Engine Whining Noise

Lately, I've noticed a distinct "whining" sound coming from the engine compartment. It's got around a 100k miles and it's been well maintained. There's been NO loss of engine or transmission performance. The whining sound is constant but increases/decreases proportionately with RPM changes. It's definitely not the front wheel bearings since I replaced those last year and it's not THAT same sound. The sound doesn't change when the steering wheel is turned side-to-side like with low power steering fluid. The transmission fluid is good and pink and runs well. And there's no obvious alternator  or charging related issues. The belts are good but I'm wondering if it might be the Idler pulley or power steering pump or bearings in one of the accessory components. Any thoughts or similar experiences? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum...free advice is worth everything you pay for it.  You don’t say which engine you have. Lots of bearings spinning on front of engine that can make noise.

If the tensioner pulley or idler are still original they can start to get noisy by 100k. (mine did on 3.6 engine) Remove belt and give them a spin with the belt off.

Then tensioner is often sold as an expensive assembly, but Rockauto sold just the pulley with a bearing installed for reasonable $.

Could run engine for 30 seconds with belt off to confirm it’s something driven by belt and not internal engine stuff; with water pump not turning don’t run it for long. This may generate codes from alternator not functioning in system. Good luck.

• 3 years later...
On 4/30/2020 at 8:37 PM, Cam Masters said:

Lately, I've noticed a distinct "whining" sound coming from the engine compartment. It's got around a 100k miles and it's been well maintained. There's been NO loss of engine or transmission performance. The whining sound is constant but increases/decreases proportionately with RPM changes. It's definitely not the front wheel bearings since I replaced those last year and it's not THAT same sound. The sound doesn't change when the steering wheel is turned side-to-side like with low power steering fluid. The transmission fluid is good and pink and runs well. And there's no obvious alternator  or charging related issues. The belts are good but I'm wondering if it might be the Idler pulley or power steering pump or bearings in one of the accessory components. Any thoughts or similar experiences? Thanks!

On 4/30/2020 at 8:37 PM, Cam Masters said:

I am currently having very possibly the same issue  did you ever get it figured out? I think it's the p.s pump pulley bearings going dry but I can not tell where the sound originates even with a stethoscope it is very difficult to tell where it's coming from. I have a 2013 dodge journey se 2.4l. It is all original. Barely had to have any work until now but I just rolled past the 100k and definitely need to fix this b4 it becomes more. I hope this 1 second video clip loads I had to cut it down but the sound is very obvious. I wanted to upload something for the sound, thnx in advance. I would appreciate any advice

20231126_151634_1.mp4

• 2 weeks later...

I posted previously about a whining noise that I could not get fixed. It ended up being the alternator decoupler or clutch. I don't know why in the workd anybody would want to install an extra part on an alternator but I swapped it out the wine is gone. A good tip on a 2013 journey se. It's so much easier if you just remove the alternator then the pulley no special tool needed hex bit and air impact. All I ended up using.  I just wanted to share, thanks guys.

Mmm looks like the 3.6 also has decoupler clutch, all the units for sale list the feature. I used a dealer rebuild on our 3.6 so installed a complete unit a few years ago. It stopped charging  but no whining noise.   Coupler is used to save energy apparently.  Cost is around $130 ish for just coupler, so whole unit is probably better option. Made in Canada…probably why it failed.?

599BB86C-9914-4E04-9F58-D3EDFBAC43EF.thumb.jpeg.cd12fc2dd3b1030d1444a2bb437fbdf9.jpegC5CDBA09-B9CB-41B3-9568-168E916DC9E3.thumb.jpeg.e1ae38623b4dfc44172e7d95ad4bd465.jpeg671F9D93-989F-4E43-BB50-906609EA008E.thumb.jpeg.34f155c0b43ef69e9abd30ffcb9db25d.jpeg

SORRY FOR THE WRONG "SCOOP". 

I've been a long time member of an Avenger forum and the 2.4 engined models are always complaining of this problem, I can't recall 1 post of the decoupler pulley failing or cause of whine on the 3.6 ones there. 

My 3 are 140k+ miles and are original alternators and no problems from them.

BTW @John/Horace, My{?} '14 is the same BLUE as from your pics for rear hatch! I hope this does not "jinx" yours!

my neighbor mentioned as I drove past him that my journey seemed to have a whine that he was hearing, it was real cold that morning and I had just started it and took off as well I had noticed it before but it goes away after a few minutes f warming up,,3.6 eng here with 152 k on the clock

7 hours ago, 2late4u said:

my neighbor mentioned as I drove past him that my journey seemed to have a whine that he was hearing, it was real cold that morning and I had just started it and took off as well I had noticed it before but it goes away after a few minutes f warming up,,3.6 eng here with 152 k on the clock

Did you ever get this done?