Apple CarPlay suggestions

They charged me 

1 minute ago, JAR414 said:

Agreed. And the app allows you to move between car and house listening to a specific show (CBS Sports Radio shows for me in the mornings...)

And I can always keep the other subscriptions in the account active. I am very tempted to spend the US $400 on it

They charged me $359.60USD with DHL shipping.

Paid online to DHL $23.12 in customs.

3 days to Toronto. Went from Italy to Germany, to UK and Toronto 

Just now, Miguel Pereira said:

They charged me 

They charged me $359.60USD with DHL shipping.

Paid online to DHL $23.12 in customs.

3 days to Toronto. Went from Italy to Germany, to UK and Toronto 

I'll keep an eye out on it. When I looked this week it was just over US $400...

• 4 weeks later...

@Miguel Pereira: Amazing work documenting the whole process! I‘ve bought the module for a 2014 Fiat Freemont (same model for European market) and was clueless about where to put the box - thanks for the pics and pointers! ENG Custom could have done a way better job documenting the steps required!

Two more questions: where did you run the mic cable through to hook it up next to the window?

And (as this isn’t explained either in the manual) does it take a long-press of the back button on the steering wheel to switch b/w UConnect and CarPlay?

Thanks in advance for your help and best from Germany

Joseph

Edited by jro1986
Typo

On 2/13/2022 at 11:27 PM, jro1986 said:

@Miguel Pereira: Amazing work documenting the whole process! I‘ve bought the module for a 2014 Fiat Freemont (same model for European market) and was clueless about where to put the box - thanks for the pics and pointers! ENG Custom could have done a way better job documenting the steps required!

Two more questions: where did you run the mic cable through to hook it up next to the window?

And (as this isn’t explained either in the manual) does it take a long-press of the back button on the steering wheel to switch b/w UConnect and CarPlay?

Thanks in advance for your help and best from Germany

Joseph

@jro1986:

Welcome aboard!

I've driven A Freemont 2.0 MultiJet Manual 170cv. Funny it has the same torque (Nm) as the V6 but uses half the fuel.

Going back to your questions:

1. Mic cable was easy. remove the rubber from the door frame by the A pillar. Run the wire inside. After and around the Knee Airbag area I run it behind the airbag and OBD port and pushed it up behind the factory radio.
  2. The long press on the "Back" button on the steering wheel is what makes you switch between the U connect and interface.

Some advice from my usage:

1. The installation instructions could be better.
  2. The actual support from ENG-Custom is very good. Although they are very busy at the moment, there's good communication. 
  3. I've had some issues, software bugs. Initially I thought it was my Dodge but no. ENG-Custom has been providing software updates, even video calls.
  4. Most of the bugs are solved except for two but should have an update in about a week according to them. 

Please keep us posted with your progress!

Edited by Miguel Pereira

9 minutes ago, Miguel Pereira said:

@jro1986:

Welcome aboard!

I've driven A Freemont 2.0 MultiJet Manual 170cv. Funny it has the same torque (Nm) as the V6 but uses half the fuel.

Going back to your questions:

1. Mic cable was easy. remove the rubber from the door frame by the A pillar. Run the wire inside. After and around the Knee Airbag area I run it behind the airbag and OBD port and pushed it up behind the factory radio.
  2. The long press on the "Back" button on the steering wheel is what makes you switch between the U connect and interface.

Some advice from my usage:

1. The installation instructions could be better.
  2. The actual support from ENG-Custom is very good. Although they are very busy at the moment, there's good communication. 
  3. I've had some issues, software bugs. Initially I thought it was my Dodge but no. ENG-Custom has been providing software updates, even video calls.
  4. Most of the bugs are solved except for two but should have an update in about a week according to them. 

Please keep us posted with your progress!

Thanks, I have figured out how to run the mic wire from the frame to the radio in the meantime. I found a video explaining how to replace the dashboard speakers which was very helpful in the process.

I fully agree with your assessment of the installation instructions - I’d even argue that they are practically non-existent, as they only consisted of one page showing how to connect the UConnect unit to the ENG-Custom module. Moreover, the manual omits the very basic information you provided: using the Back button to switch between UConnect and CarPlay.  

I, too, was in contact with their support, mainly to find out how to connect the OEM rearview camera to the module. Have you got this to work? Apart from the camera, everything seems to work flawlessly at the moment. What kind of software issues were you struggling with?

Lastly, I attached a pic I took of the module installed in the spot behind the UConnect display that you had pointed out. Maybe this is helpful to someone else planning to take up the challenge. 

Oh, and one more very basic question: how did you manage to attach the lower part of the A/C unit to the console again with the two metal clips? Somehow, they keep falling out for me. 

27E46D95-AA60-4E0C-8272-A523E72EFAE1.jpeg

7 hours ago, jro1986 said:

Thanks, I have figured out how to run the mic wire from the frame to the radio in the meantime. I found a video explaining how to replace the dashboard speakers which was very helpful in the process.

I fully agree with your assessment of the installation instructions - I’d even argue that they are practically non-existent, as they only consisted of one page showing how to connect the UConnect unit to the ENG-Custom module. Moreover, the manual omits the very basic information you provided: using the Back button to switch between UConnect and CarPlay.  

I, too, was in contact with their support, mainly to find out how to connect the OEM rearview camera to the module. Have you got this to work? Apart from the camera, everything seems to work flawlessly at the moment. What kind of software issues were you struggling with?

Lastly, I attached a pic I took of the module installed in the spot behind the UConnect display that you had pointed out. Maybe this is helpful to someone else planning to take up the challenge. 

Oh, and one more very basic question: how did you manage to attach the lower part of the A/C unit to the console again with the two metal clips? Somehow, they keep falling out for me. 

27E46D95-AA60-4E0C-8272-A523E72EFAE1.jpeg

Hello:

1. The Backup Camera. Never had an issue with it... Just plugged the kit to the original cable that goes to the Uconnect system. It grabs the camera image from there. I never use the extra video inputs connectors. 

Although initially I suspected it could be my car (the cable connectors that run in the steering wheel around the airbag - clock spring or the steering buttons themselves), after talking to ENG-Custom Team we suspect is a software bug:

1. Often, turning the steering the Android Auto or CarPlay would change screen (maps to menu, etc) or go back to Uconnect. Then you're always using the back button to change it.
  2. I tried removing SRT pages to test if it was the cause, but it wasn't that.
  3. They sent me a software update. It happens less often but it still does it.
  4. That update enables changing music tracks using the steering left audio controls, which is great.
  5. They still working on an update that should be ready soon they say.

So far, and having those issues, I admit that they are very pleasant to deal with and never ignore the issues.

I only find sad the fat they say that they don't know the PIN code for the advanced settings screen. It's not the same as the Alfa Romeo Interface from the same manufacture that you can find in other forums.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anybody had problems getting sound out of the ENG-Custom Apple CarPlay? Everything else seems to work but I can’t get sound. The install took about 2 hours. I had one from the company Nav-tool in NY, anything has to be better. I can already tell ENG-Custom Apple CarPlay Mirroring is a better product and I don’t have sound.

1 hour ago, Jim B n Texas said:

Has anybody had problems getting sound out of the ENG-Custom Apple CarPlay? Everything else seems to work but I can’t get sound. The install took about 2 hours. I had one from the company Nav-tool in NY, anything has to be better. I can already tell ENG-Custom Apple CarPlay Mirroring is a better product and I don’t have sound.

I have no issues at all with sound.

I do have one issue but I've been trying some software updates from them... 

Do you have Uconnect set to AUX?

Send some pictures.

After your message I noticed when I switched from CarPlay to Uconnect that the stereo defaulted to the AUX. I tried playing sound from my phone and it worked. I have not tried a phone call yet but believe that it will work also. What issues are you trying to resolve? It is 110% better than Navtool, ENG-Custom is supporting their product. ENG-Custom could do a better with the manual, like everyone else it is lacking.

Jim

They need a lot of improvements... manual is one. After a lot of chat with them, told the I gave up on trying to connect to the original microphone.

On the spot they sent this picture.. I told them they should provide clear instructions.

I'll connect to the factory mic one of these days.

Regarding the issues I'm having.... only one that drives me insane.. I think my unit is defective.... keeps changing screen while driving. Goes back to Uconnect and back into interface, both in CarPlay and in Android Auto.

Check this video link bellow.

UconectMicrophone.jpeg

WhatsApp Video 2022-03-07 at 1.28.16 PM.mp4

Edited by Miguel Pereira

I asked ENG-Custom about where the two plugs when too. The manual is NOT clear. Which plug is that? The one that is in the back of the stereo? Where you able to get the backup camera to work in CarPlay or do you have two switch to Uconnect. Mine does not automatically switch between CarPlay to Uconnect. They do have a two year warranty, no offer to exchange? Maybe firmware will fix the problem ?‍♂️

Jim

Just now, Jim B n Texas said:

I asked ENG-Custom about where the two plugs when too. The manual is NOT clear. Which plug is that? The one that is in the back of the stereo? Where you able to get the backup camera to work in CarPlay or do you have two switch to Uconnect. Mine does not automatically switch between CarPlay to Uconnect. They do have a two year warranty, no offer to exchange? Maybe firmware will fix the problem ?‍♂️

Jim

That plug is in the back of the radio.

My camera shoes always on screen. Make sure your settings are like the picture for the camera.

20220119_162652.jpg

2 hours ago, Miguel Pereira said:

They need a lot of improvements... manual is one. After a lot of chat with them, told the I gave up on trying to connect to the original microphone.

On the spot they sent this picture.. I told them they should provide clear instructions.

Regarding the issues I'm having.... only one that drives me insane.. I think my unit is defective.... keeps changing screen while driving. Goes back to Uconnect and back into interface, both in CarPlay and in Android Auto.

UconectMicrophone.jpeg

That dude from ENG-Custom is a funny guy! He sent me the exact same picture when I was inquiring about the backup camera as mine won’t activate during reverse either. 
I hooked these two cables up to the cable string that goes in the bottom right of the radio unit (see highlight on attached pic!) but it still won’t work! He will send me a software update within the next days he said including a video with instructions. I will keep you posted and will share the video when I get it. 

As for your sound issues, @Jim B n Texas: Have you disconnected the UConnect Bluetooth and connected to the one of the ENG-Custom module?

This is crucial to have sound coming out of CarPlay! 

7D17A086-3640-4B13-ADD6-BF5601CBDE76.jpeg

7 hours ago, Jim B n Texas said:

I fail to slide the switch to get notifications of reply’s. To this is to get reply’s ?

You can also use the Siri voice command “announce incoming messages“ or activate announcements when having an incoming message read (i.e. when tapping the visual announcement) as explained here: https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/announce-incoming-text-messages-iph9c8438165/ios

On 15.3.2022 at 3:45 AM, Miguel Pereira said:

UconectMicrophone.jpeg

Hey Miguel, after inquiring about how to get voice commands to work in Google Maps under CarPlay, the guy from ENG-Custom send me this picture as well, explaining I would have to hook up the OEM mic via these pins… After plugging the pins into the cable string and changing the settings to using the OEM mic, I can confirm that it does in fact work this way! 

As for getting the backup camera to activate when putting the car in reverse: he sent me an update file that was supposed to enable it, but so far I couldn’t get it to work… Just to make sure (and since I couldn’t see it happen in the video you posted): does the backup camera view in fact activate in Android Auto when putting the car in reverse? Or would you have to go back to the UConnect menu?

Best from Germany

Joseph

15 hours ago, jro1986 said:

Hey Miguel, after inquiring about how to get voice commands to work in Google Maps under CarPlay, the guy from ENG-Custom send me this picture as well, explaining I would have to hook up the OEM mic via these pins… After plugging the pins into the cable string and changing the settings to using the OEM mic, I can confirm that it does in fact work this way! 

As for getting the backup camera to activate when putting the car in reverse: he sent me an update file that was supposed to enable it, but so far I couldn’t get it to work… Just to make sure (and since I couldn’t see it happen in the video you posted): does the backup camera view in fact activate in Android Auto when putting the car in reverse? Or would you have to go back to the UConnect menu?

Best from Germany

Joseph

Hello Joseph!

Yes. In any circumstances, when using the interface, I ALWAYS get the backup camera. 

Let me ask you, is that a Fiat Freemont? If so, manual transmission?

On this side of the pond is only Automatic Transmissions.

Regarding my issues.... I talked to the team at ENG-Custom. they agreed that my situation is very strange. They will send me a replacement!

I'll keep updating this thread.

Edited by Miguel Pereira

• 3 weeks later...

Hello:

Update:

1. I've exchanged the module with a new one supplied under warranty.
  2. Same issue with screen changing often.
  3. Frustrated - to be nice - Car has been checked at Dodge as well and all cables connections from steering wheel appear to be perfect including on the Electronic Diagnostic. At the end any thing strange only happens with interface installed.
  4. Asked ENG Custom to send new cables as they sent only the actual module.