Oil degradation level

agm2112

My understanding is that those vehicle's oil-o-mometers are mostly marketing.  A memory of overall driving conditions + miles is much better, imo.  Don't exceed 6 months or 5,000 miles.  If you've set your cruise control for 95 mph a couple of times, go sooner based upon your gut.  Very scientific...

Good luck.

The Oil-life-meter of FCA is based entirely on empirical information, not on oil sampling. 

The factors include:

Mileage:  drive too far, you'll need oil change

Manifold Pressure (which relates to engine power output): if you have higher than average oil/manifold pressure, you're either towing or driving in the mountains; change oil more frequently.

Engine Hours: idle for extended periods of time? change that oil sooner.

By default, the clock is set to 7,000 miles- then the driving habits of the operator extend or reduce the time before the next change. 

usually the variance is +/- 1000 miles.

Chevrolet and Toyota does viscosity and quality testing of the oil in the engine (meaning if you use bad oil, the car should notice). FCA does 'close enough' pretty well. I can't complain.

The oil change light appeared after a long hill climb, and I was monitoring the oil temperature, wich was always close to 120 degrees celsius. Was too soon (7000km), so I believe it wasn´t reset on latest oil change.

I believe this indicators are for people who dont care about maintenance, and even don´t know what engine oil is, but I would like do monitor this indicator before it reaches 100% anyway.

• 2 weeks later...