Oil housing filter

NZJourney

Hi all, I have 2014 Dodge Journey R/T. I was hoping to get some advice on the oil housing filter which needs to be replaced. After taking my car into a dodge certified dealership here in NZ for a Service (about 7months ago), we noticed a few drips of oil here and there about 2 weeks after, this was not constant so we thought nothing of it. They noted that our transmission sump needed to be replaced - our transmission was rebuilt 5 months prior, so I didn't quite believe them.

About 3 weeks ago our car sitting in our drive way had a gush of brown substances - at the time we thought, transmission is buggered as it was draining on that side. We had the car towed to a near mechanic Bob, (unfortunately not dodge certified), who inspected the car and found the issue was not the transmission, however, it was a plastic part in the oil filter housing which is causing the leak. Bob believed the issue was caused by the last person who performed the last oil filter change, as they believed it was over tighten and this caused the small leak. As Bob was doing the assessment on the car he found a few things that actually hadn't been replaced on the car from the last service, one being the oil filter gasket which has a hair line crack and has become square in shape and quite solid in touch. Bob said this is due to oil been leaked on to the gasket over a period of time. 

So, back to the dodge dealer I went, they have performed an assessment on the car and believe that the damaged plastic is from wear and tear and that the plastic part is 20cm away from the oil filter meaning they didn't go near it. They also can't explain the oil filter gasket which has been left on. At this stage they are not willing to replace anything, but rather saying they can cut me a deal, also wanting to educate Bob on 'dodge' faults. I find the way they are conducting business with myself, is more on the arrogant side. I'm also a female who has little knowledge about car's

So my questions are: 

- From simple research I have found one person saying this damage could be caused when and oil change/filter change has been done - Is this true? Or is what the dealership saying correct?

- What do you think I should do in this position?

I'm also a female who has little knowledge about car's and I think the dealership know this. 

Thank you in advance =)

• 2 weeks later...

How much oil is leaking, a lot or a minimal amount? Dripping onto the ground or just around the filter housing?

"...oil filter gasket which has a hair line crack and has become square in shape and quite solid in touch..."

Not clear what is meant by this. Bob says the gasket has a crack? Or a crack in the housing? The oil filter gasket shape is round when new, if overtightened I supposed it could flatten out a bit.

I would start by replacing the oil filter and gasket, it's very easy to do and is replaced from above. Make sure it's the correct filter (68191349AB or 68191349AC). A very similar looking filter (68079744Ax) was used in 2013 and earlier models which some people have installed by mistake, which can cause serious issues and leaking. Clean the area around the filter after changing it so you can determine where it is leaking.

What exactly is the dealer saying that needs to be replaced and what are they quoting you?

Mechanics pointing fingers at each other for blame is never good. Man splaining as they call it, also not a pleasant experience. I fix my wife and daughters cars to help them avoid that.

The oil filter housing is part of a large plastic/aluminum piece called the oil heat exchanger mounted on top of engine. The oil temperature and glycol temp sensors are also screwed into this plastic assembly. There have been a lot of problems with this assembly leaking oil. 2014 was the year with more of the problems (on my 2014 I had to replace the assembly).

In some cases people are saying it’s cracked, in other cases the rubber O ring gaskets  are blamed, in other cases the threaded in oil presssure switch is identified as the cause.

I think it is a poorly designed part and over tightening oil filter isn’t the real cause,  it’s the design. It’s a messy awkward job and fairly labor intensive.  If the mechanics don’t find a crack it’s possible to just change out the O ring gasket set on the base of the heat exchanger and hope it’s ok. Approx 2 hours-ish of labor and gaskets.

The whole assembly from dealer comes with new gaskets, and with new pressure switches oil/glycol installed. Pricy at $385 cdn before tax, but guarantees no second repair job with all variations of leak problem fixed. 

Oring comes with new filter and is changed every oil change. Doesn’t get old enough to harden up or wear out IMO. Torque spec is stamped in filter housing lid at 25 newton meters, eliminates guess work.
I have changed oil on various Hyundai with this style plastic filter housing, one has over 200k and has never leaked. If you checked their forums you will not find it discussed. Plastic isn’t the problem imo. Common filter set up now. You don’t redesign a part that is working fine.

German engineering filter design, bitog says. 

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4352133/all/2014_Dodge_Durango_3.6L_oil_co

Edited by John/Horace