Tint Taillight With Film? (2017 SXT)

How's it going y'all? I'm looking to add tint to my tail lights but I'm having some trouble as to which method (film or spray) 

The lights on the lift gate are nice & flat but the tail lights on the car itself have a nice curve to them. My question is, has anyone had success using film to tint the tail lights? If so how we're you able to get the film to lay over the tail lights, especially over the curve? I myself am a bit hesitant to use any kind of spray, I don't want to chance inconsistent coats. 

IMG_9930.JPG

On 6/5/2018 at 9:34 PM, retroloko said:

How's it going y'all? I'm looking to add tint to my tail lights but I'm having some trouble as to which method (film or spray) 

The lights on the lift gate are nice & flat but the tail lights on the car itself have a nice curve to them. My question is, has anyone had success using film to tint the tail lights? If so how we're you able to get the film to lay over the tail lights, especially over the curve? I myself am a bit hesitant to use any kind of spray, I don't want to chance inconsistent coats. 

IMG_9930.JPG

Spray can be trickey and hard to get a perfect shade consistency and irreversible . Film is also tricky to work with for a first timer but shade is consistent and it’s removable in case you get in trouble with law enforcement. I recommend finding a local shop to tint those usually charge about 50-70 dollars per taillights. 

The local tint shop I use ( Ontario Canada ) also uses the thicker film. Almost like a rubber and it looked great on another vehicle he showed me.When we had our headlight covers done it looked like you had to know what you were doing. Maybe not a job to tackle yourself ? Looks like your journey is begging for a little tint on its front windows too Ha Ha

• 3 years later...

IMG_9930.JPG

IMG_9930.JPG

I actually have the same question, I want to tint my back tail lights, of the same colored DJ,

I found this on amazon,

https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-Air-Tint-Headlight-Taillight-Air-Release/dp/B01GQRQ996/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B01GQRQ996&th=1

Edited by AOXOMOXOA

28 minutes ago, jkeaton said:

Why would you tint your taillights? So people can see you stopping less?

because it makes the car look better.

if you made it too dark it would cut down on what people can see,

but for those of us that have LED tail lights, a light smoke color tint would look sweet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/18/2022 at 11:42 PM, Locosiete said:

Granted you've already done it but was also going to say another benefit of having it wrapped vs painted if you ever need to replace a taillight, like i did, getting them to match exactly is allot tougher. 

I will have to cross that road when I get there. hopefully I will not have that issue.

I could just take it back to the same place since they are tinted

On 5/3/2022 at 5:49 AM, jkeaton said:

Theres a facebook group for people who tint their taillights so they work less.  lol

https://www.facebook.com/groups/902527446851726

They don't "work less" they are very bright LED lights. As far as the light goes, you cant even tell they are tinted when the lights are on.