Potential new owner - need advice

chipmunk

Hi,

After researching and test driving a handful of vehicles, I have narrowed down to a pre-owned Journey. Mechanically I can do anything that does NOT involving dropping the engine or transmission. Also not very comfortable with electronics and electricals. Most I can do with electronics is to replace sensors! I couldn't find every piece of info on the internet - so here is my list of questions. Please be patient!

• I'm looking at a 2019 Journey FWD with 2.4 engine. Although it's a 4-speed, I felt comfortable enough. How is this powertrain when it's loaded with 4 adults and 2 kids? (I couldn't test drive it with my whole clan)
  • How reliable are the engine & transmission? I can do most maintenance work by myself, but can't drop the engine or transmission. If I keep up with regular maintenance of brakes, oils, etc., how much life can I expect from this powertrain?
  • I heard the 40TES has a clutch pack instead of torque converter. How much life can I expect from them? When they need to be replaced, how easy is the job?
  • I have a 400 lb motorcycle (plus the weight of the trailer) that I need to tow around. Can the Tigershark & 40TES handle this load?
  • What are some common issues/failures to look out for in these SUVs?

Regards!

Edited by chipmunk

1) DO NOT get the 4cyl. you'll regret it. The V6 makes 100 more HP and has nearly identical city and hwy economy. If the 19 is in your budget for the 4cyl, drop 1 year and get the v6 for the same price. Please I beg you. as a total stranger on the interwebs, let this be the only thing you remember me by-

2) Trans and engine is as reliable as any other car. I'm only familiar with the 3.9 v6, 6sp auto - and cannot attest to the I4's 4sp reliability- but I've done from 30k to 100k miles on my 6sp without any major issue other than recently changing the alternator (and battery)...
You can 'Expect' your 8yr/100k warranty to keep the powertrain working... but once that's gone, the car will be 8 years old, and  you're going to have to accept that it's a used car and things, although rare, might break.

3) IDK, sorry I'm unaware of that part- but the 6sp and 4sp are tried and true through their entire fleet of sedans, minivans, and jeeps. I'm sure it's fine- and if you have an issue, it's a warranty claim away- at least for the next 7 years.  (side note, don't all auto trans have a torque converter and clutch?). also, the 4spdesign is really old and has been used in many many cars and minivans through the early 2000's. the kinks are mostly worked out, I'd suspect.

4) yes, but barely. The 4cyl has a towing rating of 100lbs tongue and 1000 lbs trailer. the V6 has the 100lbs tongue and 2500lbs grosse trailer rating.  You'll be able to do it both both, but don't expect to pass anyone on the freeway at all. The V6 on the other hand, you'll not even know the trailer is back there. You'll need to install aftermarket hitch, and later an after market wire harness, as FCA likes to nickel-and-dime you if you want the trailer lights to work.

5) Electrical Gremilins; it's an indication the battery is beginning to preform less than ideal, and needs to be replaced soon.  That's about it. battery is in the wheel well. Use some wd40 to clean and lubricate the clips before you remove them. Don't break the thermal chip when disconnecting the negative terminal.

Edited by NavalLacrosse

most journeys are only covered 5 yr or  60 k from the factory ....The 60,000-mile powertrain limited warranty is more standard in its offerings, covering most of the engine and transmission components for five years. Specifically, you will get coverage for engine parts (internal parts, oil and water pumps, etc.), transmission parts (case, torque converter, sensors, etc.), and the drive system (front, rear, or all-wheel drive).                                                                   As NavalLacrosse has mentioned i wouldn't get the 4 cly if i was you i have bought 2 journeys and have gotton the 3.6 eng as well had 70 k on my 2011 when i traded in on my  2014 with 106 k on it , no transmission problems on either as well, have had some small problems with both but nothing serious, i really love the journey and hate to see they are doing away with it after this yr, it took the place of the low budget caravan that they got rid of and dont know what young people are going to buy from dodge that has this much room in a vehicle...make sure you find one with the option you want as adding them can get expensive and difficult as well, like the 8.4 screen vs the 4 inch one, or regular radio vs the navigation on as well. good luck

I have an 09 with the 2.4L and 4 speed with 195,000+ miles. It still feels tight and is rattle free. The brake rotors are undersized and get replaced when the pads are spent. I believe larger rotors became standard a couple model years in. The engine front seal leaked slightly and was repaired under warranty. Spade connector on starter corroded causing intermittent no starts. Alternator clutch pulley replaced at high mileage. I may be forgetting something but nothing major. So, not much in 11 years and eight laps around the Earth.

Trans fluid and filter changed at 120,000 miles. That's it. Shifts sames as new.

I haven't towed with mine. I have many times traveled in it with three other adults and luggage and it isn't great. Or good. Depends on what you are used to. Stomping the gas on on-ramps or when at cruising speed produces more noise than thrust. It'll get there, but it'll take a minute. Around town and on back roads 45 mph and below it's powerful enough and quiet enough and the ride is smooth. I don't believe the Tigershark engine is used in the Journey.

I've said on this forum I wouldn't buy another with a 4 cylinder and that hasn't changed. It's hilly where I live and mountainous where I travel. I like the car, it's just the engine isn't a good fit for me. But you may like it and that's what matters. Load up the family, put some weight in the back and take a long test drive. 

33 minutes ago, chipmunk said:

Thank you all! I have to rethink the 2.4 option then. 

Was the misfiring issue ever resolved on the older Pentastar engines? Or better question is, how common is the misfiring issue in Journeys?

there has been a few on here asking how to fix a misfire on there 3.6,,As always all car manufactures have certain problems with their vehicles, and they improved the brake rotors after 2012 so no more problems with that, and have read that some have starting problems due to battery drain on their electrical system, that said i have had none of thoes problems and really love my journey. my advise would be a 3.6 with the 8.4 radio screen and i would stay away from the Nav radio as some have problems with it and also real expensive to update,also unless you really need awd just go front wheel drive as there is less to go wrong with all the extra drive train, which can get expensive to maintain and repair. good luck

• 1 month later...

Fellow Moparheads, need your help again:

I am aware of misfire issues on early Pentastars (until mid 2013 I think...?). I believe there were revised heads to resolve the problem. How do I tell if an engine has the revised heads? I'm looking at a 2013 SXT, manufactured June 2013. So I'm not sure if this has newer heads or older ones.

P.S.: I heeded your warning and staying away from 2.4L

Edited by chipmunk

5 hours ago, chipmunk said:

P.S.: I heeded your warning and staying away from 2.4L

actually there was nothing wrong with the 4 cylinder except when trying high speed passes, and even then it has no problem hitting 90+ mph, it just takes a few seconds longer to get there.

One might expect that with the simpler engine and transmission designs the 4 might be more reliable than the Pentastar with the 6 speed.  All I know is that my 4 cylinder 2011 never had any problems and neither has my 6 cylinder 2014.

Towing a motorcycle?  Ride the damned thing and let your wife drive the cage.

• 2 weeks later...

The 4 cylinder isn’t bad for most part but if you are regularly hauling six people the v6 will spark more joy. I have the 4 cylinder and it’s been pretty great though I will agree it’s not a rocket ship. Though the mid to high 20’s in mpg is worth it. All depends on how you are going to use it. Compared to the Tigershark and the nine speed either powertrain will feel great! 

Best of luck!!