I want to fight it, but I might buy this Dodge Journey

baiselmareo6

Toronto, Ontario, if it matters... So, both mine and my wife's leases ended around the same time. We replaced with one new car on a lease because she's on Mat leave... but we're finding it hard to just have one car if I'm at work all day with it. We'd talked about getting a beater just for me to drive the 8km to work and back.

So, old co-worker of my FIL has a 2010 Dodge Journey SE (4 cylinder). The car has high km (194,000 / 120,000miles) but mostly highway. The car is basically accident free, and safety-certified. We're offered the car for $1500 CAD plus I offered to pay for the safety and any necessary labour (about $300 for the inspection, certificate and I think it needed brakes).

So, I've told friends that ANY <10 year old car with no accidents, no work needed and a safety certificate is worth at least $2k all day long. I really think this car is ugly and boring but it seems like a great deal.

Anything of concern I should be looking for on this vehicle? Like I said, it has a safety certificate but maybe there are common issues that wouldn't be determined on a typical inspection. Please convince me that I'm not making a mistake with this as a 2nd car for commuting.

Toronto, Ontario is in South America? :reading:

Check which brake version it has. There is a lot of information about insufficiently sized brakes on the early model years. Know what you are getting and whether this will be a problem for you.

Otherwise, I'm in the camp of older, good shape, decent miles, low price, short commute. Not a lot of risk if everything checks out by a competent mechanic. Even if problems crop up later, move on and your loss is small.

You will get plenty of haters, and lovers, here with such an open-ended question. Me, I like boring and very functional.

Edited by Summer Solstice

It will cost you money to maintain any vehicle but you dont have a lot of money up front on it and they are fairly cheap to maintain maintenance wise.

Plugs and tranny drain and fill (with Mopar parts) would be first on my list of to do's...good luck

I didn't know Toronto had moved to South America either

DON'T BUY IT... MOVE ON!!!

We don't need another member that is going in with a negative attitude from the start. First sign of trouble, you'll blame the car (or Dodge) without considering the age of the car and how every 10+ year old car is going to need work. If it doesn't feel good, don't do it. 

yes it does have the under size brake rotors, but my 2011 i had some problems at first and dealership changed out the rotors and that was at around 12 k then after that no more problems and then changed out the pads at around 40 k and traded in on my 2014 journey with no more problems at 70 k

Do you have a good vehicle history of maintenance. Tranny like some one mentioned should have had at least one oil change by now, glycol as well.

Do you have a trusted mechanic who doesn’t look at you like a lottery ticket when you come in.

Did the original owner have three teenagers beating on it for the 200k or was is driven normally.

Do you have a million dollar ear (for squeaks and rattles) and a tight $ budget for repairs on an older car. Need to be able to figure out what a noise is caused by, then turn up radio if a non safety item like a sway bar link bushing. Some people don’t have that abilility; I’m referring to some of my family members right now, who will go un-named.

The original OP is only hoping he is South America right now, for nicer warmer weather, like we all crave.

Edited by John/Horace

On 31/03/2020 at 1:05 PM, baiselmareo6 said:

Toronto, Ontario, if it matters... So, both mine and my wife's leases ended around the same time. We replaced with one new car on a lease because she's on Mat leave... but we're finding it hard to just have one car if I'm at work all day with it. We'd talked about getting a beater just for me to drive the 8km to work and back.

So, old co-worker of my FIL has a 2010 Dodge Journey SE (4 cylinder). The car has high km (194,000 / 120,000miles) but mostly highway. The car is basically accident free, and safety-certified. We're offered the car for $1500 CAD plus I offered to pay for the safety and any necessary labour (about $300 for the inspection, certificate and I think it needed brakes https://www.55printing.com ).

So, I've told friends that ANY <10 year old car with no accidents, no work needed and a safety certificate is worth at least $2k all day long. I really think this car is ugly and boring but it seems like a great deal.

Anything of concern I should be looking for on this vehicle? Like I said, it has a safety certificate but maybe there are common issues that wouldn't be determined on a typical inspection. Please convince me that I'm not making a mistake with this as a 2nd car for commuting.

Thank you my issue has been solved,...

Edited by baiselmareo6