa-G&oq=Navtool+Reviews&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyAggAOgQIIxAnOgUIABCRAjoLCC4QxwEQrwEQkQI6CAguELEDEIMBOggIABCxAxCDAToFCAAQsQM6CwguELEDEMcBEKMCOgUILhCxAzoICC4QxwEQrwE6BggAEBYQHlCPBlihF2CTGGgAcAB4AIABZYgB6AmSAQQxMy4ymAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwjqr4nSs5DwAhWZHc0KHVQhAf4Q4dUDCAk&uact=5

In my 09 DJ I pulled out the factory system (UConnect would not work with our new iPhones) and installed a Kenwood unit.  Works like a charm.  Wireless CarPlay, better sound, better unit. Lost nothing as far as wheel controls, etc.  never had HVAC,etc on factory unit.  I went through Crutchfield....

Hello:

Ontario driver here too:

For Apple CarPlay/Android interface, to my best knowledge, there is only one, although sold by two different companies. It comes down to a matter of price.

Here's a video of it already installed and working. 

It can be purchased on Ali Express or Italy on this dealer

I'll buy it before summer as other members on Facebook Groups also purchased and I liked the videos as well.

• 6 months later...
On 4/23/2021 at 3:31 PM, Miguel Pereira said:

Hello:

Ontario driver here too:

For Apple CarPlay/Android interface, to my best knowledge, there is only one, although sold by two different companies. It comes down to a matter of price.

Here's a video of it already installed and working. 

It can be purchased on Ali Express or Italy on this dealer

I'll buy it before summer as other members on Facebook Groups also purchased and I liked the videos as well.

Did you purchase it? Any reports? I would love to get Apple CarPlay into my 2014 DJ with 8.4N

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 10:52 PM, JAR414 said:

Did you purchase it? Any reports? I would love to get Apple CarPlay into my 2014 DJ with 8.4N

Hey there!

Actually I did purchase this week! It's already in Ontario and ready for delivery.

I'll be installing it next week with a lot of pictures to be taken.

I'll post the results and up's and downs from this solution! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello:

A lot of updates! I'll keep posting as get more experience...

1. Unit arrived.
  2. Is a newer generation that allows wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay.
  3. Installation was pretty straight forward, although I had and should investigate the microphone setup. I'll explain further down.
  4. Connection to backup camera is already done through the cable - there's more options for extra cameras or after market. 
  5. All you need is to press the back button to change between Uconnect and the Interface.
  6. It DOESN"T need any mod to the screen. you just plug the screen "LVDS" to the cable supplied.

1 Interface.jpeg

2 Cables.jpeg

3 T Cable.jpg

4 To Interface.jpg

5 to OEM micophone.jpg

6 External video sources.jpg

7 Cover to OEM Mic Cable.jpg

8 OEM Mic connector.jpg

9 Left Trim Out.jpg

10 Right Trim Out.jpg

11 2 Screws and climate out.jpg

12 Climate cable out.jpg

13 Remove 5 screws for stereo.jpg

14 Four plugs out.jpg

15 T Harness in.jpg

16 Screen removed.jpg

17 spot for interface.jpg

18 Mic Placement.jpg

19 USB Port.jpg

20 Interface home screen 1.jpg

21 Interface fome screen 2.jpg

22 Settings 1.jpg

23 Settings 2.jpg

23 Settings 3.jpg

24 Settings 4.jpg

25 Settings 5.jpg

26 Settings 6.jpg

27 Android Auto home screen.jpg

28 Maps view.jpg

29 Music Player.jpg

30 Incoming message.jpg

31 Android Auto Home screen.jpg

33 Connects via AUX.jpg

Edited by Miguel Pereira

5 minutes ago, NavalLacrosse said:

Bravo sir!

I take it because the screen is using the reverse video input, no touch screen features work?)
Needless to say, even if there are some drawbacks, you've casually did the impossible, and brought the Journey up to par with modern cars infotainment. 

Bravo!!!

Hello Naval:

It takes the reverse video signal rom the factory wiring/plug. 

Also all touch screen features are fully functional on both the original UConnect and new interface

Edited by Miguel Pereira

Very impressive install, great pics. No hand cuts from dash work,  also amazing ?.

Does the factory console  USB jack stay functional and the second corded USB input in pic act as another input? 

No issues with heated seats and heated steering wheel ,  you have them correct.

If you don’t have a factory back up camera already and only bumper back up sensors;  you can plug and play an aftermarket cam without any extra programming ? 
With screen mirroring and data so cheap now, you could just run Waze which has reasonable traffic updates ; forget about the factory nav altogether.  Nice to have both options.  Thanks again for all the info.

42 minutes ago, John/Horace said:

Very impressive install, great pics. No hand cuts from dash work,  also amazing ?.

Does the factory console  USB jack stay functional and the second corded USB input in pic act as another input? 

No issues with heated seats and heated steering wheel ,  you have them correct.

If you don’t have a factory back up camera already and only bumper back up sensors;  you can plug and play an aftermarket cam without any extra programming ? 
With screen mirroring and data so cheap now, you could just run Waze which has reasonable traffic updates ; forget about the factory nav altogether.  Nice to have both options.  Thanks again for all the info.

Hey John:

Factory console USB still works and plays. Pictures attached.

If you don't have factory camera, this system has the RCA plug and the wiring. Additionally has in both cases extra video inputs for front camera and aftermarket parking sensors.

Source selection.jpg

USB Playback.jpg

USB Plugged and Playing.jpg

6 External video sources.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, JAR414 said:

The only question I have is, does it require you to remove the screen? Ok, one more question, where does that box on the kit go...behind the screen?

Otherwise, incredibly cool!

I had to remove the screen so I could pass cables and install.

I installed it behind the screen. No modifications... Just plug , test to be safe and put back.

large.61c10f6b4cae2_17spotforinterface.jpg

1 minute ago, JAR414 said:

Ok, that is officially COOL. I need to get me one of those!

I think is a late but good solution.

Support is great form the Italian supplier. I don't find these latest units being sold elsewhere, including AliExpress.

I assume that I, not the interface, did something wrong with the OEM Mic. I couldn't get it to work. That's why I installed the supplied one.

Note that using the supplied mic you can still use the VR button on the left steering wheel control. Press it and triggers either the Apple Siri or Google assistant. It does also activates the Uconnect VR but i say the command, the interface/phone listens and processes. Then i just press VR again to cancel the Uconnect attempt.

Things I don't like: The next/previous track don't work as it's connected via AUX1. I'm playing still with settings on phone, android auto and the interface as I don't like the interface connecting and showing up on screen as soon as i get into the car. I would prefer to idle and only starting when i press the back button which is the way to change systems.

On 1/14/2022 at 2:26 PM, Miguel Pereira said:

I think is a late but good solution.

Support is great form the Italian supplier. I don't find these latest units being sold elsewhere, including AliExpress.

I assume that I, not the interface, did something wrong with the OEM Mic. I couldn't get it to work. That's why I installed the supplied one.

Note that using the supplied mic you can still use the VR button on the left steering wheel control. Press it and triggers either the Apple Siri or Google assistant. It does also activates the Uconnect VR but i say the command, the interface/phone listens and processes. Then i just press VR again to cancel the Uconnect attempt.

Things I don't like: The next/previous track don't work as it's connected via AUX1. I'm playing still with settings on phone, android auto and the interface as I don't like the interface connecting and showing up on screen as soon as i get into the car. I would prefer to idle and only starting when i press the back button which is the way to change systems.

Do you get limited to using your phone for music, or can you use the interface while using your car's radio?

9 minutes ago, JAR414 said:

Do you get limited to using your phone for music, or can you use the interface while using your car's radio?

As far my experience goes, when using the interface there's no radio. I either use my phone's music on the microSD and native music player that shows up in Android Auto, or just use Amazon Music which is not heavy on data.

2 minutes ago, Miguel Pereira said:

As far my experience goes, when using the interface there's no radio. I either use my phone's music on the microSD and native music player that shows up in Android Auto, or just use Amazon Music which is not heavy on data.

That would be a reason for me to think about it. I guess I could let the SiriusXM subscription for this car go, and stream from my phone...

Any need to splice wires?

Just now, JAR414 said:

That would be a reason for me to think about it. I guess I could let the SiriusXM subscription for this car go, and stream from my phone...

Any need to splice wires?

No wiring striping at all specially if use the supplied microphone.

I do have and use Sirius on the car. But note that we also have the Sirius XM app.... and Sirius sounds BETTER via the app. 

Just now, Miguel Pereira said:

No wiring striping at all specially if use the supplied microphone.

I do have and use Sirius on the car. But note that we also have the Sirius XM app.... and Sirius sounds BETTER via the app. 

Agreed. And the app allows you to move between car and house listening to a specific show (CBS Sports Radio shows for me in the mornings...)

And I can always keep the other subscriptions in the account active. I am very tempted to spend the US $400 on it