Rough engine start for 20 seconds only

wowbones

Hey guys, I have a 2014 Dodge Journey. When I first start up this beast (I have nothing on at the start) I have a rough start (SUV shakes, engine sounds rough) this only lasts for about 20 seconds. Then the shaking stops, and everything runs very smoothly. That point I turn on a/c or heater.

I have changed the plugs about 3 weeks ago, I also get that P301 code so I changed the coil in #1.   Even tried swapping the new coil in a different spot. Nothing seems to make a difference.

Anyone with any tips ?

Thanks

Is P301 the only code you are getting? A short term rough idle at start up may be the result of the throttle not working correctly while cold. It is common for a sensor to fail, something that controls cold idle like a MAS or MAP sensor. During the summer months, cold idle will only last a very brief time before the RPM's drop to idle and the engine smooth's out. If one of the sensors are bad, the cold idle would be rough. In cold weather, this condition may last a couple of minutes.