Why the short plug change interval on the 2.4?

Brand new (less than 24 hours) owner of a 2016 SXT with a 4 cylinder.  The friendly folks on the "Welcome" forum mentioned changing plugs at 30k intervals, and today I dug into the Owner's Manual and saw that recommendation, as well.  I don't know that I've ever heard of a modern car needing plug changes so frequently.  Can anyone explain what the deal is or what happens if you exceed the recommended interval?  

Most modern cars now are using Iridium plugs which have a longer life span. The 3.6L uses them. The 2.4L uses copper core so has a change interval same as cars of the past. Compared to the 3.6, the plugs are easy to change.

You can try a more expensive plug. No harm but the cost.

Copper core plugs wear out faster. Exceeding the limit will risk mileage decrease and possible engine running issues. I think I went to 35k before I changed mine and they looked fine. You can experiment and see how long you can mke the original plugs last. I think someone on here went to like 80k on the OEM plugs and the gap was about 1/2"...lol

Change them every 30k and use OEM plugs. The engine runs best on copper core OEM plugs. It takes maybe 30 minutes to change them. Better safe than sorry. 

Edited by jkeaton

Oh definitely looks easy!  In fact, I don't think I've seen a car in modern history that looks as easy to work on as this one!  Tons of room in the engine compartment!

I am wondering about the battery removal process, though........

12 hours ago, boltsnapper said:

Oh definitely looks easy!  In fact, I don't think I've seen a car in modern history that looks as easy to work on as this one!  Tons of room in the engine compartment!

I am wondering about the battery removal process, though........

Not as difficult as some make it out to be. Sure it’s not as easy as if it were in the engine compartment, but it’s not rocket science.