Help!

mzwatkins

I have a 2014 Dodge Journey SE. I bought a brand new battery 2 most ago. I have now been dealing with my car starting every other day. It does have a hard start but always runs fine. I have been told so many things from alternator, a bad battery (although its new) , something to do with electrical or the computer, and something to do with the fuel pump. I took it to auto zone was told that the voltage fluctuated could be the battery or the alternator. However since the battery is under the car I have to pay someone else to take it off so it can be tested. Any suggestions? 

Told by so many people about what? WHO put the battery in 2 months ago? Did they clean the cable terminal  clamps and make sure they fastened tightly to the battery posts?

What is the "hard start"? Plenty of engine crank but no run or not wanting to crank at all? When it does run, is the Check Engine light on? Has it ever had codes read from the OBD port under the dashboard?

3 minutes ago, 5rebel9 said:

Told by so many people about what? WHO put the battery in 2 months ago? Did they clean the cable terminal  clamps and make sure they fastened tightly to the battery posts?

What is the "hard start"? Plenty of engine crank but no run or not wanting to crank at all? When it does run, is the Check Engine light on? Has it ever had codes read from the OBD port under the dashboard?

I have been told the following things by mechanics but no one actually looked at the car. I've had so many no show mechanics its ridiculous. The guy who put the battery in was supposed to come by yesterday never did and isn't responding now. He did it so fast Im not sure if he cleaned anything. The hard start is plenty of engine crank just not turning over. Then the next day it starts up.

Then it does NOT sound like a battery problem if there is plenty of crank from the starter motor. 

How many miles on the car and if over 60,000 miles have the spark plugs ever been replaced?

What size engine in your Journey? the 4 cyl(2.4) or the V6 (3.6)?

IF the starter cranks the engine at what was normal speed before this happened, then I doubt that even the alternator is the concern. 

As I asked before, when the car does start and you drive it...is the yellow engine warning light on? Auto Zones and such parts stores can check the computer for codes for free. I suggest once it starts to do that and post back the code numbers they can retrieve if there are any. This will give a clearer picture of what is going on.

8 minutes ago, mzwatkins said:

I did do that and it was a catalytic converter code

There are a number of different cat converter codes. Some of which can help indicate why the car might be having a hard time "firing up" and running. The code number (P- - - -) would be more help.

As with any car, odd things can happen in COLD winter weather...don't know general location you're at for weather, but yes with 130 k miles there is the possibility of a failing fuel pump in the gas tank that could be considered. On a forum and sight unseen hard to give an exact here's your problem and fix for it.

Thanks for posting the code. YUP computer is sensing the converter not operating up to par(partly plugging up) This can be from poor fuel injector spray while driving and proper spray to starting.  

I know this won't give a quick fix to your main concern of hard/ not starting. But when you can get it started go buy a can of SeaFoam and add it to the gas tank with a fill up and then you need to do some good highway speed driving to let it work thru the fuel system and it will also help clean up the cat converter too.

Edited by 5rebel9

There is a recall on the catalytic converters on the 2.4 engines. My daughter in law just had her’s replaced on a 2012.

It is not mileage dependant.

I would phone dealer with vin in your hand, you might be in luck. The plugs need changing every 60k on the 4 cyclinder, they are cheap copper core plugs used. Running plugs too long with cyclinder misfire can plug up catalytic converters and creat catalytic converter efficiency codes.

Start with the easy stuff. If you are getting voltage all over the place i am going to guess bad connection. Get into that wheel well, disconnect everything and inspect the positive/negative cables, connectors, and posts. clean it up real nice and connect up everything nice and snug, including the strap that holds the battery down.

16 hours ago, John/Horace said:

There is a recall on the catalytic converters on the 2.4 engines. My daughter in law just had her’s replaced on a 2012.

It is not mileage dependant.

I would phone dealer with vin in your hand, you might be in luck. The plugs need changing every 60k on the 4 cyclinder, they are cheap copper core plugs used. Running plugs too long with cyclinder misfire can plug up catalytic converters and creat catalytic converter efficiency codes.

actually the manual calls for the plugs to be changed every 30 k not 60 k on the 2.4

9 hours ago, deejizzle said:

Start with the easy stuff. If you are getting voltage all over the place i am going to guess bad connection. Get into that wheel well, disconnect everything and inspect the positive/negative cables, connectors, and posts. clean it up real nice and connect up everything nice and snug, including the strap that holds the battery down.

best advice here the cheapest to do and also the most important as well

52 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

best advice here the cheapest to do and also the most important as well

Agreed, but further postings led me to think there was more going on than that and what I had started out with. Spark Plugs are actually EASIER to do than the battery maint on the 2.4 motor, and just as important. Without specific answers to my questions, it's hard to give real help and not just conjecture. 

I hope people like this don't treat their family doctors with giving health concern/symptoms  info to get good  health treatment in return.

NOTE: This last statement is not meant directly to the OP.....there are a lot of "members" that post similarly.