It’s dead

Joel

My 2014 SE died Saturday night. We were driving home and stopped at a light. When the light changed the car wouldn’t move, the engine started surging, then we heard crackling like an electrical arc so we turned it off and smoke started pouring out from under the hood. Now the engine compartment smells like burnt electrical parts. All lights work in the car but nothing else. I’m not an electrical expert so I have no idea where to start looking on this. Anyone have any suggestions?

The power distribution box and the other part circled smell burnt. 

3636FFFF-9939-4ECC-932F-D7EE1366DF0D.jpeg

OUCH!:spend:

Some big expenses to get this back up and running, that's the ECM(engine control module) and TIPM/fuse panel you've circled and both probably electrically burned out. No doubt that some electrical harnesses are damaged also. Good Luck on how you proceed, as this is more than a "shade tree mechanics" level work. Much less to figure out why this happened so it does not repeat itself. 

Yeah it is. If it was mechanical that would be different. I just am not very experience with the electrical systems of these newer vehicles. It may be more expensive to fix than I’m willing to put into it.

35 minutes ago, Joel said:

Yeah it is. If it was mechanical that would be different. I just am not very experience with the electrical systems of these newer vehicles. It may be more expensive to fix than I’m willing to put into it.

Sorry that such a big problem hit, and at a very poor time. Being pretty new here myself to the forum, I take it you've had some "issues" previously from looking up your profile. I also take it that this is a 2.4 FWD 2014 model? My sister has the same year and 2.4...nice car overall just says a bit underpowered for the many hill's in our area. SHE is envious of our '11 V6 AWD "mainstreet" after taking a ride in it.

Good Luck with repair or replacement to your's  :)

2 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

Sorry that such a big problem hit, and at a very poor time. Being pretty new here myself to the forum, I take it you've had some "issues" previously from looking up your profile. I also take it that this is a 2.4 FWD 2014 model? My sister has the same year and 2.4...nice car overall just says a bit underpowered for the many hill's in our area. SHE is envious of our '11 V6 AWD "mainstreet" after taking a ride in it.

Good Luck with repair or replacement to your's  :)

Yes it’s a 2014 2.4 model. We have had many issues with it and the dealership can never find anything wrong. Wonder if they would still say they can’t find anything. ??

I wonder as a fire of sorts, if comprehensive coverage of insurance would cover this damage.

Might be worth investigating if cost gets high enough.

Unexplained fires should also be reported to NHTSA national Hiway traffic safety administration,  feds keep track for recall campaigns etc. 

i had a friend that bought a new jeep with the 3.6 couple yrs ago and he was going thur some water with it, slow and steady and not deep water as well. engine went dead and the jeep dealer said the water got into the engine thur the rear seal and it wouldn't be  cover it under the warranty,,,, but he said later on his auto insurance covered the repair which i found hard to believe but he said it was true...P.S. he had bought the max lifetime warranty when he bought the jeep as well

My elderly aunt was stuck in an unplowed parking lot and kept trying to spin her way out.

She toasted transmission on her expensive in warranty Park Avenue, dealer said too bad so sad, same as insurance company.

Her son in law decided to talk to ombudsmen of insurance company, she had multiple policies with this same company, very good customer.

They decided they wanted to keep 25 yr customer with multiple policies. Car was covered...with arm twisting. It wasn’t cheap repair.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve found out that my rfid module for the push button start and all that mess is under the rear mast antenna. Now I’ve seen that the mast antenna is in pretty bad shape. Would water leaking through there into the rfid module cause the issues I had?

image.jpg

Sorry to hear that Insurance policy would not cover it.    :(

A good chance that that was the START of the problem, but now you will still have to repair what "smoked" under the hood. Pretty intensive to track all out and costly repair if not DIY. I'd start with the antenna  and module you post of. Then start testing TIPM relays and fuses AND the wiring that goes into the TIPM underneath it. That should be enough to keep you busy till CHRISTMAS...LOL  ;)

PLEASE keep us posted on any updates and progress.    :)

Edited by 5rebel9

2 hours ago, Joel said:

I’ve found out that my rfid module for the push button start and all that mess is under the rear mast antenna. Now I’ve seen that the mast antenna is in pretty bad shape. Would water leaking through there into the rfid module cause the issues I had?

image.jpg

just replaced my antenna that was looking like that, nut i noticed it right away as a mech was backing my journey up a bit and the antenna hit the roll up door that was partially closed,,,i doubt that their was a leak there as that whole top part is built on to a metal stud that screws into the base so no chance of a leak there..also the  antenna is about $21 at the dealership and about 16 on amazon... if you twist the rubber part above the base it will just screw out

1 hour ago, Joel said:

I finally got the car checked out and the results are.....ECU, TIPM, wiring harness, and apparently the timing belt broke and bent valves. So I had a lot of good luck out of one breakdown. ?

Just as I had feared for the car. :(

But that should have been a timing CHAIN and odd to hear of that going out as you posted, the motor would have been making some odd noises for some time before breaking.

A lot of work and cost for sure to bring it back to life, let us know what will be done as for SURGURY or a FUNERAL for it.....

I have 5 payment left on it, so I am considering putting a new engine in it. It’s actually my wife’s car and she loves it so I’m going to let her decide whether she wants to replace it or what. Apparently she said it had been ticking for a while before it died, and yes you are all correct, it has a timing chain, timing belt is my misstep since I’m use to saying timing belt from working on my Nissan all the time. Lol

Going to 6 cylinder not really doable. The 3.6 uses a 6 speed automatic (vehicle has a 4 now), exhaust, fuel pump, wiring harnesses etc would have to be swapped. Entire donor car would have to be purchased . Labor hours would be nuts.

The parts and labor on just a straight repair might exceed what a another Journey could be bought for. If it’s already had a lot of problems and transmission oil changes haven’t been kept up, might more sense to move on.

Everything has been kept up fortunately. I’ve always been good about following service intervals. I’ve been doing some shopping and have found a used engine with 38k on it for $2100 and I can get a new engine from Mopar for $4200. I just don’t know if it would be worth all the time and expense.

had a 89 pickup truck and it caught on fire under the hood, insurance covered the cost to fix it new hood and all sorts of electrical harness repair and a complete paint job as well looked great but it  wasnt to long i started to notice some glitches in the way the truck was starting and running so,I  traded it in on a new dodge truck before it started to go bad..................they wanted to replace the wiring harness but they had a hard time getting one so they patched it up