2015 SXT Oil filter Cap Rattle

nnngn_zero

My delightful 2015 SXT now has 95,000 on the odo. During a routine oil change, when I removed the oil filter there was an unusual piece of plastic caught in the "nipple thing" in the bottom of the oil filter.

It appears to have come from the filter cap where the piece slides inside the filter.

Now the oil cap rattles when it is shaken and I can see there is a loose spring in the bottom of the cap that I do not remember being loose.

I am going to replace the cap eventually, but it will have to be ordered.

In the meantime I am going to put the cap back on in its current condition.

I assume this part is related to the oil bypass??

How detrimental would it be to drive without it?

Thanks for the help.

i do all my own oil changes on my 2014 so are you saying part of the oil cap has a small piece of plastic broke off from it? as the filter nipple faces downward there was some plastic piece caught in the nipple? hmm i dont see how the cap could rattle as it screws on fairly tight, as long as it doesn't leak,and you dont have no problems with the oil bypass valve not working you would be okay for a while i guess... some bad news for you iv read on here from some other post that just the cap cannot be ordered without the whole oil assy cooler you might would find one at a junk yard or maybe  e bay i guess. good luck and please report back on what ever you do or find out for others that might have this problem

Yes, the cap can be found from auto parts stores for +/- $20

However none of them have one in stock.

Picture of the piece that separated from (I assume) the oil filter cap attached.

Now when I look on the inside of the oil filter cap, I can see a loose spring inside the housing that I believe this piece was connected to.

The cap rattled when shaken before re-installation due to the loose spring. It did not do this before.

thumbnail.jpg

Nice link YYZ lots of info there. Sooo it seems like the check valve that is broken, forces the oil through the filter.

Driving it as is means the oil can bypass being filtered, short term not that big a deal IMO.  Early cars didn’t even have oil filters until approx the early  1950’s and the oil quality was also crap. 

With the mopar part number some else posted, you should be able to track down part.  Rockauto lists a dorman and mopar oil filter cover, both in stock for between $11- $17 cdn pesos. Rockauto really rocks for parts IMO, cheap shipping and quick delivery even across border.

Good luck.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2015,journey,3.6l+v6,3309784,engine,oil+filter+cover,5561

9 hours ago, yyz said:

Watch this it's probably what you need  for the older 3.6l the part is listed  this is the guy that got them to make the bypass available without replacing the entire assembly

as he should notice this not the oil cooler he has in his 2015, to be honest i just changed my oil in my 2014 and i cant remember what is in the cap that could have broke off like what he is showing in his hand that would make the cap rattle,as the new filter with the nipple goes in facing downward in the newer journey,and actually dorman does make a kit to fix the old style by pass after it is broken.

The newer style lid like in my picture has a small plastic piece held in place by two tabs. The small plastic piece looks identical to what he is holding in his hand. 

I had to replace my leaking oil cooler last year, the pic is the newer style cap from my 2014. I’m guessing the plastic sometimes gets britttle with age and the constant heat. I think this piece seals opening in top of filter, part of bypass design.448E99BC-8DFB-473F-9471-37DEF9E05245.thumb.jpeg.3655e59cad3745eb70977eb66e13232d.jpeg