Hi everyone!

So recently I got the dual resonators off the rear of my journey, love the sounds so i was thinking of taking the mid muffler off as well. Has anyone else done this and if so how does it sound? Is the drone worse with both off? And is it okay to take both off and have a cat-back straight pipe? Will I lose more back-pressure?

Thank you!

I'm totally not an expert, Although I'm thinking that the Pentastar is not high enough performance engine to depend on backpressure, or lack thereof.

It's my gut feeling (based on literally nothing, as I said I've got no expertise) is that you're not going to see any measurable gain or loss, provided you keep the pipe diameter the same, and run it aproximatly the whole length of the OEM's system. I'd leave the existing pipe because: if it sounds good as is, no reason to remove it, as it reduces the amount of extra cost in fabricating a replacement segment. 

I'm thinking you're best looking at the information on the Charger and Challenger V6 performance forums, because you'll likely get better information on straight-piping, or cat-backing the Pentastar.

Edited by NavalLacrosse

I think back pressure occasionally matters. But very rarely. I had a 1979 Russian car called a Lada , body was 20:yr old Fiat 124 design IIRCC and engine was ancient 4 cyclinder 1.5 liter VW design of some sort. People called it a Lada trouble, which it was.

Exhaust broke right at exhaust  manifold and I had to drive it a few days during college exams.

Car lost about 50 percent of power so it strangely needed back pressure. It was a single overhead cam design. Power came back with mig welded sleeve repair.

Carburetor with manual choke pull lever. There was a place for a manual hand crank to fit into front of engine crank pulley. But retrofitted canadian bumpers covered the spot where crank linkage needed to go through. Always want to drill out hole to try and hand crank the engine. Car had its own tool kit, with manual pump strong enough to actually pump up a car tire.

I learned more about car repair in 12 months of ownership then I have ever learned since. To keep one on the road you needed a separate parts car. Which you could buy for $50 in 1984.

Very simple but crude vehicle. Very slow because of heavy weight under powered engine, fuel economy not horrible.   Exhaust pipes and other metal very thick so you could fix stuff your self.

No catalytic converter I think was why back pressure mattered. Just a catalytic by itself could be the minimal back pressure a 4 stroke normally aspirated engine needs.

Entire electrical system wired with four colors of wire. Trying to trace an issue not exactly easy to do.

Tool kit from car hilarious but functional. I still have two metric wrenches from the kit. Excellent strength steel, but machining and forging very ruff. One wrench has the size stamping mixed up. Small 10 mm end says 13 and vice versa. Bad vodka day maybe.